new pin, impressed...very impressed

pentlandflyman

I was having a look through the angling direct site and came across their range of centrepins and couldn't believe what i seen, a centrepin for £35! not a cheap plasticy job either, nope a very good quality CNC machined anodized aluminium with stainless steel bearings and wooden handles...it even comes with a cloth bag and a nice box, i had to buy it just to see if it was any good.

Well it arrived and i was impressed with it, very impressed and still can't believe the price because if i had paid £100 i would still have been delighted with it. Super smooth and spins like a room after a few pints too many. I have gone over it and over it and haven't found anything, it is very well made. Obviously i haven't used it yet so can't say how it fishes but from what i have seen i don't have any concerns, it doesn't have a line guard and i don't think one is available but i have never used one so it doesn't bother me at all.

At £35 it is a steal so anyone wanting a cheap pin to play with you won't find better anywhere, it might help if i tell you what one it is as well! it is the Stillwater Severn and it is available from a few shops but angling direct seem to be far cheaper than everyone else, the reel with a spool of 4lb maxima chameleon and 4 x loafer floats, a packet of quick change float adapters for just over £45 and free delivery! happy is an understatement.

Paul_B

I don't know what reel it was but they had a cracking centrepin on display in our local angling direct shop (looks the same as the one in your link) I'm going to get one and convert a sigma fly rod into a trotting rod, its rubbish as a fly rod but shows potential for trotting.

corto maltese

At the risk of inviting the fury of the pure in heart, mind and practice, I hesitate to ask this question !
But as I'm an innocent and an ignorant with skin as thick as an elephants, I'll take my chance as fortune always favours the brave... And the stupid !
Way back when, I remember my gramps, who was a fly fisherman at heart, he got me into this god bless him, occasionally using his cane spinning rod. I've inherited that rod and I remember him using it with what looked like a fly reel.
Now my real dumbass question is, was it a fly reel or is there a type of reel that looks like a fly reel but is an old skool spinning reel ?
I'm asking because In the closed season I spin fish lures for bass to combat cabin fever and I would love to get out gramps old rod and do it proper. I know he used it on rivers for trout but if I'm on a river fishing for trout then spinning is not where I'm at at all, but off the coast for bass ?, Hell, why not, that rod was made to be used after all.
So, after an enormous ramble !, Sorry bout that !, Was it a fly reel or something else ?

As I'm in a rambling mood, I'm editing this to apologise for being off topic and maybe even high jacking this thread for my own means, sorry, but it's all done in the best possible taste ! Remember Kenny Everet !!!
It's only coz I was reading this and it got me thinking, you know how it is ... !

Last edited:

Mrtrout

Nice, looks like an Okuma Sheffield and only £31.50 at checkout.
I like a guard though.
And now their sites crashed!!!
S.

D

Deleted member 38815

Nice, looks like an Okuma Sheffield and only £31.50 at checkout.
I like a guard though.

S.

Its same reel a the o/Sheffield. I have both.

The still water version is still in its box, bought as a back up to Sheffield which is back up to my Atom.

Last edited by a moderator:

pentlandflyman

At the risk of inviting the fury of the pure in heart, mind and practice, I hesitate to ask this question !
But as I'm an innocent and an ignorant with skin as thick as an elephants, I'll take my chance as fortune always favours the brave... And the stupid !
Way back when, I remember my gramps, who was a fly fisherman at heart, he got me into this god bless him, occasionally using his cane spinning rod. I've inherited that rod and I remember him using it with what looked like a fly reel.
Now my real dumbass question is, was it a fly reel or is there a type of reel that looks like a fly reel but is an old skool spinning reel ?
I'm asking because In the closed season I spin fish lures for bass to combat cabin fever and I would love to get out gramps old rod and do it proper. I know he used it on rivers for trout but if I'm on a river fishing for trout then spinning is not where I'm at at all, but off the coast for bass ?, Hell, why not, that rod was made to be used after all.
So, after an enormous ramble !, Sorry bout that !, Was it a fly reel or something else ?

As I'm in a rambling mood, I'm editing this to apologise for being off topic and maybe even high jacking this thread for my own means, sorry, but it's all done in the best possible taste ! Remember Kenny Everet !!!
It's only coz I was reading this and it got me thinking, you know how it is ... !

I've seen a reel that turns sideways to cast that looked like a fly reel but thats going back years, you couldn't cast a centrepin or fly reel like a spinning reel...well if your spinner was heavy enough you maybe could get it out but i wouldn't fancy fishing that way, the only other reel that it could maybe be is an old closed faced type ?

- - - Updated - - -

something like this ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2235823525...MIjvaXo_WN5gIVx7TtCh0SmgbiEAQYAiABEgLxfvD_BwE

or this ?

Johnson Citation Vintage Fishing Reel #Johnson | Vintage fishing, Vintage fishing reels, Fishing reels

Last edited:

sofasurfer

It is possible to use a centrepin reel for spinning. A Wallis cast will get a Spinner a fair distance. Before fixed spool reels that's how it was done! Google it.

D

Deleted member 38815

Are you talking about the J W Youngs Ray Walton rolling pin reel.

Ray used for trundling meat for barbel.

s-l500.jpg

lee71

I've seen a reel that turns sideways to cast that looked like a fly reel but thats going back years, you couldn't cast a centrepin or fly reel like a spinning reel...well if your spinner was heavy enough you maybe could get it out but i wouldn't fancy fishing that way, the only other reel that it could maybe be is an old closed faced type ?

- - - Updated - - -

something like this ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2235823525...MIjvaXo_WN5gIVx7TtCh0SmgbiEAQYAiABEgLxfvD_BwE

or this ?

Johnson Citation Vintage Fishing Reel #Johnson | Vintage fishing, Vintage fishing reels, Fishing reels

Shakey do one, Shakespeare Lincoln Centrepin Reel

Paul_B

I remember them giving a side turn centrepin to my dad for him to try but he could cast further by giving his aerial centrepin a tap as he was casting, that must be 60+ years ago :rolleyes:

pentlandflyman

I remember them giving a side turn centrepin to my dad for him to try but he could cast further by giving his aerial centrepin a tap as he was casting, that must be 60+ years ago :rolleyes:

With practice and patience you can master a pin and use it for all sorts of fishing styles/methods and get decent distances...i have zero patience and can just about use it properly for trotting using the Nottingham cast.

Mrtrout

My reel just arrived from Angling Direct, go to say it’s a classy bit of kit for little money. £31.50 free delivery, spins freely, no wobble, looking forward to giving it a go.
S.