New Vest required

york1e

Several years ago I stopped wearing a vest because I packed so much into it, I turned in to Mr Blooby.

I have bought a new wading net as my old folding net has seen better days and the belt clip has come off so a new vest is required to hang my wading net off and hopefully use.

Any recommendations Lads

olive_dabbler

+1 for the Simms guide - best I've ever had in terms of weight distribution and support across the shoulders - well worth actually trying one if back problems ever an issue.

Mrtrout

Yes, Simms for me as well, tried a few but always go back to it. Airflo vestpack is a well designed well made bit of kit, but I end up carrying too much in it and it gets heavy.
S.

haggstock

And another for the Simms Guide:thumbs: I concur with the comments about how it spreads the load . You carry the weight with your shoulders not your back , and the padded collar is great .

BobP

I have an almost new and very lightly used Simms Guide vest in XXL. I don't use this one as my guiding work for the last 5 seasons has given me a Simms with my name on it. Therefore I am open to all sensible offers. Note I said sensible. Please don't think you will get a Simms vest for pennies and nor do I expect silly money. A chance to get a good quality vest for a modest price.

lipslicker

Not tried the Simms, but have to say there really is not much I would change about my lightweight Patagonia one.
I bought it because it attaches seemlessly to my Patagonia Roll Top, to form a one piece, and it really is excellent. As many pockets as you could possibly need, lightweight, mesh which is great for summer months, and very well designed.
Very good value as well, compared with most.

boisker

Not a vest, but following on from Iain’s point about backs...
I struggle a bit if out all day with bad back/right shoulder and have been using a fully submersible waist pack..
I have the Simms one, but fishpond do a submersible one as well.. thunderhead.
I’ve really got used to the Simms pack, the wide belt acts as a good lumber support and there is a slot for the net down the back... I can carry 3 fly boxes, small flask, bottle,of water and sandwich etc.... there’s a noticeable improvement fishing with no weight on your shoulder, you just don’t notice the weight on the hips, although it did take a few sessions to get used to...

I often wade deep through pools and it’s a real bonus everything staying completely dry...

Last edited:

Teacuis

The new Orvis pro vest for me, got mine with a money off voucher so not too bad.
The more I wear it the more I realise how well its designed and its very comfortable to wear.
The thing I like the most is nothing sticks out anywhere to catch an errant fly line or leader.
Paul.

york1e

Now considering a sling pack in place of a vest as I dont want to look like mr blobby.

anzac

My advice is to try a few on at the shop, see if the pockets are the size you need (operative word is need), and get the one you like best. Then, practice the simple rule of moderation. The meaning there put what you - again the operative word -need, and leave the rest in the boot of the car.

You'll only look like 'Mr. Blooby' if you over stuff the vest with a long list of 'I might want...' that you know you won't want or need - as we all tend to do (self included).

black and silver

Banned
Banned
Now considering a sling pack in place of a vest as I dont want to look like mr blobby.
You don't have to fill all the pockets, all i carry in mine is 2 fly boxes (could just carry one if i wanted) 3 spools of nylon, sinkant, floatant and permits.
I can't even think of anything else that i would need or want to carry, clippers and forceps are attached to those dangly bits whatever they are called, jobs a gooden.

Travel light, you'll enjoy your day's fishing a whole lot more.

Cam

I am a sling pack user.

My advice would be to get the smallest you can get away with to prevent you filling it with stuff that you "might use". I moved away from the vest because i just kept filling the pockets with stuff. If you only fish for a few hours then you wont need much stuff anyway.

I have an older Orvis sling pack that is quite compact and a Simms which is slighly newer and a little bigger. I probably use the Simms sling pack most. I carry two 6" flyboxes & one 4.5", leaders, tippet, a priest(wooden not real), a small kick sampling net, floatant/sinkant and a bass bag. I can also squeeze in a water bottle and some sandwiches/chocolate. On the outside of the pack I have a couple of zingers, pair of forceps and a wooden hand net hung from a magnetic clip.

I have alternative flyboxes that I will swap depending on whether I am fishing still or river

Cam

Waltyluft

Yes, Simms for me as well, tried a few but always go back to it. ........S.
And me. Tried everything going, Airflo vestpack, Orvis sling, Fishpond double haul, Simms chest pack, Wychwood gear trap (new - rather good so far), Vision chest pack, WJ Surge waistpack, Fishpond mesh vest, Greys GTX vest, etc, etc.

The several years old Simms Guide vest (bought brand new £58 posted from US !!!!!) keeps coming out of the cupboard.......

Not sure why but everything just seems to be in the right place...... oh, and as others have said - it's comfortable.

Latest posts