New 5-Weight recommendations

Beacon Beige

Hello all.

I've been covetting a rod upgrade for a wee while.

I'm an Improving angler/caster (. Started out on an Orvis Encounter (9' 5#) outfit and have been fishing a Clearwater (10' 5#) for a while.

I'm ready to throw (a bit) more money at a rod, and hope to generate more feel, finesse and greater satisfaction as a result.

I fish mostly small still waters. And most of those are 'single fly' only venues, where I'll fish everything from dries, buzzers, nymphs up to the standard array of stillwater lures/attractors.

Looking for a mid range rod up to about £400 (ish). Sticking to 5-weight to match a growing collection of lines.

I've checked out reviews for Hardy Shadow/Demon, Guideline LPXe, Greys GR80, and Orvis Recon.

I'd like to get somewhere to try out a few, but clearly thats not on the cards right now. So I'm interested to hear opinions on those rods and whatever other 5-weights people are using for small stillwater fishing.

Cheers,

Matt

The Vision XO Graphene 9ft #5 or 9ft 3in #5 rods are on another level , If your budget can reach £850.00 these rods are well worth buying !

Col

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pati

Did you import that?
Available in Ireland but not the UK… How bizarre…

That said, in that vein Loop Cross SX is very close in action and in the opinion of G Anderson (from Yellowstone Angler - who wrote the shootout that made the Douglas Sky so famous) Loop Cross SX might actually have won the shoutout ahead of Douglas Sky if it had been received in time for said shootout…

Edit: just noticed you are talking Douglas Sky G not Douglas Sky. Unexpectedly given they largely share their name, two very different rods according to those fortunate enough to have tried both!

eddleston123

Going back to the very early 60's we all just owned ONE rod - Today the massive choice and the pressure for anglers to buy different rods for different disciplines only plays into the hands of the tackle market imo - most of the rod 'choices' available are totally unnecessary for the pursuit of trout.

Different rods, require different reels, different lines, and supposedly different terminal tackle.

We have all been conned!!

Douglas

lepirate

Going back to the very early 60's we all just owned ONE rod - Today the massive choice and the pressure for anglers to buy different rods for different disciplines only plays into the hands of the tackle market imo - most of the rod 'choices' available are totally unnecessary for the pursuit of trout.

Different rods, require different reels, different lines, and supposedly different terminal tackle.

Douglas
We used to just have bitter, brown ale and stout now we have hundreds of beers.. The world has changed ... for the better. Personally I like having many rods, reels and lines, they all add to the fun.. :D

jc123

Douglas

i don't go back that far, but far enough to remember a decent fly rod probably cost 5 or 6 times my weeks wages as a 16 year old, and not a lot of choice ( i did'nt buy one )
now you could get a rod for £20, or a decent rod for £40,
never had it so good really

running bear

i don't go back that far, but far enough to remember a decent fly rod probably cost 5 or 6 times my weeks wages as a 16 year old, and not a lot of choice ( i did'nt buy one )
now you could get a rod for £20, or a decent rod for £40,
never had it so good really
Exactly, an entry level carbon rod was 40 quid in the mid eighties iirc. Weekends at the petrol pumps and summers in a fish processing factory paid 1 pound/hr. Similar jobs now probably pay 8 quid an hour, 320 quid a week, a good mid range rod. Anything at the 100 quid mark is a relative bargain.
And the 40 quid rod of the 80s wasnt a patch on the 30 quid rods of today.

Bobfly2

Gullible anglers are taken into the churn of new season models of virtually all tackle and clothing. Few are not drawn in. For ease of solving Xmas and birthdays I ask for sensibly priced gift vouchers. I usually find them hard to spend but at least it is not an unwanted gift!

Latest posts