New Gun Day

kevind62

Trust Member
I'm not a big airgun user. I have a spring model I use for squirrels that get in to my pecan trees. I must say though, I am quite impressed with the models I see on here. I've never seen anything so elaborate. I'm sure they are available online here in the US but they don't have them in our sporting goods stores. I just happen to be surfing the channels on the TV last night and came across one of our Outdoor Channel shows that had a special on the shooting competitions you folks have on your side of the pond. The accuracy of these guns are also quite incredible for an airgun.

For me, there was a bit of a learning curve on the spring loaded model. Once I figured it out I became much more proficient. But the accuracy of these "cheaper" models is minimal. Mine is good out to maybe 18 meters (meaning I can hit the squirrel. Not always exactly where I am aiming but sufficient for a quick kill.). Outside of that it drops to maybe 50% on small targets like squirrels.

As soon as I can figure out how to post pictures I'll post some of my weaponry. ;). I ain't skeerd. :D (that's redneck. Translation: I am not afraid.)

speytime

Well Berts comment will give you an idea of what the uk is like regarding gun's, the government has managed to make guns socially unacceptable, demonised them hence Berts post "No disrespect Bert" I realise you're only advising...
But as a fac holder myself anyone not liking it is tough, the law says I can own registered firearms.

Al

Last edited:

JayP

I'm not a big airgun user. I have a spring model I use for squirrels that get in to my pecan trees. I must say though, I am quite impressed with the models I see on here. I've never seen anything so elaborate. I'm sure they are available online here in the US but they don't have them in our sporting goods stores. I just happen to be surfing the channels on the TV last night and came across one of our Outdoor Channel shows that had a special on the shooting competitions you folks have on your side of the pond. The accuracy of these guns are also quite incredible for an airgun.

For me, there was a bit of a learning curve on the spring loaded model. Once I figured it out I became much more proficient. But the accuracy of these "cheaper" models is minimal. Mine is good out to maybe 18 meters (meaning I can hit the squirrel. Not always exactly where I am aiming but sufficient for a quick kill.). Outside of that it drops to maybe 50% on small targets like squirrels.

As soon as I can figure out how to post pictures I'll post some of my weaponry. ;). I ain't skeerd. :D (that's redneck. Translation: I am not afraid.)
Kevin,
In Europe we have refined airguns from manufactures such as Air Arms, Daystate and FX in the US you have the Umarex Hammer 😂

Paul_B

With my PCP air gun I can sit under the walnut tree and wait for the squirrels, they usually come with friends, when I've shot the first the second looks to see why it dropped, at this point I shoot that one, the third runs away but they always turn to see if their friends are following and that's when I shoot that one. Its a bolt action so is incredibly fast to reload and having no recoil incredibly accurate

deddog

I too recently acquired a air rifle, a gift from Mrs deddog for my 60th birthday.
I haven't shot an airgun for over thirty years so I was very happy to put together a ten shot group at 20 meters that I could cover with a pound coin straight after zeroing the scope using a rolled up towel on a brick as a rest.
After a bit of practice I can regularly hit 5p groups even with a bit of a breeze, boy these PCP rifles are a big step up from my GAT!
I'm not too keen on the colour of the stock, a tin of Hammerite would soon sort that out.
Need to get out to a range soon to test it at a greater distance.

Goldstar SE.jpg

rockslider

Airguns are not so common here as you still need a license for them, so if you have a license you would probably just get a rifle in .177 or .22.
If any of you guys are in Ireland with your gun and want target practice, i have a milking parlour available for plenty of night sport (rats obviously). have a guy with a couple of ferret coming next week, dont want to use poison because of barn owls.

kevind62

Trust Member
Kevin,
In Europe we have refined airguns from manufactures such as Air Arms, Daystate and FX in the US you have the Umarex Hammer 😂
I have seen these on television on hunting shows and they are quite impressive. At short range (< 50 meters) I've seen them knock large game literally off its feet at impact. Almost as powerful as our black powder .50 cal weapons. The black powder guns have more range but are extremely loud and you have to wait for the smoke to clear to see if you were successful in hitting your target.

glueman

There are no red squirrels in Cambridge as far as I am aware and where I catch them in traps there arn't any red ones. In fact my son in Cumbria tells me there are less and less red ones there but they are now seeing grey ones

kevind62

Trust Member
Every weapon below is used for hunting purposes. And some for personal defense.

The two shotguns are pretty self explanatory.
The rifle to the left is a Browning .270 Semi-Auto for medium range deer hunting. ( < 300 meters )
The rifle to the right is a Remington .270 Bolt Action for long range deer hunting. ( 300 - 600 meters )
The top rifle (black with thumbhole stock) is a .50 cal muzzle loader. Just because I enjoy taking deer with it. :D
The top AR-15 is a .223 for long range hog and predator hunting. (100 meters - 400 meters )
The bottom AR-15 is a .223 for close range hog hunting. ( < 100 meters ) It is equipped with a holographic sight and a laser for quick target acquisition.

The handguns are all for close range personal defense against hogs, predators..........and people.

IMG_5640 copy.jpg

Latest posts