new 8wt for sea bass fishing

gooner

I
The BVK 7 and 8 are nice; however the earlier models are a bit ‘agricultural’. I had a TiCrX 9wt and it wouldn’t work until I put a 10 line on it. It was an absolute canon.
I hear the best for the BVK from everyone for distance casting and it was my first choice until i decied to upgrade my budget thanks!

JRT

The Recons are not medium-fast, they are fast with a decent tip so cast short as well as long. The new ones are supposed to be more powerful in the butt. I had a 40lb Cobia on my 10wt Recon last month so they definitely have the minerals to horse fish in.
You need to cast rods before buying them as you will be doing a lot blind casting fishing for UK bass. I avoid poker stiff rods for this reason - they are more designed for sight fishing IMO.

treerat

I’ve got too many rods but I’ve got to say my BVK #9 is my go to.I own a loomis NRX in a #9 But most of the time it’s the BVK I grab.
Ive got a bald chubby mate who loves his Recon unfortunately the list of decent rods is long and one rod suits one but not the other.
Too much choice as JRT says you need to cast them to know

gooner

The Recons are not medium-fast, they are fast with a decent tip so cast short as well as long. The new ones are supposed to be more powerful in the butt. I had a 40lb Cobia on my 10wt Recon last month so they definitely have the minerals to horse fish in.
You need to cast rods before buying them as you will be doing a lot blind casting fishing for UK bass. I avoid poker stiff rods for this reason - they are more designed for sight fishing IMO.
[/QUO
To be honest ( and i am not the only)the thing that i dont like that recon have is the orvis logo in the base of the blank! i know this doesnt hurt the performance but when you decide to give a serious amount of money to buy something you must like it aethistically too!To bad i live in greece and noone have fly rods here so i must rely in opinion of others and from what each companys claims about their product... In Greece bass fishing there is 100% blind casting thats why i want a rod that can cast long distances

gooner

I’ve got too many rods but I’ve got to say my BVK #9 is my go to.I own a loomis NRX in a #9 But most of the time it’s the BVK I grab.
Ive got a bald chubby mate who loves his Recon unfortunately the list of decent rods is long and one rod suits one but not the other.
Too much choice as JRT says you need to cast them to know
You prefer the bvk more than the nrx? performance wise or it suits you better? i cant cast the rods here in greece there is no retailer...

squimp

FWIW I own an NRX 9wt and really like it. I haven’t cast the BVK 9, so can’t make a direct comparison.

My regular fishing mate is a very, very experienced saltwater angler and he tried the NRX on our last trip and said that it was the best 9wt he had ever cast.

treerat

The NRX is a great rod but for me it’s not a every day rod more like a rod to use on the odd occasion.Its a cannon when coupled with a decent line I’ve been using Rio coastal quickshooter xd.
The BVK for me is just a bit more user friendly for me anyway.Im quite happy to throw the BVK around a bit scramble over rocks and generally miss treat it.
I’m not going to do that to a rod that costs 4 times as much as the BVK.
The NRX has the edge on distance but not by much as the BVK can most certainly throw a line.

gooner

The NRX is a great rod but for me it’s not a every day rod more like a rod to use on the odd occasion.Its a cannon when coupled with a decent line I’ve been using Rio coastal quickshooter xd.
The BVK for me is just a bit more user friendly for me anyway.Im quite happy to throw the BVK around a bit scramble over rocks and generally miss treat it.
I’m not going to do that to a rod that costs 4 times as much as the BVK.
The NRX has the edge on distance but not by much as the BVK can most certainly throw a line.
I am going to match the payload with the quickshooter xp 8wt! how you rate it as distance line and quality?

treerat

It’s pretty good for distance but not a massive improvement on other lines I use.The fact running line does tend tangle is annoying but a good stretch seems to help.
JRT uses the non XP version maybe he’d give his thoughts as he’s cast both.

JRT

I use the XP version too as this is the same as the old Outbound Short. But I underline the rod as these lines are 3+ overrated - the 8wt version is 330grains which is perfect for most 9wts IMO.

gooner

I just contacted with sage and they said coastal quickshooter xp and outbound short are perfect match for the payload 8wt for distance casting...

Latest posts