New member (Bristol)

Adam H

Hello!

My name is Adam and I'm 25, from Bristol.
I have booked a fly fishing introduction weekend for next Saturday with some of my family at Chew valley lake. Me, brother-in-law, Dad and Nephew. (All never tried fly fishing).

Wanted to introduce myself as a complete beginner to fly fishing. My only experience is sea fishing from a boat but fly fishing is something I've always been more interested in.

Hopefully we all enjoy the experience next weekend and I'll be looking to buy a starter rod to start learning with and then upgrade once I feel I need to so I can have a spare rod for members of my family to come visit and use.
I've seen this;
Is this something worth getting as a beginner rod? I've seen better reviews for the Shakespeare agility 2 but I was thinking of buying the above to begin with and keeping it as a spare eventually and buying a agility 2 with a nicer reel.

noel

Hi Adam , welcome to the forum Chew valley is ran by John Horsey if I remember correctly who is the most capped England international he will guide you to the correct eqpt to buy as a beginner . Enjoy your day and don't be scared of the size of the reservoir.

J.kerslake

Welcome, from another new member and complete beginner! I’ve had a lesson on a local lake and spent some time practicing casting in a field at home, also booked in at chew valley for June. The only advice I can give is, once you can cast and have the right bits of kit just go and have a play!

Mr Notherone

I'm sure all the kit you need for your introduction will be included in the day, so my advice would be buy nothing until you're convinced you want to take it up and get advice from the venue to suite your budget. If you stick with venues like Chew you'll be wanting different kit than if you want to fly fish small streams for example. Hopefully you'll have a great day and be hooked!

catzrob

Have a great day and let me know if you want a fishing companion. 32, Bristol based, prefer small streams.

arkle

Great to see more guy's from Brizzle 'ere & welcome along. There are several Bristol based members here, all of which/whom are only to willing to offer help & advice, as are most members. If you fancy a chat sometime, I'll p.m. you my nos.

Latest posts