New Hobby

dasco

I’d like to have go at building my first fly rod.
Any recommendations please for a starter kit.
Do I buy the tools from one supplier and the blanks from another? What is the form?
Thanks - Dave

rfishpond

Hi Dave

Depends what you want to build some blanks only from some suppliers and then fittings the same others you can get more widespread

Taniwha on here, guides n blanks, anglers lodge, bloke and rod rings and things can all supply everything you need. there's also some good step by steps and books to guide you Art Shecks boot " fly rod building made easy" is also a good reference point

Lots of folk happy to answer as on here and we usually all agree or reach consensus!

Hopefully someone will chip in if I've missed another supplier

Richard

R

River Fly

Hi Dave I've built 2 rods so far, one for river and one for stillwaters.

As above, it depends on what you want to use it for. I can recommend having a chat with Mick Bell of Bloke rods, he'll be able to get you started with everything.

Another good site to look at is guidesnblanks.co.uk

rfishpond

Hi

Sorry it was meadow fishery not anglers lodge in my first post (sorry John if you are reading this!)

Richard

bonito

If you give a hint as to which rod you want to build it is simple to point you to exactly where to get things.

I`m assuming a not too expensive fly rod for your first go. You are looking at a blank, reel seat, cork grip (maybe short rear butt) set of guides and thread as the components. In addition you will need adhesive, thread resin, brushes.

As to tools, set of sharp small scissors, single edge blades, that`s really all you need for tools to get you started. You can fashion a burnishing tool from lots of things (or on a fly rod your finger nail does fine). At the end of the day a small turner for applying and drying the thread resin will be handy.

Obviously you can go in a lot more extensive than the above but given that short list and by simply changing the components / blank you can build any rod that exists from a 2# fly rod to a 130lb marlin rod.

dasco

Thanks for your reply. I don’t want to be too ambitious but would like to try and build a 6’00” - 2wt - 4 pce fly rod.
I don’t want to spend a million pounds on a ‘first try’ but neither do I want to buy something so cheap, that I need to change it tomorrow.
Any suggestions based on this info would be really welcome.
Thank you.

bonito

Thanks for your reply. I don’t want to be too ambitious but would like to try and build a 6’00” - 2wt - 4 pce fly rod.
I don’t want to spend a million pounds on a ‘first try’ but neither do I want to buy something so cheap, that I need to change it tomorrow.
Any suggestions based on this info would be really welcome.
Thank you.

You might struggle to find that size of blank in UK. Mick at Bloke may have something, your other alternative is NEXT tackle on e bay, blanks come from Bulgaria (BFC) Bulgaria Fly Co. I built 6 of their nymph rods last winter and a couple frm Mick, not a thing wrong with them, made far East but then again so are most of the "big" names at 20 x the cost for no or little gain.

Just checked their trade list for BFC, closest they have is a 6ft 6" , 4 section, 3#. Lightest I keep in stock is 9ft, 4 section, 4# and that is a Rainshadow blank.

Just a thought here, for your first attempt you could be looking at a world of pain building on something so light, your choice of course but you may want to attempt something a bit more beefy for a first go.

When you make you mind up, only to happy to help you out as you go along, I build the odd rod or two.

dasco

You might struggle to find that size of blank in UK. Mick at Bloke may have something, your other alternative is NEXT tackle on e bay, blanks come from Bulgaria (BFC) Bulgaria Fly Co. I built 6 of their nymph rods last winter and a couple frm Mick, not a thing wrong with them, made far East but then again so are most of the "big" names at 20 x the cost for no or little gain.

Just checked their trade list for BFC, closest they have is a 6ft 6" , 4 section, 3#. Lightest I keep in stock is 9ft, 4 section, 4# and that is a Rainshadow blank.

Just a thought here, for your first attempt you could be looking at a world of pain building on something so light, your choice of course but you may want to attempt something a bit more beefy for a first go.

When you make you mind up, only to happy to help you out as you go along, I build the odd rod or two.
Mmm... I'm a fly man and I have already a 5wt and 7wt rods and would like to try small stream/river fishing. Hence the choice of building a 2/3wt. Your advice re the light rod and possible difficulty puts a different dimension to my thinking.
Why is building a light rod more difficult that a heavier one? I tie my own flies and understand the need for neatness and attention to detail. Does this skill transfer to rod building?

bonito

Dave it`s not more difficult than any other rod it is simply very light and fragile to start with, nothing else. The tip will be around the thickness of 30lb mono and you have to handle it. Merely thinking for your first attempt that`s all.

Fly tying skills will help no doubt, especially in using thread starting finishing etc. The fly however is held in a vice and can be moved, twisted, turned a bit. Fragile rod tip is held in the hands. If I can upload a photo, there`s the tip of a 4#, no thicker than a pencil lead.

No joy on the photo upload seems to be stuck in an album I just created, I hate computers.

Last edited:

Latest posts