New attempt at Endrick Spider.

Oldbones

Tried this again, I like this better.
IMG_1674 (2).JPG

ohanzee

Can I ask the origins of the Endrick spider? my recollection is it was possibly a former forum member called 'Endrick', his name was Malcolm and an old friend, I'm not sure if it originated with him or if he reinvented it as a personal version.

Oldbones

It's origins are allegedly that it was first tied by John Harwood, to fish the River Endrick.
I think that is what I read some where in a fly tying book, apparently a very good pattern which is very effective.

ackroyd

John Harwood wrote an article in FF & FT about fishing the Endrick some time ago. He caught a lot of fish by tying loads of flies and being prepared to fish them in difficult waters where it was easy to lose them. I think the article was sometime in the last two or three years, but I do not have the precise date to hand just now. Here are my notes about the article, such as they are.

His Endrick Spider had a copper underbody all the way down the shank, then another half-layer from the head. That underbody was then covered with hot orange thread. He also tied some without the copper underbody for low water. He also recommended the Invicta, a white wool maggot fly with a copper rib and a red head, and finally a TB &S with the hackle palmered down the body according to my notes.

Oldbones

John Harwood wrote an article in FF & FT about fishing the Endrick some time ago. He caught a lot of fish by tying loads of flies and being prepared to fish them in difficult waters where it was easy to lose them. I think the article was sometime in the last two or three years, but I do not have the precise date to hand just now. Here are my notes about the article, such as they are.

His Endrick Spider had a copper underbody all the way down the shank, then another half-layer from the head. That underbody was then covered with hot orange thread. He also tied some without the copper underbody for low water. He also recommended the Invicta, a white wool maggot fly with a copper rib and a red head, and finally a TB &S with the hackle palmered down the body according to my notes.
This fly has a copper underbody, but not as much as the recipe above, the rive I will fish is quite shallow, in fact very shallow, so we will see how it work, hopefully very soon, even this week perhaps.

The Endrick Spider

July 2015 but with so much having been cut out it is not worth reading. Having worked in the printing industry for 30 years I am aware of the fact that space is precious. This article should have been twice as long so having cut so much out then why bother putting it in at all?

arkle

I'd just about stopped tying for PeterMcKenzie-Philps around the time that John Harwood started working for him, which was a bit before the T&S article was published. I don't know how long they'd had the article on their files, prior to publishing though

bbamboo

I'd just about stopped tying for PeterMcKenzie-Philps around the time that John Harwood started working for him, which was a bit before the T&S article was published. I don't know how long they'd had the article on their files, prior to publishing though
That is correct the first time I seen one was in McKenzie Phillips catalogue 1983 👍
Arkle do you have the dressing for Helens fancy?

Last edited:

The Endrick Spider

It must have been a different John Harwood you are thinking of for I never worked for him, he was just a friend, It is true that Peter did ask if I would tie flies for the shop, however, I had to explain that I only tie flies when I feel like it, not because I have to. These dirty wet filthy days like today, these are the kind of days where I find time to tie flies and compile articles for a weekly journal that I have been writing for for over 30 years. Now having arthritis in my hands tying flies is not so simple. The chap that tied flies for him was John Harris, (not John Harwood) so you were not far away with the name. There was another chap that worked for him called Andy Caress but I don't think he was involved in any fly-tying. Then of course there was his wife Sue who also worked in the shop.

bbamboo

I used to buy all sorts from Yorkshire game fishing
Peter's shop, had my first casting lessons as well from Peter good bloke he was.👍

Vintage Badger

I still have a double VHS video of advanced trout casting and fly tying by Peter Mackenzie-Philps, which I bought in the ealy 90s. Coincidentally, I actually watched the trout casting tape a few weeks ago before going fishing for the first time in around 10 years and found it helpful. I was quite surprised that the video tape and player both still worked OK!

Last edited:

bbamboo

I still have a double VHS video of advanced trout casting and fly tying by Peter Mackenzie-Philps, which I bought in the ealy 90s. Coincidentally, I actually watched the trout casting tape a few weeks ago before going fishing for the first time in around 10 years and found it helpful. I was quite surprised that the video tape and player both still worked OK!
Yes it's a good one I also have the fly tying one he did .

The Endrick Spider

I did have these along with one of Peter fishing with Steve Parton. I lent them out to my doctor and never saw them again. This was probably my own fault for being healthy for at that time for I never had to make any doctors appointments either. I still have the photo of Peter with a 25lb salmon that he had just caught and then returned on the River Tweed. You do not see many people going fishing wearing a checked shirt and tie. Peter caught his first ever salmon on the River Endrick when he was staying at a hotel in Fintry. He caught it on a a Teal, Blue and Silver.

bbamboo

I did have these along with one of Peter fishing with Steve Parton. I lent them out to my doctor and never saw them again. This was probably my own fault for being healthy for at that time for I never had to make any doctors appointments either. I still have the photo of Peter with a 25lb salmon that he had just caught and then returned on the River Tweed. You do not see many people going fishing wearing a checked shirt and tie. Peter caught his first ever salmon on the River Endrick when he was staying at a hotel in Fintry. He caught it on a a Teal, Blue and Silver.
I remember asking Steve Parton about that video on the boat with Peter, he said he could not cast. He was a laugh was Steve always answered the phone by insulting you remember lol.
Two great guys sadly taken away from us RIP.

roadrunner1000

I still have a few flies bought from Mackenzie-Philps , probably around 1984. Perhaps you tied them !!