Newbie seeking advice on leaders/tippet

cmal1001

Hey all!

I've fished before but mostly with second hand ill equipped gear and i have pulled fish out of water with it but i am just getting back into it and have got some half decent proper gear. Its a greys kit 9ft, 6w - with the supplied reel and floating line. Now before hand i would always just bang 6ft or so of trilene on the end of my line and cast away sometimes i caught sometimes i didnt but i have been reading up alot on the importance of leader and after research i found that sticking trilene on the end of the line just wont bring me results.

So what i am askng is can anyone give some advice on what leader to get, and also tippet. do i even need a tippet material at the end of my leader? Can i make a leader out of tippet material (much the same as i was doing with trilene) Any brands to watch out for? P.s its mostly rezzie trout im fishing for. Big ponds, wee ponds and i love lures!

Thanks in advance.

3lbgrayling

Nothing wrong with Trilene.Especially if your casting/pulling lures.I would suggest that as a minimum you should try for a leader length that is the same as your rod length..

Jim

Last edited: