New small stream Rod

Green29

I am looking for a new small stream 7ft / 7ft 6inch #3, approx £200. I have been looking at the Vision Onki or Greys GR80. All opinions and alternatives welcome.

Thanks
Paul

delray

Wychwood River and Stream; an old model and I don't use mine much, but when I do it's very enjoyable; I'm not good at describing actions but I would say moderate through the rod. (probably fast.......)
I stupidly sold my 8ft 4wt this year and regret it; the 7 1/2 ft 3 wt will stay. Still available through some dealers, around £100.

Overmiwadrers

For a 7ft 3wt there is lots to be said for older carbon. I have a hardy Featherweight 7ft 3wt that knocking on now and an Orvis Superfine Carbon 6ft 6 inch 3wt they are both in my view perfect for the small streams. many older hardy rods on fleabay in those sizes I think older carbon and dare I say it cane are very nice for the job..

O M W

Green29

I have a Snowbee Prestige 9'6" 3# older style, I like the action of that. I do not have the experience to describe the action. it works for me though.

devondabbler

I agree with PaulD regarding the 6'0" Superfine - I sold mine as I just didn't like the action. I've had two 7'6" Superfine's and they were much nicer to cast.
I have an Echo River Glass 6'9" in a 3# which I really enjoy using, so would recommend this rod if you don't mind using 'glass'
The best 376 rod I've ever tried is the Sage Dart but like all Sage rods they command a very high premium and are like hens teeth second hand.

Paul

Green29

I have never used "glass" so don't really know. I intend to use the rod for dry fly and upstream nymphing. Silly question but is glass more susceptible to damage from beads if hit whilst casting. I still manage this occasionally. :poop:

PaulD

The best small carbon rod I have is a 6' 9", 5 piece (Yes FIVE!), 3wt, Winston LT. It's a touch 'quicker' than the historically usual Winston but as a small stream rod, I love it. I've also got a 7ft, 4wt, 2 piece Sage XP and I'm not very fond of that either . . . and I'm a big fan of the longer Sage XPs.

"I have an Orvis Superfine - 6ft, 3wt - pretty dreadful rod. Has an action that reminds me of cooked spaghetti" . . . When I posted this I wasn't at home (babysitting duties for my youngest Granddaughter) and I've just been to check on the rod tube - apologies - it's a Superfine Full-Flex 5.5, 6' 6", 2wt - but still an utter 'noodle'. In mad moments I use it to fish for little, roach, chub and dace in a sidestream of the Gt Ouse.

devondabbler

I have never used "glass" so don't really know. I intend to use the rod for dry fly and upstream nymphing. Silly question but is glass more susceptible to damage from beads if hit whilst casting. I still manage this occasionally. :poop:
Glass tends to be tougher than graphite. The Echo is great for dry fly but is very much a through action rod. Nice even with 6"wbt - bends through to the handle. Might not be the best rod for nymphing though imo.

Paul

mebu

Like Paul above, I have the Echo glass 6ft 9 ins 3wt, lovely rod for small streams. No it is not fragile as glass, the modern fibreglass is probably tougher than carbon when hit by a bead.
Can recommend it.

Peter

Carlos

I have 6' Carbon and Glass #2's. Completely different in every aspect. The Glass is the very very first Superfine and it's a noodle that will flick a fly with no effort, but it is an odd thing. The carbon is a sweet thing and I absolutely love it.

I am monitoring ebay etc for more Superfine Carbon's.