New angler, send help!

Dru91

Hey everyone, new here and totally new to fishing! I've visited a couple of my local trout fisheries and have been looking at a bunch of videos and decided to give flyfishing a try.

So I've yet to buy my first flyfishing rod and I've done a bit of reading here and there and the general consensus from what I've gathered is that its typically a good idea to get a 9ft, 5 or 6 wt rod for a beginner. One of my local fisheries stocks mostly trout which I hear this is a good wt rod for; however there is also a loch I'd like to fish which is popular for both Trout and Pike, but I've read that you need at least a 7wt for Pike.

So I suppose my question is; should I get a 7wt and is it appropriate for the Trout and Pike fishing. I've read alot of comments around various sites mentioning how bad it is to be under wt for a certain fish due to the possibility of breaking the rod but I'm still unsure on the drawbacks of using a rod that some might consider "overkill"?

Is it just bad sport to use a higher wt rod for smaller fish or are there practical reasons against this?

I hope to fish this loch at some point soon and I really didn't want to fork out for a 5wt and 7/8wt rod while just getting into it.

Thanks in advance!

Dru

taffy1

Welcome to the forum Dru, I'd suggest getting the 9' #5 to get yourself started, a few casting lessons before progressing for pike as the bits on the end of the line are totally different. Anyway good luck on your fly fishing journey. (y)

PaulD

Yes, a 9ft, 5 or 6 wt rod is a good rod to start with and get to grips with casting and fishing for trout. Pike fly fishing is a completely different 'kettle of fish' (sorry 😀) and for sensible pike fishing you need an 8/9 weight rod and a particular profile fly line that's capable of casting pike flies that are often the size of a Budgerigar!

tangled

These days 9’ #5 is regarded as a rod that can be used for most things, at a push - lakes, rivers, bank, boat. It's a great rod to learn with being light and handleable. I use it for almost everything - even salmon; modern carbon rods can tow a baby buggy with onboard baby.

The main consideration about the weight of a rod is not really the size of fish but the size and weight of the fly it has to cast. To chuck a big pike lure you need a heavy line which needs a heavy-weight rod. I really wouldn't start heavy!

Get yourself a few lessons before you buy anything and talk to the teacher, he'll put you right.

Dru91

Many thanks for the warm welcome and swift replies!

I will probably just go for the 5wt rod to begin with then; but just to clarify what is the general consensus on using a 8wt rod for fishing Trout?

Is this a big no-no or can it be done?

thetrouttickler

Many thanks for the warm welcome and swift replies!

I will probably just go for the 5wt rod to begin with then; but just to clarify what is the general consensus on using a 8wt rod for fishing Trout?

Of course it can be done - a bazooka will win every fist fight :) but it's a bit overkill.

tangled

what is the general consensus on using a 8wt rod for fishing Trout?

You can use any size rod to fly fish for trout - it's just a question of what's optimum for the situation.. To give you a clue I have used a 10' #8 for salmon up to a meter long chucking big treble lures. You could use it to catch 1lb trout on a size 16 dry fly but it's overkill, heavy to use and the line will make quite a splash! Probably scare everything upstream :cool:

Dru91

Got it!

Think I'm ready to buy that rod then; thanks for all your help :)

Rob Edmunds

I totally get where you are coming from....

A 9ft to 9ft 6 #7/8 weight rod, and you can just about do everything with it, although it will be a bit soft for 20lb plus pike and large flies....over 6 inch

However most Pike and predator flies are now a lot smaller than when it first started ( because pike fishing has become much more popular and the fish have wised up so dont want the huge flies )

4 to 6 inch flies are about right for most waters and you could get away with flies of this size on a 7/8 rod with an 8ft leader of 15 to 18lb fluro although an #8 or 9 weight rod would be a lot easier to cast.

A lot will depend on the size of the fish you are targeting and are the size of the water.....

If the Pike are mostly 8 to 10lb with the biggest 15lb a 7/8 weight is fine.....same principles goes for the trout, if they are mostly 2 to 3lb then a 7/8 weight is fine

But if the trout are only 12oz to 1.5lb then a 7/8 weight is going to be too heavy and a #5 weight would be more fun....

Last edited:

anzac

A 6 Wt is more often than not is what is recommended for reservoir fishing. A 5 Wt is also a good choice. 9 ft rods in these weights are pretty much ideal. A 7 Wt will do, but may be too heavy for smaller reservoirs and rivers. Alan Sefton's book, Getting Started at Fly fishing for Trout is an excellent guide for the beginner in particular. It will show you the basics of casting, how to set up your rod, and even a few tips for fishing. It is available from Amazon.co.uk. It is a 'must read' for the novice fly fisher.

Dru91

I was thinking about going for something like this for the Trout fishing as my first rod:

I know its fairly cheap but I didn't want to break the bank on my first rod and this one comes with a lot of extras plus the life time repair warranty so I figure it must be at least somewhat robust.

What do you think?

Are there any particular brands or rods you guys would reccomend or does this seem like an alright buy?

cgaines10

I wouldn't go for that personally, you can get some decent setups for that price. Shakespeare offer some excellent setups for probably cheaper than that. Also check out the classifieds as there is always good deals in there.

I'd stick with the 9' #5 & fish for trout, get used to casting & presentation etc. Then at a later stage try your hand at pike fishing. Casting those big flies, when you're new to it is a recipe for disaster imo.

anzac

There are a fair few blokes on here that use and like Maxcatch.. I personally like and use Grey's rods and reels. Glasgow Angling Centre and others generally have some Grey's kit at discounted prices.

springwell

There's a lot of Maxcatch users on here who like the gear. I've one of their "more expensive" rods and it's ok . The line are very good value.

Check out the Maxcatch thread in the tackle section.

Have you looked at Maxcatch's own website, you might find other combo's cheaper there.

If you are after a combo though it might be worth contacting Garry Evans who can usually knock up a good setup at a decent price for you.

Dru91

Thanks; I'll have a look around and see what else I can find given the reccomendations

anzac

Dru91, Garry Evan's has Grey's GR 60 complete setups (rod, reel, line, etc.) On sale for £220. That's hard to beat, especially for someone just getting started in the sport.

Dru91

I'm up north mate in central Scotland so a wee bit far away sadly, but I really appreciate the offer! I ended up buying the maxcatch rod. The deal above although I'm sure it was a good un' I didn't want to fork out over £200 on my first rod so just went with the cheaper option for now. Feels and looks alright though, gonna be testing it tomorrow hopefully!

hutch6

Let us know how you get on and don't forget to let the fish dictate what fly to use. If they're on top rising then do with emerger or dry, if there' nothing rising go below and mix up your retrieve, they might want something to chase or they might want something they can pick up as they cruise around.
10mins spent at the waters edge just watching saves a lot of frustration.

ejw

Dru, 9' 5wt is fine for all. I use a light rods most of the time. Maxcatch will outperform a Shakespeare every time in the lighter weights (I know I have tested them !). Pike after the initial run are not a problem, only time they are is if they go to the bottom and hug it, as a 5wt will struggle to move it. As mentioned in earlier posts, no real need for large flies. I use a Kamasan B175 hook (heavy weight standard wet fly) with a white lure dressing for Pike and have fished it on 3wt rods for large trout and pike (in open water). I have caught up to 100 pike in this time, up to 20lb (10' Greys Streamflex 4wt).
No need for any different set up from trout (will also pick up perch). I do not use a wire trace, just 8lb fluro, as with a smaller fly, it hooks up in the scissors, not had a snap off as yet (over 10 years in targeting pike). Before anyone questions the use of light weight gear, I tend to video my catches, Pike of 12lb - 15lb can be seen hitting the fly, total time from hooking to releasing (as it wouldn't fit in the net) 33seconds on a 4wt rod, from a float tube.
See video if the link works. This was with the same 4wt rod.

Benefits of using lighter weight rods are less personal strain, so longer time fishing, downside difficult in strong winds and for any distance work.

Latest posts