New world record Brown ? 46.9lb

Cap'n Fishy

We have locks in Scotland as well... in fact, having just mentioned the Caledonian Canal - it has locks on it...

😜

thetrouttickler

Seeing as foreign speakers are relying on this forum, then I'm going to be a stickler instead of a tickler ;)

I'm not certain that 'lock' is used in English in this context. Isn't it 'lake'?

A lock, among other meanings, is a short section of a canal with gates and sluices at each end which can be opened or closed to change the water level, used for raising and lowering boats.

3lbgrayling

Seeing as foreign speakers are relying on this forum, then I'm going to be a stickler instead of a tickler ;)

I'm not certain that 'lock' is used in English in this context. Isn't it 'lake'?

A lock, among other meanings, is a short section of a canal with gates and sluices at each end which can be opened or closed to change the water level, used for raising and lowering boats.

The English inability to pronounce LOCH,Is not my problem,it just gives me hours of laughs.

Jim

Cap'n Fishy

Well Col, to me these are magnificent fishes full stop! They are just thriving in the environment that is theirs and that they do not control. I Don like the fat cows from under the cages but your fit fishes feeding on the extra food such as sticklebacks I d fish for everyday (especially if reasonably far from the cages - like at least a couple of miles so let alone 10 miles away!!!).

In many rivers in France we have the opposite issue: the use of aggressive chemicals for farming has killed natural life in and around rivers resulting in less and smaller fishes: are these less wild because without humans they would be bigger and there would be more of them?

The coveted brown trouts in NZ are all unnatural, but I d fish for them everyday if I Could afford to...

Sor sure - in part it depends on what you consider to be 'unnatural' or 'artificial'. Folk travel from here to fish for the brown trout (and rainbow trout) in the rivers and lakes of New Zealand and the seatrout/sea-run browns (delete according to how you view them) of Patagonia. In both those places they are invasive species, having been introduced from Europe and the USA They are no different to grey squirrels in Britain. It is guaranteed that some native species suffered as a result of those introductions. The brown trout is an invasive species in the USA! o_O

Col

Last edited:

thetrouttickler

On the topic of this thread itself, I think that is a wonderful looking trout. I love brown trout. It's interesting to see the extent they can grow to and the form they take. I've driven past/over the canals in the south island, and bought pellets to feed the salmon in the cages therein. I've never wanted to fish in them though. Good luck to the trout and the anglers though.

Cap'n Fishy

The English inability to pronounce LOCH,Is not my problem,it just gives me hours of laughs.

Jim

As I have the same ___ch ending to my surname, as loch, I have had a lifetime of southern-accented people on the other end of the phone, asking me, "Is that Mr ___ack?" (Or sometimes, Mr ___atch.)

But as I have had a lifetime of it, I am totally immune to it... though I still enjoy correcting them and then listening to them have another go at it. If they are wanting to sell me something, they feel obliged to try and get it right. 😜

Col

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

The world would be a much poorer place if our colonial forbears had not taken trout ova with them.

I know it's not presently PC thinking to admit it, but I'm glad they did!

The brown trout as an invasive species is not something most of us consider...

Invasive brown trout

Speaking of the shape of trout, what about the seatrout at the top of that paper? What a long fish - not skinny - just looooonnngggg! Actually, looking at it more closely, I think the image has been distorted to stretch it?

Last edited:

easker1

the original pic reminds me more of a lake trout than a brownie, these can reach enormous sizes, it really didn't look like any Brownie I have seen, easker1

thetrouttickler

The brown trout as an invasive species is not something most of us consider...

Humans are invasive too. They literally walked from central Africa to every corner of the globe. So I don't put much stock in brown trout being 'invasive'. Trout are limited in their range by water temperature, unlike other truly invasive species which are unfettered.

Cap'n Fishy

Humans are invasive too. They literally walked from central Africa to every corner of the globe. So I don't put much stock in brown trout being 'invasive'. Trout are limited in their range by water temperature, unlike other truly invasive species which are unfettered.

Humans migrated by their own means, though. Grey squirrels did not get to Britain by their own means, and cane toads did not get to Australia by their own means. Humans transported them, with disastrous consequences for native wildlife. The brown trout has been transported to places it would not have reached naturally and is now a foreign introduction. It can expand its new ranges further by its wonderful ability to smolt and run to sea and use the sea to colonise new rivers... which it has done.

I'm not advocating eradicating it where it occurs outside its native range. Just saying we don't think of it as an invasive species - which it definitely is in some places - thanks to man. It's something to think about... :unsure: