Next Year

mackiia1

I try to be optimistic about life in general and I would hope that a successful Vaccine roll out will see a lifting of these Covid restrictions , allowing life to get back to somewhere near normal.
As 2020 comes to an end and with 2021 nearly upon us - I find myself thinking about things I'd like to do next year.
Getting back to fish Corrib is high on my list , but I would also like to try out some new Loughs , I have heard good things about Loughs Ree and Arrow .
A trip abroad with the lads for some fishing too maybe . I have enjoyed my previous Stillwater fishing trips to the UK so thats a possibility - or maybe somewhere in Europe, like Polands San River - or trout fishing in Iceland.
Anyone else on here hopeful about next year and planning anything ?:)
Or will it be more doom and gloom?:(

G

GEK79

I try to be optimistic about life in general and I would hope that a successful Vaccine roll out will see a lifting of these Covid restrictions , allowing life to get back to somewhere near normal.
As 2020 comes to an end and with 2021 nearly upon us - I find myself thinking about things I'd like to do next year.
Getting back to fish Corrib is high on my list , but I would also like to try out some new Loughs , I have heard good things about Loughs Ree and Arrow .
A trip abroad with the lads for some fishing too maybe . I have enjoyed my previous Stillwater fishing trips to the UK so thats a possibility - or maybe somewhere in Europe, like Polands San River - or trout fishing in Iceland.
Anyone else on here hopeful about next year and planning anything ?:)
Or will it be more doom and gloom?:(
If your going to Arrow let me know as my brother in law lives almost on the shore.. And knows it well.. 👍👍 I'd be happy to meet you for a cast as well..

BobP

I am hoping that a trip to Austria might be possible by mid-June or September if not. However, I will not go by air but will drive down via the Tunnel. Just hope the Frenchies aren't being too stupid about passport checks etc.

G

GEK79

I am hoping that a trip to Austria might be possible by mid-June or September if not. However, I will not go by air but will drive down via the Tunnel. Just hope the Frenchies aren't being too stupid about passport checks etc.
Could be possible...how long would that drive take. We all live in hope.

Last edited by a moderator:

glueman

Or the UK on your return, question what reason have you got to prohibit the French from checking and studying your passport. You have not been to the USA where immigration takes ages and a complete set of fingerprints.or into Aus or China

Mrtrout

If your going to Arrow let me know as my brother in law lives almost on the shore.. And knows it well.. 👍👍 I'd be happy to meet you for a cast as well..
I fished Arrow a few years ago, I just happened to be driving past it so I booked a lovely B&B on the shore. The lady who owned it lent me her boat it was a beautiful place. Unfortunately it was totally wrong weather, flat calm and bright sun, so didnt touch a fish but I know it’s renowned for its mayfly season.
S.

smallmouth

Next year fishing wise, I’d like to:

Continue fishing the modest stretch of local river I’ve been enjoying this year.

Get far enough up the waiting list on my favourite local reservoir to become a member, if not then at least continue to be able to fish it on day tickets.

Manage the odd day trip fly fishing a bit further afield.

Have a holiday somewhere I can fish “traditionally” for wild brownies in upland lakes, something I’ve done very little of. Maybe in Wales, a country I’ve barely visited and never fished in.

Not very ambitious maybe, but within my limited means these days and I’ll be happy enough if I manage the first three. Events this year have demonstrated that nothing can be taken for granted......

G

GEK79

I fished Arrow a few years ago, I just happened to be driving past it so I booked a lovely B&B on the shore. The lady who owned it lent me her boat it was a beautiful place. Unfortunately it was totally wrong weather, flat calm and bright sun, so didnt touch a fish but I know it’s renowned for its mayfly season.
S.
Next time you'll not need a B&B.. There's a spare room waiting for you. 😜😜

G

GEK79

Next year fishing wise, I’d like to:

Continue fishing the modest stretch of local river I’ve been enjoying this year.

Get far enough up the waiting list on my favourite local reservoir to become a member, if not then at least continue to be able to fish it on day tickets.

Manage the odd day trip fly fishing a bit further afield.

Have a holiday somewhere I can fish “traditionally” for wild brownies in upland lakes, something I’ve done very little of. Maybe in Wales, a country I’ve barely visited and never fished in.

Not very ambitious maybe, but within my limited means these days and I’ll be happy enough if I manage the first three. Events this year have demonstrated that nothing can be taken for granted......
I hope you get all you have asked for.

tierradelfuego

Last year, about this time, I said to my wife... Next year I will be fishing one day every weekend from the start of April until mid to late June, and that didn't exactly go to plan... maybe next year it will but I won't be counting on it just yet.

nitsy

I'm hoping next year will be the year for me. This year I managed to get a few hours of fishing done, but it was my first go since around 1990.

I'm also hoping that fish are still keen on flies tied during the 1980s (as that's all I've got). I presume things haven't changed much ;)

sean freeman

Ireland will hopedukky incorporate a ballyshannon visit.. 😜😜
I’ll bring a few nice rods/reels and hopefully an Eden cane to play with! 😁

Have you a trip to Iceland sorted yet Sean- what are you planning.
Where in Iceland are you going to fish.?
Yeah we had booked this year but pushed it back to next year, only a four day trip but we're fishing Thingvallavatn, Villingvatn and Ulfjotsvatn. Should be a nice mix of brownies and char hopefully!

mackiia1

I’ll bring a few nice rods/reels and hopefully an Eden cane to play with! 😁

Yeah we had booked this year but pushed it back to next year, only a four day trip but we're fishing Thingvallavatn, Villingvatn and Ulfjotsvatn. Should be a nice mix of brownies and char hopefully!
Enjoy Sean - It's a place I would love to go.
I like the look of this place.

sean freeman

Enjoy Sean - It's a place I would love to go.
I like the look of this place.

That looks awesome! Sadly a lot of the prime water has been bought up by the big fishing agents. We wanted to do a few days on the prime Highland rivers self guided but you have to take them up on a guide now, makes the price jump by a hell of a lot! I know how to fish a river well, I don’t need a guide. For the same money I’d do Greenland for the trophy Arctic Char!

If we do Iceland again it’ll be the cheap ticket they do that covers a large amount of waters. April on the non private national park beats of Thingvallavatn actually produces the biggest fish too! We only found this out after paying a fortune to an outfitter.

taffy1

Next year? I hope everyone is well & healthy & we all can get back to some sense of stability to continue doing what we were doing last year, before this despicable pandemic took its toll with many unfortunate people that now, sadly, won't be thinking about next year.

mackiia1

That looks awesome! Sadly a lot of the prime water has been bought up by the big fishing agents. We wanted to do a few days on the prime Highland rivers self guided but you have to take them up on a guide now, makes the price jump by a hell of a lot! I know how to fish a river well, I don’t need a guide. For the same money I’d do Greenland for the trophy Arctic Char!

If we do Iceland again it’ll be the cheap ticket they do that covers a large amount of waters. April on the non private national park beats of Thingvallavatn actually produces the biggest fish too! We only found this out after paying a fortune to an outfitter.
I priced a few days on the Big Laxa up in the north of Iceland and it was pretty saucy . Some of the other rivers up there are not too bad . But add in Jeep Hire and flights and it ran into the thousands.
The last time I looked , Jeep Hire alone was about 1000 euro for a week.
I must do a bit of research - there must be a cheaper way of doing it.

Latest posts