New challenge

Rod44

Hi all

Having recently relocated to Vale of Neath in South Wales im really getting the itch to try the river on the fly . Fished all my life , course , carp , beach casting and then the last 7 or so years have been exclusively bass lure fishing . I have the river Neath on my doorstep and with yearly permits available for not much money im thinking i could enjoy a new challenge . Believe its known primarily as a Sewin river , maybe something for the future if i get into it , but for now im looking at getting a modest outfit , maybe some local instruction , guide , and just having a go for brown trout . Maybe still water would be more suitable enviroment to start out , but im only really interested in catching wild fish in parallel with my bass fishing .
Has anyone any knowledge of this area , how this river fishes for trout ? bearing in mind im just looking to get on some water and learn the basics at this stage . In terms of set up , it seems a fairly modest sized river with lots of trees and foilage to hamper casting , so any ideas on a suitable set up to get started would be much appreciated . The choice of flys is simply mind boggling , is there a handfull of favourites that would cover a few situations at this time of year ?
A lot of questions i know , any feed back most welcome !

Regards
Rod

taffy1

There are 3 clubs & 2 private sections that control the fishing on the Neath. The clubs are, top-end Glynneath Angling, middle/bottom Neath & Dulais Angling Club which share the tidal stretches with the Neath Gun Shop. the 2 private stretches are both in the middle section which are owned by farmers. The tidal area has bass & mullet which enter the system around May, makes for a nice distraction when the trout fishing gets tough.

Rod44

Thanks for the reply taffy , very useful info there . Im catching tantalising glimpses of the river from the heads of the valleys road , think i need to contact a club and get heads up on exactly whats what . Im looking at the stretch from Glyyneath down to Resolven . Can anyone offer any pointers on set up suitability to get me up and running , not looking to spend too much at this stage in case its not for me .

taffy1

From just above the 2 man-made lakes (LHS travelling south on the by-pass), just below Glynneath, the fishing is controlled by Neath & Dulais Angling Club (who also have permission to fish both lakes - coarse fishing). At the roundabout for Resolven there's a free public car park (taking a right at the roundabout) which is right next to the river, making for easy access & fairly safe parking. Hope this helps.

Rod44

Most helpful indeed , much appreciated . Funnily enough i pulled into that very car park today for a look and a wander ! Also had a walk around the lakes the other evening on our dog walk , stumbled across the river there to . Seems that much of the Neath is tricky to access , no manicured pathways here , but i prefer that and will enjoy exploring . I now know which club to approach so thankyou .

taffy1

Straight across the road from the car park entrance/exit there is a bit of a dirt track, going beyond the footbridge, you come to where the Clydach brook enters the Neath, above that there is a field where you have access right back up to the by-pass bridge. access is decent & the fishing can be good, especially after the first spate in July. Many migratory fish make it up this far by then.

Rod44

Ah yes i noticed that track with padlocked gate across it , im guessing then that angling club members would
have access up there . I went up the canal and took a path off right and through the trees back to the river , followed it all the way up to the road bridge . Good to explore a bit first and get a rough idea on likely spots to fish . Thanks again , you clearly know the area well .

taffy1

..................you clearly know the area well .
Over a period of a week a mate & myself fished the river from top to bottom just to see what the prospects were. Salmon parr seemed to be most of our daytime exploits, which in essence, proves it's a migratory river as per your original post. Glynneath & NADAC used to supplement trout fishing with a monthly stock of diploids before the exclusion to triploid only. Not fished the river now for a couple of years at least.

Latest posts