New Air Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee71

Hi gang - this is timely as I'm in the market for an air rifle for plinking rats that are snuffling round my chicken enclosure's,
Any recommendations for this task, weight not overly critical as I'll be only using it for an hour or so in the evening & I don't need to walk far!
Like a few on on here had a few Springer's back in the day including a early hw77 so was wondering what is around nowadays??
Any advice appreciated
Have a look at the remington range, http://www.bigdansairguns.co.uk/Remington.php

suzzy buzzer

I had a Remmington express, 2” groups at 20 yds. Sounded like someone kicking an empty dustbin down the stairs.

suzzy buzzer

Do different brand pellets make a big difference, the local post office/corner shop only sold bull dog if I mind right? that was pretty much it for me.

Al
Yes, but there are many factors such as pellet weight and how this interacts with the shot cycle, the type of lead alloy used, and the final fit into the bore. Eg, when you buy pellets from the better manufacturers, you will have an option for 5.5,5.51,5.52,5.53 for ,22, same for.177.
In a gun cheap gun with a rubbish barrell, you are on a hiding to nothing, but for instance a decent setup might group 1/2” or 1” with different quality pellets from the same manufacturer.
There is also the issue of ‘fliers’ , this is where an otherwise good group is ruined by odd shots landing outside a group. The theory as I understand it is that certain pellet and barrel combinations can leave a greater than normal deposit of lead in the bore, and occasionally a pellet picks this up , this then causes the shot to be a flier.
Your best bet is to choose a gun of recognised quality, and then ask in the FB shooting groups or forums what owners of that gun favour for pellet choice. You’ll not get a single definitive answer, but you’ll see enough to get going.
The point is, is that if you are shooting rats at 20 yds, and standard JSB pellets are giving you 5p groups at this range, your search for a pellet is over.
There is also pellet weight to consider. A light pellet has a flatter trajectory and gets there quicker, but it hits with less energy and can make the shot cycle in spring gun a bit ‘snappy’ with more noticeable recoil.
a heavier pellet will have a more curved trajectory, but hits harder, and can make the shot cycle more relaxed, resulting in less noticeable recoil, and greater accuracy.
Regarding calibre, and in particular with spring guns, if you are shooting quarry within 25yds, and weight isn’t an issue, then I would suggest a 77 or tx200 in .22, the tx being the nicer of the 2 guns IMO.
When practicing or finding zero, adopt exactly the same position and rest as you intend to use shooting live quarry. Don’t zero off bean bags, and then take a shot at a rat while leaning against a wall or resting on a hard surface, your point of impact will be well outside a humane kill zone.

myriad

Administrator
Staff member
Didnt know you could advertise for air rifles on this forum?
If so you could have some competition ha ha
Cheers
Garry:)
You cant,It is in the rules.Any adverts of any dangerous items will be removed.

Paul_B

I've been out of it for a while but been on airgunforum for a few months as looking to get a new one, there is a couple of fellas on there who sell tune-up kits but unsure about terminator one. My best springer I ever had was a 1986 venom tuned lazaglide HW 80 (wish I'd still got it) then went pcp.
Airforce used to be the kit of choice (in Sheffield) with the square section mainspring/oxspring. Used to be a bit naughty tho as it would take rifle above limit.
I had an Oxspring in my airsporter, I gave the gun to my brother to shoot woodies on his veg garden when I bought my AA-S410, I prefer the PCP and do like the 10 shot capacity.
I can pop a squirrel and reload as the second turns around to see why its pal dropped, likewise if theres 3 in the tree, the accuracy is amazing.

They shouldn't mess with my nuts :)

JayP

I had an Oxspring in my airsporter, I gave the gun to my brother to shoot woodies on his veg garden when I bought my AA-S410, I prefer the PCP and do like the 10 shot capacity.
I can pop a squirrel and reload as the second turns around to see why its pal dropped, likewise if theres 3 in the tree, the accuracy is amazing.

They shouldn't mess with my nuts :)
What pellets are you using in the S410?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts