Newbie looking for info!

naturenattie

Hi Everyone,

I hope this is the right place for this post! I am new to the UK and new to fly fishing in general. Did it a bit when I was younger with my mom but I would like to start getting into it seriously! I am looking for any and all advice/info for UK fishing- What rod/weight is most appropriate for fishing here and recommendations on make/model (greys, Shakespeare, Orvis?) , best places (I am in North Yorkshire), and generally what are the rules about fishing here? It seems you need a rod fishing license for all England and then if it's private land to buy day tickets is that correct? If someone knows of a fishing company that does beginner courses or helps a newbie like me out that would also be appreciated!

noel

Welcome to the forum, have you thought if you are going to river fish or stillwater ?

noel

That will help with further advice from the members . Someone will give you more advice on those lines .

noddy299

Welcome, you could do worse than a few hours with these guys.

North Yorkshire based, do river and stillwaters. Marina Gibson runs the place and she seems to know a thing or two.

jaybeegee

Hi and welcome to the forum. Yes, you will need an Environment Agency rod licence and then (in most cases) a day or season permit for your chosen water. Check out the Onstream Guide website, there is lot’s of useful stuff on there and Jonathan Barnes also guides in the Tees area.

B

JayP

Hi and welcome to the forum. Yes, you will need an Environment Agency rod licence and then (in most cases) a day or season permit for your chosen water. Check out the Onstream Guide website, there is lot’s of useful stuff on there and Jonathan Barnes also guides in the Tees area.

B
Has he learnt how to mend line yet?

GEK79

Hi Everyone,

I hope this is the right place for this post! I am new to the UK and new to fly fishing in general. Did it a bit when I was younger with my mom but I would like to start getting into it seriously! I am looking for any and all advice/info for UK fishing- What rod/weight is most appropriate for fishing here and recommendations on make/model (greys, Shakespeare, Orvis?) , best places (I am in North Yorkshire), and generally what are the rules about fishing here? It seems you need a rod fishing license for all England and then if it's private land to buy day tickets is that correct? If someone knows of a fishing company that does beginner courses or helps a newbie like me out that would also be appreciated!

Welcome and you will be well looked after here. Stay safe and good luck..
Gary

fingask

Hi Everyone,

Hi and welcome like all sports. Practice makes perfect you can read a lot watch a lot of videos etc. but you need to spend as much time as you can spare with the rod in your hand join the local fishing club maybe get a few trips with some members above all enjoy tight lines. Oh and there’s no such thing as a silly question

naturenattie

Thanks everyone. Any suggestion on good beginner rods/outfits? I was thinking a 9ft 3/4wt or 4/5wt for streams and trout?

GEK79

Thanks everyone. Any suggestion on good beginner rods/outfits? I was thinking a 9ft 3/4wt or 4/5wt for streams and trout?
As I learnt there are a million choices here and can depend on budget types of fishing so forth. If you live near a tackle shop are they open? See if you can try before you buy.. Shakespeare do good rods the agility rise 2 being one of them and good prices.. Have a look at the matchcatch thread here lots of talk of rods and lines.. I use a Sonik 9ft 3w for my rivers I did have a 10ft 3w but lost it on the bank.. It will boil down to budget where your trying to fish. You will get alot of help.. Look at the answers and the rods and Reels and lines that get mentioned more would be the ones I'd look into.
Gary

naturenattie

The matchcatch thread seems to mostly be about shipping issues with maxcatch? Can't see many recommendations. I think I would want a more reliable brand than what some have said about maxcatch. My budget is probably £60-150 for the rod, but 150 for an outfit would be great. I'm looking at some shakespeare ords, but also Greys (any model recommendations)? Orvis clearwater seems to be affordable used. I also like the Redington Classic Trout and any rod with a lifetime warranty.

noel

Just as an aside I presently own in 9' 5wt rods a Greys Platinum xd a Shakespeare Sigma and a Maxcatch Extreme 9'5 wt so ranging from £100 down to £17 and I know which I prefer and that's the Extreme .

JayP

The matchcatch thread seems to mostly be about shipping issues with maxcatch? Can't see many recommendations. I think I would want a more reliable brand than what some have said about maxcatch. My budget is probably £60-150 for the rod, but 150 for an outfit would be great. I'm looking at some shakespeare ords, but also Greys (any model recommendations)? Orvis clearwater seems to be affordable used. I also like the Redington Classic Trout and any rod with a lifetime warranty.
The Guideline Stoked outfit might be worth considering https://www.johnnorris.co.uk/collections/rod-outfits

JayP

The last YouTube video I watched of his he clearly had no concept of mending line to get a drag free drift and the amount of false casts to get a 30' line out was a joke too. Pretty poor skill set for a qualified instructor/ guide if you ask me!

PaulD

The last YouTube video I watched of his he clearly had no concept of mending line to get a drag free drift and the amount of false casts to get a 30' line out was a joke too. Pretty poor skill set for a qualified instructor/ guide if you ask me!

Qualified? No casting qualification that I can find.

jaybeegee

Not seen that one I don’t think. I’m pretty sure there has been some good reports of his guided days on the forum though and I’ve found some of his videos interesting......anyway Nellie’s cute. 😎
B