Next blanks

codyarrow

Dithering on whether to try the next 9ft 5wt? Are they worth the effort or do you end up with a perfectly usable but ultimately average fly rod?
My other possible choices would be at the other end of the scale, say a CTS Affinity X or M, fairly fast rods compared to the next blanks. However I am not sure in my own mind that a faster action is what I am looking for?

kingf000

Dithering on whether to try the next 9ft 5wt? Are they worth the effort or do you end up with a perfectly usable but ultimately average fly rod?
My other possible choices would be at the other end of the scale, say a CTS Affinity X or M, fairly fast rods compared to the next blanks. However I am not sure in my own mind that a faster action is what I am looking for?
I've made up 2 rods with next blanks - 10ft 2wt and 7ft 3wt. You are not looking at a top of the range rod but are equivalent to ~£300 rod blank. The big advantage is that you can customise the rod to give you the fittings, weight and balance you want. So you should be able to easily get a £300 rod but the weight and balance of a £600 rod. I did fine the Aventik AAA grade handle brilliant, light and the envy of my mates with Sage rods!

petevicar

I have made a couple of rods on CTS Affinity X blanks. They are very stiff. I use most of my rods for saltwater fishing and found that they are very stiff compared to top saltwater rods from Orvis or Sage.
I don't know the Next blanks but they are very cheap.

codyarrow

I have made a couple of rods on CTS Affinity X blanks. They are very stiff. I use most of my rods for saltwater fishing and found that they are very stiff compared to top saltwater rods from Orvis or Sage.
I don't know the Next blanks but they are very cheap.
I have a 10ft 7wt Affinity X rod that is my go to rod for bigger fish and very windy conditions. Absolutely love it. The Affinty M has a softer action from what I have read.

lakesman

NEX Tackle have received some good press, even Sandy Nelson putting in a good word specifically for the 9’ 5wt, albeit a few years ago.(see: fishingthefly.co.uk). I built the 8’6” 4wt after reading someone here describing it as an equal to his Guideline Fario. Whether above true or not, I am happy with the rod. Slightly heavier than today’s carbon but not noticeable. Used Seymo light wire snakes and Fuji stripper. Always dealt direct with Bfc, (not Ebay), who are an excellent company to deal with. Orders are completed within an hour or so of receipt, and, most importantly to me. any query is answered almost immediately. (Much easier to get a reply from Bulgaria than Selkirk!). Another plus is the fact that spare sections are readily available if ever needed.

kingf000

NEX Tackle have received some good press, even Sandy Nelson putting in a good word specifically for the 9’ 5wt, albeit a few years ago.(see: fishingthefly.co.uk). I built the 8’6” 4wt after reading someone here describing it as an equal to his Guideline Fario. Whether above true or not, I am happy with the rod. Slightly heavier than today’s carbon but not noticeable. Used Seymo light wire snakes and Fuji stripper. Always dealt direct with Bfc, (not Ebay), who are an excellent company to deal with. Orders are completed within an hour or so of receipt, and, most importantly to me. any query is answered almost immediately. (Much easier to get a reply from Bulgaria than Selkirk!). Another plus is the fact that spare sections are readily available if ever needed.
I've dealt with BFC direct but at one point they were selling their cork grips a lot cheaper on e-bay than direct from them. I did contact them about that and they gave me a refund. I think it is still a bit cheaper on e-bay if that is all you are buying from them.

lakesman

I've dealt with BFC direct but at one point they were selling their cork grips a lot cheaper on e-bay than direct from them. I did contact them about that and they gave me a refund. I think it is still a bit cheaper on e-bay if that is all you are buying from them.
The specific query was about a Nex 9’ 5 wt rod. As stated, Sandy Nelson, whose opinion I would value, was most complimentary when he was asked that very same question, and spoke from experience.

As for direct dealing with BFC vs Ebay, (a subject somewhat irrelevant to this query), I see someone who has created a successful business, and that business has been built on the back of excellent customer support, something frequently lacking these days. Thus I would rather see any profit made from my purchases go straight into the pocket of the owners of the business who not only do the hard work, but also take the risks, rather than see a percentage creamed off by the likes of Ebay.

kingf000

The specific query was about a Nex 9’ 5 wt rod. As stated, Sandy Nelson, whose opinion I would value, was most complimentary when he was asked that very same question, and spoke from experience.

As for direct dealing with BFC vs Ebay, (a subject somewhat irrelevant to this query), I see someone who has created a successful business, and that business has been built on the back of excellent customer support, something frequently lacking these days. Thus I would rather see any profit made from my purchases go straight into the pocket of the owners of the business who not only do the hard work, but also take the risks, rather than see a percentage creamed off by the likes of Ebay.
I agree with much of what you say, but surely BFC shouldn't be selling their own products cheaper on e-bay than direct from themselves? It ought to be the same price or more, to compenstate for the cream off from ebay. As codyarrow was talking about 'ending up' with a rod and it is in the rod building forum, I assume he is buying the blank and making up the rod himself. So commenting on the other rod components from BFS, surely IS relevant. To add more, I've bought 3 BFC handles and, being AA, they were of relatively poorer quality and heavier than AAA handles.

lakesman

I agree with much of what you say, but surely BFC shouldn't be selling their own products cheaper on e-bay than direct from themselves? It ought to be the same price or more, to compenstate for the cream off from ebay. As codyarrow was talking about 'ending up' with a rod and it is in the rod building forum, I assume he is buying the blank and making up the rod himself. So commenting on the other rod components from BFS, surely IS relevant. To add more, I've bought 3 BFC handles and, being AA, they were of relatively poorer quality and heavier than AAA handles.
Not worth arguing about, but I stand by the statement that the specific query was about a Nex 9’ 5 wt rod, and that means the blank as choice of fittings is often a personal thing and will vary from one individual to the next.

As for other BFC stock items, indeed they have some products that one may be happy to purchase, but also have items that one would prefer to go elsewhere for. Unless one is very lucky, (or not fussy), that generally applies to all shops. You will have noted that I used Seymo guides and a Fugi stripper, which are not BFC stock items. Same with the quality of cork, if you want AAA quality you don’t buy AA just because it is cheap and will arrive in the same parcel as your blanks.

kingf000

Not worth arguing about, but I stand by the statement that the specific query was about a Nex 9’ 5 wt rod, and that means the blank as choice of fittings is often a personal thing and will vary from one individual to the next.

Open to confusion as BFC sell both the Next 9' 5wt rod and the Next 9' 5wt blank. Codyarrow just said " Next 9' 5wt".

codyarrow

I was considering that blank for bank fishing dries over weed at Grafham, what don't you like?

If you have 20 yds out it loads well. Fishing lines at shorter distances I find it to stiff (or fast)to load the rod. My own fault really I should have done more research and thought about it a bit more than I did for the type of fishing available to me . For rainbows on big waters and boats it will probably fish well for you. What I want to find is something between a Harrison Traditional and an XL50.

codyarrow

Open to confusion as BFC sell both the Next 9' 5wt rod and the Next 9' 5wt blank. Codyarrow just said " Next 9' 5wt".

Rod Building = blank.
BFC on ebay does confuse me a bit. Blank postage and set of rings £5. Full kit with handle and reel seat postage £25? Might be some reason for this - but seems dis proportionate.

JayP

If you have 20 yds out it loads well. Fishing lines at shorter distances I find it to stiff (or fast)to load the rod. My own fault really I should have done more research and thought about it a bit more than I did for the type of fishing available to me . For rainbows on big waters and boats it will probably fish well for you. What I want to find is something between a Harrison Traditional and an XL50.
That actually sounds exactly what I'm looking for, ta 👍

I reckon this ticks the boxes for you https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/513...2&organic_search_click=1&variation0=543372054

kingf000

Rod Building = blank.
BFC on ebay does confuse me a bit. Blank postage and set of rings £5. Full kit with handle and reel seat postage £25? Might be some reason for this - but seems dis proportionate.
Very strange!!! As you say, the blank plus rings - £45.99 plus £4.99 postage: cork handle £6.99 + £2.99: reel seat £14.90 + £2.99: total cost £78.85. Buy the same as a kit: £63.90 + £24.99, total cost £88.89!
Buy the kit direct from them: about £64 with free shipping!

Last edited:

The Squire

Rod Building = blank.
Exactly what I thought having just had a quick gander around their ebay shop!