New world record Brown ? 46.9lb

riogrand king

Aye, WTF is all that about? We have that here as well, though on nothing like that scale. Up the road from me, there is a fence round an electricity cabinet, and it has a single padlock on it! It looks so lonely. What's it all about?

Col
Col,
Actually just lifted this photo off the internet. The only place I ever saw "love locks" was on bridges along the Great Glen in Scotland. Read that Paris was removing all those locks out of fear for the structural stability of bridges.
Not the fashion here in Montana, but you'll often see pairs of shoes tossed over telephone wires to commemorate something or other.

ohanzee

Col,
Actually just lifted this photo off the internet. The only place I ever saw "love locks" was on bridges along the Great Glen in Scotland. Read that Paris was removing all those locks out of fear for the structural stability of bridges.
Not the fashion here in Montana, but you'll often see pairs of shoes tossed over telephone wires to commemorate something or other.

In Glasgow those demark gang territories, they are removed from incomers.

thetrouttickler

I’m sure it had something to do with French research, I know the only way to access the islands is for research with French approval! If I were a man of means I’d offer to fund their projects for a year in exchange for a month there! Here’s a little excerpt about the islands. A dream location for sure!

Since the early 1950s, several species of salmonids have been introduced more or less successfully in the Kerguelen Islands, a 7,215 km² archipelago located in the Southern Ocean (49°S, 70°E) and previously devoid of any freshwater fish. The aim of this work was to establish a documented chronicle of these events from available archives, to better understand the causes of the colonization failure or success for the different species. The history that emerged from the analysis of the archives appeared much more complex than previously published. Stocks of various origins were used, and numerous attempts were made at different sites involving variable numbers of fish released at different life stages. Between 1951 and 1991, 22 importation attempts took place, involving about 2 million individuals. Of the 8 species introduced (Salmo trutta, S. salar, Oncorhynchus mykiss, O. tshawytscha, O. kisutch, Salvelinus namaycush, S. fontinalis and S. alpinus), only 3 failed to establish local populations (O. mykiss, O. tshawytscha and S. namaycush). Overall, 23 watersheds were stocked. At present, 45 watersheds are colonized by one or several species. S. trutta, S. fontinalis, S. alpinus and O. kisutch were capable of migrating toward new habitats. The brown trout (S. trutta) was the only species to colonize a large number of watersheds (32 in about 10 generations). Its success can be explained by the diversity of origins, the number and importance of introduction and transfer attempts, the diversity of release sites and the peculiarities of its life cycle.

I’ll be honest I completely forgot! I’m currently saving for another fish graphic Abel so probably for the best!

I asked about them years ago here, would love to go. But you have to be prepared for the winds, apparently they are strong!

easker1

Northumberland has Loughs, the Falklands has sea run browns, brook trout came into the UK in 1864 stocked out in some lochs in 1870, due to the excessive rain in the last few years some have found their way in to other lochs, easker1

sean freeman

Northumberland has Loughs, the Falklands has sea run browns, brook trout came into the UK in 1864 stocked out in some lochs in 1870, due to the excessive rain in the last few years some have found their way in to other lochs, easker1
There are a couple river systems I want to try next season, a wild river Brookie in the U.K. would be something! Every population I’ve come across has unique markings, just as varying as brown trout too.

Jason 70

Keeping with the Brook Trout theme, I came across a youtube channel the other evening Allegheny Native some really nicely shot footage. Where I'm fishing tomorrow is nothing as pretty as there streams.

ohanzee

Remind me to bring a map and a marker pen next time I'm up :whistle:

Cap'n Fishy

Locks in Paris...

When the idea is started, but doesn't quite take off...

Oh well, at least they tried... 😜

codyarrow

But at the same time, he was a big supporter of how brown trout had been taken to various countries around the world where no trout were native and been introduced there and had thrived.

Carrying a couple of buckets of trout 10,000 ft up a mountain seems like a good deal compared to the British Empire's penal systems. :)

easker1

a lot of the high hill lochs round here were stocked by carrying the trout up on panniers on Garrons, their were quite a few stocked this way, easker1

Bourach

I’m afraid we can’t accept this a World Record for the following reasons:
1. It’s an alien species
2. It’s been artificially fed
3. It’s too ugly

Latest posts