New Net for 2015

ROVER

Trade Member
Hello All

I'd like to share a few photos of my latest indulgence, a new net I've made myself for the new season approaching. This one is the first I've done with a magnet integrated into the hoop of the net and a custom magnetic hanger to suit. The Handle is english walnut with wenge 'wings' and mother of pearl measuring dots, and the hoop is wenge, walnut and maple. The outer lamination of wenge is made from a piece that is cut in a different plane to that what you normally get, which results in this unusual mottled effect. I've strung the net with gold coloured thread to match the handmade brass tether on the end of the handle for a bit of bling! The piccys are just off my mobile and my photography skills are naff so they really dont do it justice - cant wait to christen this one.....

Graeme

ukriverfly

Fantastic Graeme! Looking forward to christening my net you made, I keep admiring it!

eddleston123

If I was a trout/grayling, I would let myself be caught deliberately, just to be landed in this piece of art.

If I owned one of these nets, I would always go fishing in two's to reduce the risk of being mugged for my net!

Douglas

polish nymph

Like we say in Poland - Prze-Chuj :D

Beautiful work! Congratulations!
and I agree with the above - if I was a grayling I would like to lay a minute in it :D

buzzerfan

A work of art! I'm regularly in awe of the talented people on this forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ROVER

Trade Member
now that is nice,great idea with the magnet:thumbs:,going to have a go this year myself,try the ghost rubber mesh brill stuff
Ive got a couple of ghost nets loose in the garage and I considered fitting one to this net since it would save me the time and effort of measuring up and stitching one from a sheet of hexmesh, but when I mocked it up to see if it would fit I remembered why I dont like them! Yes they look the part, and some say that they are better for fish (very subjective and still to be proven one way or another), and they are supposed to less prone to getting cought on foliage etc, but my biggest issue with them is that they hold thier shape no matter how you hang the net, so on a net like this where it is designed to hang on your back in the vertical, you end up with the rubber net holding its shape and standing off your back by about 10 or 12 inches, sort of looking like a ninja turtles shell, and contrary to the bit about snagging up, in my opinion they could be more prone to catching stuff because they stick out. I much prefer hexmesh that falls flat when the net is in the vertical position, plus is virtuall weightless.

In a nutshell, tried it, dont like it, and I dont tend to recommend it based on the reasons ive said, however, each to thier own.

Thanks for all the encouraging comments, I'm already thinkng what I could do next and I havent even wet this one yet!!!!

Graeme