A bit like describing all vacuum cleaners as “Hoovers”
Do you remember Bri Nylon
( British Nylon ) and they made everything out of it
shirts, underpants and bedding
Remember a chain ( see what I did there lol) of shops called Brentford Nylon

So even “ nylon” is a non term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wiki on nylon...

Dunno if 'polyamide' is a better term for what we use as an alternative to fluorocarbon? Whatever, any term for it is better than 'copolymer'!

Cap'n Fishy

Just go fishing and don't worry about different nylons unless they're on a ladies legs.
Until the next time a confused beginner asks a question, having been bamboozled by all that is on offer to him...

That's a quick answer but, be honest, it's a shite answer.

Col

kingf000

It is nylon though. So in the absence of any information identifying exactly what sort of nylon any one particular one is and what makes that one different from any other one, all we are able to do is call it nylon. The word copolymer is an adjective and the word nylon is a noun.. It is copolymer nylon. We call things by noun words, not adjective words, so what we are using is all nylon.

For me, there are 5 'things' I divide all leader materials into...

1) Standard nylon
2) Low diameter/pre-stretched/double-strength/high performance/whatever type nylon
3) Standard fluorocarbon
4) Low diameter/pre-stretched/double-strength/high performance/whatever type fluorocarbon
5) Other - hybrid nylon-fluoro/fluoro-coated nylon, etc.

Those categories tell me what I need to know about their composition and their properties. The word copolymer tells me hee-haw, so I never use it.

Col
Sorry but a copolymer is a noun. https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/copolymer; https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/copolymer; copolymeric is the adjective, so it should be called copolymeric nylon.

Cap'n Fishy

Sorry but a copolymer is a noun. https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/copolymer; https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/copolymer; copolymeric is the adjective, so it should be called copolymeric nylon.
Fair enough - no argument from me there... though maybe it is an abstract noun, as it is essentially a term applied to thousands of highly variable materials, and so in itself is not something that you can hang your hat on?

It's probably more correct to say that the word copolymer is being pressed into service as an adjective when 'copolymer nylon' is referred to. But I'm not the person printing 'copolymer nylon' on the spools. I suggest you contact the tackle marketing men and tell them they should rebrand it 'copolymeric nylon'. 😜

Col

Cap'n Fishy

I wonder which the fish prefer....can they actually tell the difference? I thought it was the pointy bit on the end that attracted them.
It's the pointy bit on the end that attracts them, but it's the bit that is attached to it that puts them off... or lets you down. ;)

taffy1

It's the pointy bit on the end that attracts them, but it's the bit that is attached to it that puts them off... or lets you down. ;)
That would depend on the meticulous attention you apply to your choice of material & more obviously, how you present it. Which can be done with whatever you choose.

Cap'n Fishy

That would depend on the meticulous attention you apply to your choice of material & more obviously, how you present it. Which can be done with whatever you choose.
And choice is important... though many seem to think it is not!

Cap'n Fishy

Seems we are both from the same school of logic. Each material, whatever the choice defines the situation & the method of choice.
Is it not more a case of the situation you are in decides the material you choose? Or is that what you are saying?

JCP

How about this one then.Just says.Bayer Perlon World's Finest Fishing Line. Made In Germany. Caught more than a few sea trout with it in the 70's. (y) 😂 Im guessing it is nylon monofilament like all the rest.

JP

Cap'n Fishy

Maybe therein lies a lot of the arguing? A lot of people only do one type of fishing - eg river dry fly. So, they only have one situation dictating one choice, and they choose their same favourite material every time. However, others are jack-of-all trade fishers who do everything from Czech nymphing, to salt-water fly fishing, salmon fishing, loch-style, reservoir tactics with washing lines and hogs, swinging buzzers... the whole spectrum of fly fishing. And the best choice of leader material differs from one situation to another.

But the first group don't seem to get what the second group are saying? Maybe? :unsure:

Col

caeran

I “ get “ it as a confused “ beginner”
And twigged after a couple of visits to the tackle shop and reading posts on forums
I have filed the knowledge until I need it.

As an all round tippet material suitable for wet and dry fishing on the same river , at the same location, during the same session , what would you recommend so that I don’t have to keep swapping the tippet every time I switch from dry to wet.
( serious question from someone genuinely interested beyond willy waving misnomers about monomers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts