New tippet

Cap'n Fishy

Sorry, but it's not a ___polymer. Only <insert prefix of choice>polymers are being included in the range. I think the range is sufficiently extensive to offer a ___polymer to everyone who can't get enough ___polymers.

It does include mispolymer. Are you interested in buying a spool? Only £35 for 25 m. Cheap at half the price. :thumbs:

JohnH

Miss Polly Mer. Sounds like a (ahem) lady of negotiable affection plying her trade around Portsmouth dockyard....

Cap'n Fishy

Miss Polly Mer. Sounds like a (ahem) lady of negotiable affection plying her trade around Portsmouth dockyard....
And at a price not incommensurate with that of a 100 m spool of "Technical leader material"...

kingf000

I've been trying to find out what copolymer actually is with regard to fishing lines - failed! Yes, it is nylon but which kind? There are significant differences between different nylons. You have the basic nylon6 and nylon66, the two most common forms, but then you have nylon copolymer such as nylon 6/66 or even 6/66/12! All down to what monomer or mixture of monomers is used. But what is used for fishing line? All dead cheap to extrude but big differences between what happens afterwards. Stroft is nylon but is coated with PTFE, which presumably gives it better abrasion resistance and reduces water absorption. It is then treated to remove impurities and to add improvers, then pulled to align the polymer molecules, annealed to remove stress and finally treated with some form of silicone to enhance the surface. Reflo powerline is 'resin impregnated', whatever that means. Then you have the possibility of binary polymer mixtures, two polymers, eg. nylon plus fluorocarbon, extruded together. Berkley have a patent on a binary mixture of nylons that it claims offers an advantage but I don't know if it ever got to the market. A mixture of nylon 6 and nylon 66 claims to be stronger than either alone. So it isn't just nylon!

teeser

I'm bringing out my own range of leader materials. It's quite an extensive range...

antepolymer
antipolymer
circumpolymer
copolymer
depolymer
dispolymer
empolymer
enpolymer
epipolymer
expolymer
extrapolymer
forepolymer
homopolymer
hyperpolymer
ilpolymer
impolymer
inpolymer
irpolymer
impolymer
infrapolymer
interpolymer
intrapolymer
macropolymer
micropolymer
midpolymer
mispolymer
monopolymer
multipolymer
nonpolymer
omnipolymer
parapolymer
postpolymer
prepolymer
repolymer
semipolymer
subpolymer
superpolymer
thermpolymer
transpolymer
tripolymer
unpolymer
unipolymer

Don't let on to anyone - they're all just nylon...

sorry capn you got impolymer twice there oh and can we have rolypolymer for for the chubbies please

champyron

Anticipointment polymer ...........covers everything that is not standard nylon.

Jeltz

I've been trying to find out what copolymer actually is with regard to fishing lines - failed! Yes, it is nylon but which kind? There are significant differences between different nylons. You have the basic nylon6 and nylon66, the two most common forms, but then you have nylon copolymer such as nylon 6/66 or even 6/66/12! All down to what monomer or mixture of monomers is used. But what is used for fishing line? All dead cheap to extrude but big differences between what happens afterwards. Stroft is nylon but is coated with PTFE, which presumably gives it better abrasion resistance and reduces water absorption. It is then treated to remove impurities and to add improvers, then pulled to align the polymer molecules, annealed to remove stress and finally treated with some form of silicone to enhance the surface. Reflo powerline is 'resin impregnated', whatever that means. Then you have the possibility of binary polymer mixtures, two polymers, eg. nylon plus fluorocarbon, extruded together. Berkley have a patent on a binary mixture of nylons that it claims offers an advantage but I don't know if it ever got to the market. A mixture of nylon 6 and nylon 66 claims to be stronger than either alone. So it isn't just nylon!
AFAIK 666 is the number of the beast, that tippet must only be used by satan worshippers. 😛

Cap'n Fishy

It is nylon though. So in the absence of any information identifying exactly what sort of nylon any one particular one is and what makes that one different from any other one, all we are able to do is call it nylon. The word copolymer is an adjective and the word nylon is a noun.. It is copolymer nylon. We call things by noun words, not adjective words, so what we are using is all nylon.

For me, there are 5 'things' I divide all leader materials into...

1) Standard nylon
2) Low diameter/pre-stretched/double-strength/high performance/whatever type nylon
3) Standard fluorocarbon
4) Low diameter/pre-stretched/double-strength/high performance/whatever type fluorocarbon
5) Other - hybrid nylon-fluoro/fluoro-coated nylon, etc.

Those categories tell me what I need to know about their composition and their properties. The word copolymer tells me hee-haw, so I never use it.

Col

caeran

If you can put “a” or “an” in front of a word
It means that that word is a noun.
A quick google shows many references
to the question “what is a polymer “
A polymer is ............
A copolymer is .............

And there you go
Last thing I thought I would be doing tonight
Contributing a fact to a fishing line discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tangled

Oh, I glad someone else said that...

Sadly, copolymer is a noun. If you say copolymer nylon, it's a double noun - like Ford Cortina. I think ;-)

Cap'n Fishy

If you can put “a” or “an” in front of a word
It means that that word is a noun.
A quick google shows many references
to the question “what is a polymer “
A polymer is ............
A copolymer is .............

And there you go
Last thing I thought I would be doing tonight
Contributing a fact to a fishing line discussion

Yeh - it's a bit tenuous, though. 'A copolymer is...'

It's a noun in that respect, yes. However, what has it told you about the thing in your hand? Nothing! Clingfilm is 'a copolymer'. Nitrile rubber is 'a copolymer' Thousands of things we don't use as leader material are copolymer... in construction. What we need to know about our leader material is not whether it is copolymer in construction (which they all might be), but whether it is nylon or fluorocarbon... plus what jiggery-pokery has been done to its diameter.

If the nylon is copolymer in construction, then it is 'copolymer nylon'. Copolymer has become an adjective, while nylon remains a noun. And it is the noun nylon that tells us what we need to know. The adjective (in this instance) copolymer tells us absolutely f*ck-all about what we need to know about the material. That is the essence of it. What is the word - whether adjective or noun - 'copolymer' telling the angler that is of use to him? Nothing!

Col

caeran

Precisely . - nothing
so why bang on about it ad nauseum ( Latin) every day.

I know people who can calculate the square root of a jar of pickles
But I have to get the lid off for them!

Cap'n Fishy

Precisely . - nothing
so why bang on about it
All I ever do is reply to other people's posts on the matter and point out to those who claim that their beloved 'copolymer', what they keep on a pedestal, as a class of leader material, distinct from both nylon and fluorocarbon... is not! It is a bollox marketing term for nylon that they have bought into.

caeran

I stand corrected
I always thought that Nylon was a trade name
A bit like describing all vacuum cleaners as “Hoovers”
Do you remember Bri Nylon
( British Nylon ) and they made everything out of it
shirts, underpants and bedding
Remember a chain ( see what I did there lol) of shops called Brentford Nylon

So even “ nylon” is a non term

Latest posts