New tippet

tangled

I “ get “ it as a confused “ beginner”
And twigged after a couple of visits to the tackle shop and reading posts on forums
I have filed the knowledge until I need it.

As an all round tippet material suitable for wet and dry fishing on the same river , at the same location, during the same session , what would you recommend so that I don’t have to keep swapping the tippet every time I switch from dry to wet.
( serious question from someone genuinely interested beyond willy waving misnomers about monomers)
it's all in the 'understanding mono', thread. If you read that end to end you'll know more than almost anyone else and be able to work it out for yourself based on your particular circumstances. Anyway he's the general recommendation bit

”Nylon Probably the commonest and most recommended brand of nylon by people here is Maxima Ultragreen. It's low cost, reliable and has been around forever.

Also if you're looking for the bog standard, all-things-to-all-men, everyday, use-nothing-else mono for fly fishing for both trout and salmon this seems to be The One.

Drennan Subsurface is a very similar and also much loved product.

For dry-fly, flat calm work, where the fish may be leader-shy and low-diameter nylons may work best, people seem to use either Reflo Power or Stroft GTM.

Fluorocarbon Fulling Mill and Berkley Trilene seems to be a good, low cost, standard Fluorocarbons with Airflo Sightfree G3 being the low diameter preference. Seaguar, while expensive, seems to be the choice of salmon anglers.

Bulk Buying
Our mono is manufactured by the kilometre and sold to the brands by the kilogram for embarrassingly little. Cost-conscious anglers can offset the brand inflation effect by buying bulk from Alibaba. A kilo of bog standard nylon PA6 can be had there for $3 and would last this forum of anglers a lifetime! But buyer beware, until you use it, there's no telling how good it is.

Perhaps a more sensible approach is to buy larger quantities of well known and tried and tested brands - 100m or 200m spools of Maxima, 300m spools of D.A.M Tectan for nylon; 200m of Airflo G3 or 250yds of Seaguar Red Label for fluorocarbon.”

JohnH

How about this one then.Just says.Bayer Perlon World's Finest Fishing Line. Made In Germany. Caught more than a few sea trout with it in the 70's. (y) 😂 Im guessing it is nylon monofilament like all the rest.

JP
I was told by a well regarded coarse fishing tackle dealer that Drennan Floatfish is the same line, only with a different label on the spools. There's a 3 way commercial alliance between Drennan, Bayer and Kamasan.

Reactions: JCP

caeran

Thanks tangled for taking the time and trouble to post the information - very useful and much appreciated.
Whilst I am not a “ tackle tart” I try to get the most effective tackle I can. I don’t subscribe to the most expensive is the best.
I am also sceptical enough and agree with John H in the post above about the stuff being produced by the tonne and the same product being produced in the same factory & marketted and sold under different labels.

I will take your advice tangled when restocking as soon as I can get mobile and onto the river bank.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ed_t

I stand corrected
I always thought that Nylon was a trade name
A bit like describing all vacuum cleaners as “Hoovers”
Do you remember Bri Nylon
( British Nylon ) and they made everything out of it
shirts, underpants and bedding
Remember a chain ( see what I did there lol) of shops called Brentford Nylon

So even “ nylon” is a non term

Nylon was a trade name Perlon was
How about this one then.Just says.Bayer Perlon World's Finest Fishing Line. Made In Germany. Caught more than a few sea trout with it in the 70's. (y) 😂 Im guessing it is nylon monofilament like all the rest.

JP
Bayer was formed from the break up of AG Farben after some nastiness in the middle of last century (don't mention the war...) and Perlon was their brand name for Nylon to avoid DuPont ptent and brand infringement.

ed_t

I was told by a well regarded coarse fishing tackle dealer that Drennan Floatfish is the same line, only with a different label on the spools. There's a 3 way commercial alliance between Drennan, Bayer and Kamasan.
I'm doing some work on a Bayer let site in Germany and Perlon Monofil has a production unit there. Busy old place with hundreds of companies and production facilities:

Capture.JPG

Compare that to a UK integrated chemical facility with 70% plus derelict plots:
Capture.JPG

And the top left corner is the Redcar steel mill that is now dead.

Ahh well, cheaper to buy it from china.

glueman

it's all in the 'understanding mono', thread. If you read that end to end you'll know more than almost anyone else and be able to work it out for yourself based on your particular circumstances. Anyway he's the general recommendation bit

”Nylon Probably the commonest and most recommended brand of nylon by people here is Maxima Ultragreen. It's low cost, reliable and has been around forever.

Also if you're looking for the bog standard, all-things-to-all-men, everyday, use-nothing-else mono for fly fishing for both trout and salmon this seems to be The One.

Drennan Subsurface is a very similar and also much loved product.

For dry-fly, flat calm work, where the fish may be leader-shy and low-diameter nylons may work best, people seem to use either Reflo Power or Stroft GTM.

Fluorocarbon Fulling Mill and Berkley Trilene seems to be a good, low cost, standard Fluorocarbons with Airflo Sightfree G3 being the low diameter preference. Seaguar, while expensive, seems to be the choice of salmon anglers.

Bulk Buying
Our mono is manufactured by the kilometre and sold to the brands by the kilogram for embarrassingly little. Cost-conscious anglers can offset the brand inflation effect by buying bulk from Alibaba. A kilo of bog standard nylon PA6 can be had there for $3 and would last this forum of anglers a lifetime! But buyer beware, until you use it, there's no telling how good it is.

Perhaps a more sensible approach is to buy larger quantities of well known and tried and tested brands - 100m or 200m spools of Maxima, 300m spools of D.A.M Tectan for nylon; 200m of Airflo G3 or 250yds of Seaguar Red Label for fluorocarbon.”

Buy anything that does not have the words Fly Fishing attached as cheaper

lee71

I “ get “ it as a confused “ beginner”
And twigged after a couple of visits to the tackle shop and reading posts on forums
I have filed the knowledge until I need it.

As an all round tippet material suitable for wet and dry fishing on the same river , at the same location, during the same session , what would you recommend so that I don’t have to keep swapping the tippet every time I switch from dry to wet.
( serious question from someone genuinely interested beyond willy waving misnomers about monomers)

I'd stick with standard nylon for both wet and dry without changing, but if you were to change I would suggest something like Preston Reflo for dries, others may have different ideas.