Next fly fishing holiday

Rob Edmunds

I'm looking to go back to Cuba- Cayo Coco.....and know I must travel via Canada

Any idea why Sunwing website automatically blocks me ??

Or what's the best way to book the Melia or Pullmsn in Cayo Coco.....

Cheers Rob

anzac

Or any ideas for 2 people.....max budget 6k
One suggestion is to fly to either US coast, hire a car and visit some of the local waters. You could minimise expenses by staying at motels or budget hotels.

You could research the waters on the Yank forum or by contacting Trout Unlimited.

kevind62

Trust Member
Your budget should work fine for either US or Canada with the GBP being above the USD and well above the Canadian dollar. If you come to either, I would encourage you to research fly gear you may want to purchase that you don't already have. I had friends in the UK when I worked abroad that would always take advantage of the opportunity for me to purchase items for them and bring to work. They would get things at a 50% - 70% savings vs purchasing the same items on your side of the pond. It was never a problem and didn't cost me any extra to bring the items. Look on Amazon or Cabela's/BassPro websites. For the Cabela's and BassPro you can ship to the store nearest your destination and pick it up when you arrive or ship to your hotel. It's always free to ship to the store and they are located all over the US. For Amazon you can ship to your hotel. Notify your hotel you will have something shipped there and they will hold for you. I had a colleague who was looking at a particular fly rod. The rod in the UK was just over 1000 GBP. In the US I found it for just under $500 USD. Do the math on that one. ;) Also, look on the sister site for this one - North American Fly Fishing Forum - www.theflyfishingforum.com and check out the Classified section and surf the Fly Shops and Online Retailers thread. All of these US online retailers and shops will ship anywhere in the US and will have great deals on quality gear.

What time of year are you thinking of going? Right now and through the spring it is a hit and miss on eastern US waters (Appalachian mountain range and Adirondacks). Lots of weather fronts moving this time of year and water can be high, muddy, and fast or you can have lots of ice in the northeast. The good thing is it usually only takes a couple of days to clear up the water and levels to return to normal from the rains. The Rockies (Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, and northern New Mexico) there is an abundance of snowpack on both the front range, and the western slopes. This could hinder access to some areas. If you wait till summer this will mean high, fast water from the runoff. Snowpack for the Rockies appears to be on track to be the same as the past two years. Well above normal in most areas. Some areas could reach 150% - 200% of their normal snowpack for the year. This pushes runoff through late July or in some areas even early to mid-August. Fishing is still great but a guide and float is probably your best bet for fishing access, as wading will be limited with the exception of back country streams. If you want to do summer time wading with back country hiking for fishing, research the area well and pack accordingly. ;) This is my back country gear for Montana spring through mid fall (autumn). :D

IMG_5146 copy.jpg

I've never had to use it, but I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. ;) You can always book a guide after you arrive. Find a guide service and challenge the guide to a foot race. If you can out run him or her I'd go with that one. :D

I'm just having fun with you. I rarely have to pack in with this. Only if I know I'm in areas known for grizzlies (which is a very small percentage of available fishing waters) and there has been a report of a bear in the area in the past few weeks. And usually if I'm fishing alone in the vicinity of such an area. Although there are grizzly attacks every year it's not something you would call common and they're pretty much isolated to a given area. Mostly it's people who don't pay attention to where they are and encroach on the bear's territory carelessly. Attacks on fishermen have occurred in the past but are extremely rare. Researching a fishing spot and the best route to get there is important. If you're a back country fanatic just stay clear of thickets and brushy areas when traveling by foot if you're in bear country. And make noise. Play music on your smart device loudly while walking and talk to your partner (the slow one). Don't let this deter you from fishing back country. This is some of the finest wild trout fishing you'll experience anywhere in the world. And it's not crowded. Most people stay close to the highways and easy access since they are usually time limited and don't want to waste fishing time traveling 3 - 5 miles on foot to fish. If you have time, the Alpine lakes and high elevation streams can give you a wonderful experience and memory. In the Rockies, most of the wildlife you'll encounter will be Antelope, Mule Deer, Elk, and Bighorn Seep.

Rob Edmunds

Many Thanks for the detailed reply Kevin.....

It seems that we are now off to Costa Rica ( Playa Hermosa) in December as between myself and the better half we felt it was the best option.............mostly popper fishing and livebaits rather than flyfishing ( alythough she will insist on a fly rod !) but I'm happy with that.....already started making enquiries as regards inshore boat fishing

Next year 2121 it will be Canada or New Zeland........so plenty to research.........