New Rod

h49

Thinking of buying a Sportfish Purecast Rod, maybe a 9' 6" 7 weight.

Has anyone any experience /knowledge of this make please? Your opinions would be helpful. I'm more or less a novice at fly fishing, looking for a light rod and this seems ok at only 3.5 oz

Considering also, Orvis Clearwater, not sure which would be the best buy.

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
I have a clearwater I bought when I returned to fishing. Its a 8'6 4wt and its a nice rod apart from the handle which is pretty poor grade cork on mine for the price. Nice sweet action, Orvis is also great for guarantees etc. Would I go for it again? No. I have fished it about 3 times and now its relegated to the position of "general purpose spare", I should sell it really. Only reason I don't fish it is that I bought some very nice Hardy rods when they were selling them off.

Why wouldn't I go for it again? After an almost 20 year gap from the sport it felt and cast really amazingly well however I should have compared it to more rods at the time, these days you can get rods just as nice to cast for significantly less.

My fishing is mainly rivers so that may affect the competition at the price point so keep that in mind.

Steve

Streamfisher

Thinking of buying a Sportfish Purecast Rod, maybe a 9' 6" 7 weight.

Has anyone any experience /knowledge of this make please? Your opinions would be helpful. I'm more or less a novice at fly fishing, looking for a light rod and this seems ok at only 3.5 oz

Considering also, Orvis Clearwater, not sure which would be the best buy.
I had one, broke the tip and waited months for a replacement which never arrived. To be fair to Sportfish they ended up giving me a fair deal on another item by way of compensation but I wouldn't buy another. I'd pick the Orvis any day of the week.

SF

Latest posts