New lough boat

DavidMcQ

Hi,

I have recently bought a new 19’ Sheelin lough boat. I have a few basic questions,

1) What is the best way to attach the lighting board?
2) What seating is best for comfort?

Thanks for your help.

splinters

My light board came with a hole on each side, so I just tie it to the quarter knees.
Seating is a personal thing.
Simon.

running bear

Hi,

I have recently bought a new 19’ Sheelin lough boat. I have a few basic questions,

1) What is the best way to attach the lighting board?
2) What seating is best for comfort?

Thanks for your help.
I use pp twine (4mm o reckon) on clips to attach the top of the lighting board to each corner on the stern cleats, amd then an adjustable bungee on the centre bottom of the board to the trailer to tension it. The board is stable, yet doesnt touch the boat.

I made my own seat from 3/4" marine ply, with multiple end stopppers, so it can be at the rear if in company, or accross the middle of on my own. A foldup plasric padded seat then positioned on the board where it suits you best. Offset to one side is best for moving, closer to the cemtre is betyer for drifting imho.

DavidMcQ

I use pp twine (4mm o reckon) on clips to attach the top of the lighting board to each corner on the stern cleats, amd then an adjustable bungee on the centre bottom of the board to the trailer to tension it. The board is stable, yet doesnt touch the boat.

I made my own seat from 3/4" marine ply, with multiple end stopppers, so it can be at the rear if in company, or accross the middle of on my own. A foldup plasric padded seat then positioned on the board where it suits you best. Offset to one side is best for moving, closer to the cemtre is betyer for drifting imho.
Thanks. Would it be possible for you to send me a couple of pictures? Cheers.

running bear

Pic of trailer board, boat is 100+ miles away at the mo.
Loop the twine loops around the cleats, clip the board onto the twone loops amd use the bungee in the centre to tension it all.

I'm sure you have one, but if not, get a seconardy coupling for the trailer. Despite being the law (in the UK, wasnt in the ROI last I checked) many people dont bother.

Many years ago metal fatigue on a ball hitch lead to me and a mate having a potentailly serious accident. The boat and trailer came off arond a corner and an oncoming car smashed into it, sending it over the hedge and writing the car off. No one was hurt, but could have been worse. You dont even need a propriety secondary coupling, a robust chain and shackle can do the job.

Attachments

• 20210728_140807 (2).jpg
    20210728_140807 (2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

DavidMcQ

Pic of trailer board, boat is 100+ miles away at the mo.
Loop the twine loops around the cleats, clip the board onto the twone loops amd use the bungee in the centre to tension it all.

I'm sure you have one, but if not, get a seconardy coupling for the trailer. Despite being the law (in the UK, wasnt in the ROI last I checked) many people dont bother.

Many years ago metal fatigue on a ball hitch lead to me and a mate having a potentailly serious accident. The boat and trailer came off arond a corner and an oncoming car smashed into it, sending it over the hedge and writing the car off. No one was hurt, but could have been worse. You dont even need a propriety secondary coupling, a robust chain and shackle can do the job.
Cheers. We used to put the chain over the tow bar but we now have a secondary fixing point incase the neck would break.

Cap'n Fishy

Thanks. Would it be possible for you to send me a couple of pictures? Cheers.

Not stepping on Running Bear's toes here, but thought some pics that I have would be useful as well... ;)

Most guys I know with their own boats rig up a couple of seats than can be moved about to suit who is fishing and where they want to sit.

Easiest way to hold it in place is with Velcro straps...

Brora-2019_9989.jpg

Some guys don't even bother with straps...

Achnacarry15_57301.jpg

Shinness-Jun18_7409.jpg

Depends on how good you are at not leaning to one side! 😜

Best to fit the seat to a swivel plate and fit the swivel plate to the board.. A swivel plate allows so much more movement...

Short-mount20Apr19_9905.jpg

Keeping it mobile also allows you to take it out and sit on it at lunch time...

9330.jpg

Some folk prefer the speed boat bucket seat type like the one in the top pic...

One point about this design - it is prone to losing plasticiser, sitting in the sun for several years, and eventually, the plastic at the hinges can give way, requiring a bit of running repair...

Glencorse05Aug18_1660.jpg

Others prefer the TLD type, like this...

Try to get ones with a single colour/single piece upholstery. The two-tone ones/multi-section ones tend to be stitched together, and rain can get in. The foam soaks it up and acts as a subsurface reservoir. Next time you sit in it, you squeeze it out and get a wet arse! 😜

I often like to sit with the seat lengthways inside the boat, so an additional plank might be useful...

Glencorse12May19_2596.jpg

That gives a lot of freedom of movement, not having a thwart in between your legs while fishing. ;)

Col

D

Deleted member 81051

Others prefer the TLD type, like this...

That's the ones I have Col, with the single colour. I had a pair of the others shown in your other images for about a fortnight. They were the most uncomfortable seats ever, as far as I and other boat partners were concerned, and the only thing going for them was they took up less room in the car.

D

Deleted member 81051

I changed out my metal swivels for these demountable ones. They're brilliant. The LH bit stays on the seat and the right hand bit attaches to your piece of wood or whatever you have. The two halves click into place and the seat is removed by pressing down on the protruding tongue. For me, this means that I can leave the bottom section strapped to the boat and take the seats home, if I need to.
1627487373708.png

gmm243

I have a Burke boat which is 19' long.I made up a board that would carry the light board and has two holes in it that fit over the pins in the middle of the boat.I thought it worked ok until a friend followed me home one night and said it was too low,he could only see it part of the time.
I then got a friend to make up two strengthening brackets that run down about a foot of the side of the boat and around the ransom.This was to strengthen the back of the boat while travelling with the engine on.These are perfect for putting magnetic lights to and have never fallen off.
I think that if you see a lot of men who trailer their boats regularly will see nearly a different design for carrying the lights on every boat.

Cap'n Fishy

I changed out my metal swivels for these demountable ones. They're brilliant. The LH bit stays on the seat and the right hand bit attaches to your piece of wood or whatever you have. The two halves click into place and the seat is removed by pressing down on the protruding tongue. For me, this means that I can leave the bottom section strapped to the boat and take the seats home, if I need to.
View attachment 41767

I like them - not seen those before. I don't have the option to leave the bottom section in the boat as I don't have my own boat and am carrying my seat from fishery to fishery - an advantage of the bucket seat being lighter and taking up less room. Even so, making the seat and bottom section detachable would be useful for transportation and storage.

Col