New Zealand river recommendations

robbie2

Hi there,

I'm off to NZ for two months from mid october to mid december. Can anyone recommend rivers, regions, lakes anything that might point me in the direction of some great places????

Also any tackle advice or in fact any advice at all would be gratefully recieved.......

Many thanks,

Robbie

DAS

Robbie,
plenty of advice on tackle in the website I forwarded to you in the other post. I took a 9ft 5wt with a WF line. Get flies, leader etc out there, it's cheap enough and saves you carrying it out.

I fished around the Taupo area, including the Tongariro and the Whanganui, which was just sensational. I was based in Turangi for a few days, loads of "fishing B&B's" and tackle shops. I also fished a small stream that a guide took to me (and wouldn;t tell me what it was called!). A word of advice, getting a guide for a couple of days is worthwhile. I'd have caught a lot fewer fish without his help and avice. I also fished over towards Napier on the Tukituki, fewer fish than the Whanganui, but better sight fishing.

I also spent time fishing on the South Island, which was fantastic, except for the Didymo, which is a real pain. A mix of big rivers and small streams. Again, get local advice from either a guide or local tackle dealers.

If you want anymore advice, give me ashout.

Daran

P

Puss in Boots

Robbie,

There was a thread about various restrictions on taking tackle out to New Zealand, only last week.
I think you will find it of help:)
http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14705

If you haven't booked tickets yet; it looks like flying there via LA is better than the Asia route.

PiB

darkuser80

fly via LA you get bigger baggage allowance but on the converse side you ge to deal with American immigration and airport attendants

tassiepompom

Hey Robbie, I've got a pfd about angler access in NZ,it comes complete with map of a couple of rivers showing access,camping spots etc. As it's about 750 KBs I can email it direct. I think. If that's ok with you.
Cheers
bob Cooper

tassiepompom

Hi, Right, I can't get a link[nor make one]. If yous send an Email to information@southlandfishgame.co.nz and ask for The Northern Southland Anglers Access brochure, I reckon they will send you a copy. Don't forget that I can send the file 750 odd Ks direct if all else fails. I promise you that you will be most impressed with the brochure.
All the best.
Bob Cooper

macmad

If you're going to be in Otago the following link will be useful. It has pdfs for a few of the Otago fisheries. I recommend "The Guide to Trout Fishing in Otago" very strongly - excellent info on all of the fisheries.

http://www.nzfishing.com/AboutFishingInNZ/FGRegionalPamphlets/OTpamphlets.htm

Southland F and G have similar info at the following link. Their guide is very good too - not as well written as the Otago one which is edited by Brian Turner - a local poet and fly angler.
http://www.nzfishing.com/AboutFishingInNZ/FGRegionalPamphlets/STHpamphlets.htm

Given that part of the pleasure is exploring fisheries yourself and being able to roam freely you probably don't need a guide if you have these books. If you're thinking of hiring a guide in Otago its probably worth getting one of the long established local guides - PM me if you would like a couple of names.

I see that UK amazon has Mike Weddell's books. He's based in Otago and for a number of years cleaned up at the Waipahi Gold - the main local competition. He's a former world casting champion too I think. His book 10 of the best New Zealand trout flies is worth getting.

I'm going to be there October until Jan - might see you on the river;)

darkuser80

it sounds like there will be a few of us out there at the same time as I fly out on the 24th october for several months. Perhaps we should have a social out there!:p

robbie2

Thank you to everyone who has responded to this thread! There has been lots of really good info that will really help all of us going out there.

There does seem to be a lot of us going so a fishing social might be a good plan....

Thanks again folks,

Robbie

Wizard

Hey Robbie, How are ya!

Would you be going North or South Island?

Just to add I will be in NZ 15 Dec to 4 Jan.