New world record Brown ? 46.9lb

ohanzee

I had to search back to find why the strange need to prove its a brown trout, presuming this was all started by Easker saying he's never seen a brown trout like it? neither have I, but no one has claimed its not...if that is the reason.

Cap'n Fishy

I had to search back to find why the strange need to prove its a brown trout, presuming this was all started by Easker saying he's never seen a brown trout like it? neither have I, but no one has claimed its not...if that is the reason.

Eh, aye, it's all Easker doubting that it's a brownie. Keep up, FFS!

LukeNZ

I think we all know that it wouldn't end up like that in a natural environment.

...that might apply to all NZ trout. NZ is not their natural environment?

And; the record trout was wild, not stocked to fatten, or fattened and stocked; it could have roamed wherever it wanted, but chose all by itself, a really good paddock - as they say here.

There are a lot more like that in the Canterbury irrigation canals, and some of the hydro-electric water races, all wild, and big.

There is a bit of a following down south there in Central Otago for that kind of sport too.

Your regular trout fishers are not that interested, as in the south there are also good salmon runs too, as an added distraction; Chinook, Sockeye, and Atlantic salmon.

It is the brown trout fishing in a lot of the southern NZ rivers that is legendary; possibly locally more than globally.

You have to be around at the right time relative to rainfall, which can be, sporadic, epic, to none at all - best to come and live here if you want the best of it. I can highly recommend it.

🙃

Last edited:

ohanzee

It is at least A natural environment with natural feeding, is the case being made that the original pic is of a natural normal trout?

ohanzee

It is for its environment/ecosystem!
Hunners of them in there like that, is becoming a bit of a hotspot for monster trout!

Bert

It looks to me like it has more food than it needs, which is a pretty unusual thing in nature.

ohanzee

And; the record trout was wild, not stocked to fatten, or fattened and stocked; it could have roamed wherever it wanted, but chose all by itself, a really good paddock - as they say here.

There are a lot more like that in the Canterbury irrigation canals, and some of the hydro-electric water races, all wild, and big.

There is a bit of a following down south there in Central Otago for that kind of sport too.

Your regular trout fishers are not that interested, as in the south there are also good salmon runs too, as an added distraction; Chinook, Sockeye, and Atlantic salmon.

It is the brown trout fishing in a lot of the southern NZ rivers that is legendary; possibly locally more than globally.

You have to be around at the right time relative to rainfall, which can be, sporadic, epic, to none at all - best to come and live here if you want the best of it. I can highly recommend it.

🙃

I may be going to Tazmania at some point, I have family there but that precludes ever seeing NZ.

ohanzee

Not really.
Lots of examples where excess food/feeding availability causes massive growth in fish size.
Even here.
Bert

There are plenty massive trout that have developed naturally that don't look like that, that particular one looks to have put on weight faster than it can naturally grow to accommodate it, fat basically, easy feeding or whatever, but that is just my opinion, if that is the standard we should strive for I'm fine with not fancying it.

LukeNZ

There are plenty massive trout that have developed naturally that don't look like that, that particular one looks to have put on weight faster than it can naturally grow to accommodate it, fat basically, easy feeding or whatever, but that is just my opinion, if that is the standard we should strive for I'm fine with not fancying it.
..it’s a freak of an environment, that creates a few of those freaky fish each year.

Cap'n Fishy

I did, and I'm not spending more time establishing whether a trout is a trout ffs.

Aye, well, it's you who is sticking his nose into a correspondence between me and Derek. Better to keep out of it if you don't want to make yourself fully au fait with what is being discussed... ffs.

flathead

..it’s a freak of an environment, that creates a few of those freaky fish each year.

I have not read all this thread so will have missed some points and this may have already been discussed.

The canal where it was caught contains trout farms and these big fish feed off the surplus pellets and waste from the farmed trout....I have watched them doing it.