New world record Brown ? 46.9lb

micka

Bit like those big Hanningfield Reservoir rainbows that were caught under the cages on boobies on fast sinking lines before it was banned - though they never grew to that size or were that ugly.

Mick

Cap'n Fishy

They do get some 'cage fish', as they are called, lying under the smolt farm cages on the lochs in the north west of Scotland. Browns, escapee rainbows (from their own cages) and char all take advantage. I think they stopped accepting new char records because of the size they were growing to. All recognisable by the same football-shaped body with a head on one end and a tail on the other. Shows that fish all have the same kind of obesity drive that the likes of labradors and those folk on the documentaries on TV called things like "Stop me eating before I die..." have.

Makes you wonder why we have so much trouble persuading them to take our offerings! 🤪

Cap'n Fishy

Pellet pig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't a pellet pig a fish that has been artificially reared in a fish farm, and then released for folk to catch it? It's not quite the same as a wild fish that has gorged itself on a constantly dependable food supply, though, physically, the outcome is much the same. But in principle, you could claim that a wild fish is a wild fish...

Cap'n Fishy

Nope.
A total minger !

Would be interesting to see if you could land it on typical brownie tackle, though, eh? I hooked a rainbow on Menteith on a dry mayfly this year. While I was bringing it in, it was grabbed by a large pike. The pike wasn't for letting its dinner go. I was on a Kamasan B400, a 6-weight outfit and 7 lb double-strength (with the inherent risks associated with double-strength types... but we'll say no more about that... 😗). We had a tug-of-war for about 15 minutes, and it was clear I was never going to be able to get the pike up on a 6-weight. In the end, it let go the rainbow (probably to turn it to swallow it), and I was able to drag it away before it did so.

Do we know anything about the sort of tackle the captor was using to land the fish in question?

Col

JayP

Isn't a pellet pig a fish that has been artificially reared in a fish farm, and then released for folk to catch it? It's not quite the same as a wild fish that has gorged itself on a constantly dependable food supply, though, physically, the outcome is much the same. But in principle, you could claim that a wild fish is a wild fish...
Here's a white river "pellet" pig where the constant dependable food supply is other fish, this one went about 40lb

asn2-trout.jpg

Gdog

That fish is pretty ugly too.

I wouldn't say its ugly, it has a big gut made worse by the way its being held, good shaped tail and reasonable sized head. Its nothing like as ugly as the large Ferox trout caught in Corrib or some of the other west of Ireland loughs, those fish are definitely not pellet pigs just big mean predators.

Cap'n Fishy

I wouldn't say its ugly, it has a big gut made worse by the way its being held, good shaped tail and reasonable sized head. Its nothing like as ugly as the large Ferox trout caught in Corrib or some of the other west of Ireland loughs, those fish are definitely not pellet pigs just big mean predators.

I don't think ferox are ugly at all. They are predators. Is a pike ugly because it is a predator? I don't think they are ugly. Some ferox are not great-looking, for sure, because they have been caught towards the end of their life, and are losing condition, so they can be a bit 'all head and tail'. This old dog is not great-looking...

... and neither is the fish. (Sorry, Denis! 🤭)

But a ferox caught in the prime of its life is surely as good looking a fish as any other trout...

Col

eddleston123

View attachment 32043

New Zealand Canal trout.

Jim

Obviously been knocked on the head - I wonder what it would taste like -
Or maybe it's a taxidermy job.

I just wish that anglers would not take photos of fish in their houses - especially in a kitchen!
There must be some beautiful backdrops of countryside were it was captured.

Douglas

3lbgrayling

Obviously been knocked on the head - I wonder what it would taste like -
Or maybe it's a taxidermy job.

I just wish that anglers would not take photos of fish in their houses - especially in a kitchen!
There must be some beautiful backdrops of countryside where it was captured.20

Douglas
Sorry Douglas.But this fish is in a cabin/tackle shop next to the canal/fishery.20lber's are common.it was sent to the taxidermist straight away,as a new record.
just google canal trout New Zealand. to see what they get up to.

Jim

Bongoch

Driven over/past the hydro canals multiple times when I've been in the McKenzie region of the south island but never been tempted to have a cast. There's a number of spring creeks in that area which are far more appealing!