New Fly rod recommendations

emrsw01

Hi,
Got 2 Airflo Delta Classic 10ft 6in 7/8wt fly rods which i mainly use for boat fishing on large reservoirs.
Did buy a Greys GR? a year ago and did not like it so sold it on Ebay. Think it cost about £150.
Looking to replace/upgrade the Deltas as ferrules starting to loosen up but don't want to make same mistake as before and buy a rod which doesn't suit me.
Any recommendations? Quite keen to stay with Airflo as have been happy with the budget version i am using at the moment.
Thanks in advance

Scotty90

The airflo super stick comp special 10 foot 6 weight is a great rod, plenty powerful to fish down to di3 sinkers comfortably but the rod excels with the washing line and dries. Go up to the 7 weight if you fish sinkers deeper and more often. A very underrated rod and less than 200 quid.

easker1

I got a Graphite spray to build up the ferrules but wax works well and is cheaper, my rod is 12 years old and good for another 12, easker1

atr

That old adage "try before you buy " holds well with most of the guys on here.All the rods mentioned will hold you in good stead but it's good to take some time out and go to a reputable dealers and give them a cast.Take your time. (y)

Rob Edmunds

We all have different casting styles, arielise different amounts of line and prefer different methods....

Everybody should always try a rod before they buy it no matter what the price....and with more than just a floating line and a small fly with a perfect back wind.

I believe there are genuinely very few cr@p rods on the market.......more that the rod, method and angler aren't suited to each other...

Rod design and material hasn't advanced much in the last 20 years, its negligible....manufacturers rebrand and rename rods, claim it's faster, lighter, or the swing weight is less....its utter shite....

Top end rods 10 - 15 years ago are equal or superior to today's models.....anyone that says different is lying or has a vested interest in selling new rods...

Look at it logically, a Orvis Helios ZG was as good if not better than the Orvis Helios 3D.

Sage TCX is equal to Sage X

Loomis Glx and GLX-D is superior to Loomis NRX or Asquith...

Greys Platinum range better than anything Greys produce now...

The best " value" rods are those in the £100 to £175 price range.....you get actions virtually identical to top end models ( because they copy the actions)...the only difference is the warranty and the weight ( slightly heavier)

JCP

Think already have the answer.If like the Airflo then buy another one.Simples.Otherwise the land of confusion awaits unless you can cast a few options.

JP

Rhithrogena

That old adage "try before you buy " holds well with most of the guys on here.All the rods mentioned will hold you in good stead but it's good to take some time out and go to a reputable dealers and give them a cast.Take your time
Is there a list anywhere of outlets where you can have a cast with a rod or two? I'm not aware of anywhere in Cornwall but I remember Snowbee in Plymouth used to have a facility.
Where are the others, please, anybody?

original cormorant

Think already have the answer.If like the Airflo then buy another one.Simples.Otherwise the land of confusion awaits unless you can cast a few options.

JP
Now that Airflo are owned by Mayfly (Abel) and fishtec has wound down can you still buy airflo fly rods?

Hardrar

Best bang for buck are Shakespeare Sigma Supras- awesome rods- none flash Matt finish. I boiled the all Alloy heavy reel seats and replaced with one of Micks poplar/ alloy seats and saved 30g! Now as light as mist top end rods and they cast so well!

markemark21

Sharpes of Aberdeen needs a mention. The Gordon great rod I have two. They pop up on ebay