new to fly fishing

Fozzer

Hi I am a coarse angler but would like to learn how to fly fish I have fished on rivers for grayling trotting for them in the winter it is my favourite angling, I just don't know how to get started what gear I would need, do I get an instructor or just to watch videos and do some reading. I would like to fly fish for trout and grayling but there is so much its a bit complicated for a novice, what rod length weight, what fly line, then there is the leader the flies themselves, how does one learn all this then there is the casting itself which will take some time any help much appreciated thanks in advance.

T

Toter Fisch

I was a beginner last year at least where rivers are concerned (I had previously fly fished still waters but had a break of about 10 years) so I know some of what you are going through.

My advice would be to keep it as simple as possible (but I am a minimalist). 4 weight rod (9 - 10 foot) and floating line, 5X leader same length as the rod and a few spider patterns is where I am at after a season of experimentation. Works pretty well for me.

If you search 'getting started in fly fishing' on youtube, the videos from mad river outfitters would get you up to speed in no time. They also have a few good videos on casting.

Hope this helps

GEK79

Hi I am a coarse angler but would like to learn how to fly fish I have fished on rivers for grayling trotting for them in the winter it is my favourite angling, I just don't know how to get started what gear I would need, do I get an instructor or just to watch videos and do some reading. I would like to fly fish for trout and grayling but there is so much its a bit complicated for a novice, what rod length weight, what fly line, then there is the leader the flies themselves, how does one learn all this then there is the casting itself which will take some time any help much appreciated thanks in advance.
Welcome... So you have some fishing experience that's a start. If your planning on fishing rivers then the advice given would be a good start.. 9 or 10ft rod 4wt..same wt line.. If your fishing and see other anglers most will help if you ask.. Some may not.. Practice is key casting lessons will help.. Don't watch too many YouTube videos.. They can bamboozle you with info you don't quite need yet.. Get a second hand reel and rod to start as not long if the season left..
If fishing stillwaters a 9ft 5wt should suffice again second hand route good option..
Barbless flies do some good flies and a hatch chart which will somewhat help in choosing flies until you know what to use..
All of us started as begginers I'm happy to still call myself a begginer.. And ask away most people on here will help..
Where are you planning to fish as they guys here may point you in the right direction...
Stay safe and keep posting.. And start with the basics.. 👍👍

dloboeht

I'm a recent convert from coarse fishing. Like you, I think there is no better coarse fishing to be had than trotting a float for some winter Grayling.

There will likely be someone along shortly to offer some expert advice but my tuppence worth is to think about the river you are primarily going to be fishing and go from there. For me, I'm on some small tributaries of the Welsh Dee for the most part and wanted to focus mainly on dry fly to start with so this focussed my approach and helped to narrow down tackle selections (ended up with a 7' #4 rod but this might not be ideal for some of the larger rivers and certain techniques). I totally get that there can be a lot of confusion when coming from a coarse background but try not to get too bogged down in tackle and techniques just get enough simple tackle to get started and a few flies and get some repetitive practice in.

BobP

fozzer,

A couple of hours with a decent instructor will pay for itself many times over. You are a coarse angler and you have a major hurdle to overcome and that is casting. When coarse fishing the back cast is used to line up where you want the end tackle to go. The forward cast propels it there.

In fly fishing the back cast is every bit as important as the forward cast. Put it basically, it ain't going forward unless it's been backwards first. That is a mental hurdle you will need to jump. I've taught a good few coarse anglers and that has always been a major issue. Without exception they have all struggled with the concept that the line has to be projected backwards. It's a muscle memory thing.

Get that sorted first and then the rest will start to fall into place.

GEK79

I will mainly be fishing the dee, where is the best place for second hand gear
I'm in Ireland so no real help I'm afraid.. Have a look through the ads here maybe local adverts or something even fleabay..

original cormorant

Join a club, that will give you access to knowledge about how and where to fish and will probably give you the best acccess to quality second hand gear at minimal prices.

Whinging pom

The river seasons getting hard now , Bob above nailed it for me it’s a muscle thing . Try and find someone to get you through the set up of casting, what ever rod you settle on look on eBay for a really cheap line to match it and practice with. One you won’t mind ruining . You’ll need some leader on the end and some wool or yarn to Imamate a fly and then just take every opportunity over this winter to practice the casting. Don’t worry about water in fact the distraction of fish doesn’t help, the lawn or the beach is great just put down a target and cast and just focus on the mechanics.

The more you do it the more natural it will become , and hopefully by the season opening next year you will be able to concentrate on reading the water and presentation, stalking, and dealing with drift etc. Enjoy the process and use the forum for asking advise . Theres a lot of knowledge here.

JCP

Have never really thought of it this way having ''Mr Crabtree'' for a grandfather.Starting fly fishing from scratch ploughing your own furrow is a formidable task.The right kind of help/mentor will take years off the learning curve.If you have good watercraft from coarse fishing this will stand you in good stead.Nothing quite like someone hands on to help begin the journey.Yes there are plenty of YouTube shows and written word out there by some top people but nothing quite like being shown the ropes by a good teacher or a friend who fly fishes.I am afraid this is the shortest route along with your own willingness to progress.Good luck on your quest.Hope you get to enjoy it as much as I have and still do...

Latest posts