Next Year

Mies

Hopefully a trip to Vancouver Island for some salmon and steelhead fishing next September. I have some cousins living there and they're all avid outdoor enthusiasts. If I time it right, they've promised to throw in some Bucktail hunting as a bonus. Fingers crossed, we have an effective vaccine by then and we're back to some semblance of normality. 🤞

G

GEK79

Hopefully a trip to Vancouver Island for some salmon and steelhead fishing next September. I have some cousins living there and they're all avid outdoor enthusiasts. If I time it right, they've promised to throw in some Bucktail hunting as a bonus. Fingers crossed, we have an effective vaccine by then and we're back to some semblance of normality. 🤞
Something to look forward to sounds amazing..

Mies

Something to look forward to sounds amazing..

Indeed, Gary. I missed out on a trip with my brother a few years ago due to illness. Oddly enough, he said he didn't enjoy it all that much because the fishing was too 'easy' o_O
If last season on my 'local', the Corrib, is anything to go by 'easy' sounds just fine to me ;)

G

GEK79

Indeed, Gary. I missed out on a trip with my brother a few years ago due to illness. Oddly enough, he said he didn't enjoy it all that much because the fishing was too 'easy' o_O
If last season on my 'local', the Corrib, is anything to go by 'easy' sounds just fine to me ;)
The Corrib is only 2 hours from our new house will have to pencil a cast or 2 next season.. 😜😜

BobP

Could be possible...how long would that drive take. We all live in hope.

I used to go by car years ago with my parents, and then went twice later when I was married & had kids of my own. Every trip was an adventure in itself. It is just over 700 miles from the French coast to where we stay in Austria & the last time I drove it was in 1980 and it took 17 hours with one driver. Took a couple of hours out for a kip in a service area somewhere in Germany and an hour for breakfast in Austria.

After that I realised I could have breakfast in England, lunch in Austria and fish in the afternoon until O'Leary got too greedy. The last few years we've gone BA to Salzburg which cost very little more than O'Leary's lot AND I got a bigger luggage allowance - 23kg instead of 15 which is rather useful to the travelling angler. Fishing kit tends to take up quite a lot of space and weighs heavy for what it is.

If I do it this time we'll overnight somewhere in Germany. I'm getting too old for long distance marathon drives, but I certainly don't trust travelling by air these days.

For Glueman's benefit. Don't assume what you don't know. We went through US immigration 3 times in 7 weeks last summer, so we know all about that.

I don't trust the French Customs not to be stroppy post-Brexit. 2 hour delays are already being talked about. Stupid because it'll do their economy no good at all in the long run. If it looks likely I'll go by ferry via Ostende.

G

GEK79

I used to go by car years ago with my parents, and then went twice later when I was married & had kids of my own. Every trip was an adventure in itself. It is just over 700 miles from the French coast to where we stay in Austria & the last time I drove it was in 1980 and it took 17 hours with one driver. Took a couple of hours out for a kip in a service area somewhere in Germany and an hour for breakfast in Austria.

After that I realised I could have breakfast in England, lunch in Austria and fish in the afternoon until O'Leary got too greedy. The last few years we've gone BA to Salzburg which cost very little more than O'Leary's lot.

If I do it this time we'll overnight somewhere in Germany. I'm getting too old for long distance marathon drives, but I certainly don't trust travelling by air these days.

For Glueman's benefit. Don't assume what you don't know. We went through US immigration 3 times in 7 weeks last summer, so we know all about that.

I don't trust the French Customs not to be stroppy post-Brexit. 2 hour delays are already being talked about. Stupid because it'll do their economy no good at all in the long run. If it looks likely I'll go by ferry via Ostende.
Thanks mate.. I will await the update.. And hope you get there safely..

glueman

After that I realised I could have breakfast in England, lunch in Austria and fish in the afternoon until O'Leary got too greedy. The last few years we've gone BA to Salzburg which cost very little more than O'Leary's lot AND I got a bigger luggage allowance - 23kg instead of 15 which is rather useful to the travelling angler. Fishing kit tends to take up quite a lot of space and weighs heavy for what it is.

Bobp 5 years back it took me and my friend 4 hours to get through immigration at LAX

glueman

As for taking 17 hours to drive 700 miles things have changed on in Europe,I can get from Calais to Bourg Saint Maurice in 8 hours and tank and a half of diesel. Though the 200 miles to Folkstone takes 4 hours sometimes more

BobP

As for taking 17 hours to drive 700 miles things have changed on in Europe,I can get from Calais to Bourg Saint Maurice in 8 hours and tank and a half of diesel. Though the 200 miles to Folkstone takes 4 hours sometimes more

40 years ago it wasn't motorway all the way and the car was a Volvo 340 so not exactly a speed machine.

nitsy

Next year I'm also hopefully going to spend more time on this forum, as so far it seems a friendly and helpful place. Thanks guys! :)

BobP

1970 I would leave Birmingham at about 5 in the afternoon and be in the south of France by mid afternoon the following day in my cooper s
I doubt you would do it these days unless you were happy to incur more than the car's worth in speeding fines. Lots of radars these days that weren't invented in 1970.

glueman

I doubt you would do it these days unless you were happy to incur more than the car's worth in speeding fines. Lots of radars these days that weren't invented in 1970.
My so does prior to covid the south of France to Calais in 8 hours and about 100 Euros in tolls. The French speed limit in dry weather on a motorway is 80 mph

shropshire_lad

An optimistic thread to end the year - great idea! :)

First and foremost, I'd like to take some positives from this year. I have done b*gger all fishing and the two trips I had did not inspire me. Hoping for something different next year. However, the first lockdown in wonderful weather did allow a re-evaluation for many I hope of what is important. Apparently, only a small percentage of people want life to return to exactly what it was pre-Covid.

That said, next year is looking promising and with my wife giving up work at Christmas (not worth the risk as a part-time drama teacher) I'm looking forward to going away OUT OF THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER in our married life. Hoping to get to North Wales and my special mountain lakes where I can wrap a fly line around my neck without anyone seeing ;) If I can fool a couple of wild sub-pound brownies I'll be ecstatic.

shortcircuit

Next year my main goal is to keep improving and exploring my home waters: there is about 20 miles that I can access and I must only have fished a fraction of that. I would also like to improve my euro nymphing: I am catching a few fish when I try this method, but I know I should be catching far more. I think I could do with a refresher lesson.

I will also try and get out on the Siur more this year if I can, I only got to fish it three times. Must also spend a bit more time on the Anner as it is near where I grew up.

mackiia1

Next year my main goal is to keep improving and exploring my home waters: there is about 20 miles that I can access and I must only have fished a fraction of that. I would also like to improve my euro nymphing: I am catching a few fish when I try this method, but I know I should be catching far more. I think I could do with a refresher lesson.

I will also try and get out on the Siur more this year if I can, I only got to fish it three times. Must also spend a bit more time on the Anner as it is near where I grew up.
Euro Nymphing a work in progress for me too - I really must fish some of our beautiful rivers a lot more than recent years.

suzuki15hp

I'm looking forward to a lockdown-free year in 2021 and getting my boat back on its berth on Corrib.

I'll almost certainly miss the early part of the season, as if things go to plan, I'll be having a knee replacement operation towards the end of February, beginning of March, but the minute I can drive the car again, I'll be down to my boat and out on the lake most afternoons. What a beautiful thought, imagining my boat cutting through a nice wee wave, in a south westerly breeze, on my way to my first drift. The anticipation is almost as good as the fishing. Almost.

And it'll be a bonus if the airlines start flying between Ireland and Australia again, as my wife will be able to use her air ticket at last, which she's had since April past, to visit our son his wife and our "new" twin granddaughters, who will be one year old next month. That also gives me a 6-week licence to do WTF I like. :D

mackiia1

I'm looking forward to a lockdown-free year in 2021 and getting my boat back on its berth on Corrib.

I'll almost certainly miss the early part of the season, as if things go to plan, I'll be having a knee replacement operation towards the end of February, beginning of March, but the minute I can drive the car again, I'll be down to my boat and out on the lake most afternoons. What a beautiful thought, imagining my boat cutting through a nice wee wave, in a south westerly breeze, on my way to my first drift. The anticipation is almost as good as the fishing. Almost.

And it'll be a bonus if the airlines start flying between Ireland and Australia again, as my wife will be able to use her air ticket at last, which she's had since April past, to visit our son his wife and our "new" twin granddaughters, who will be one year old next month. That also gives me a 6-week licence to do WTF I like. :D
A fella could do a lot of damage in 6 weeks :)

I had a bit of luck last week - my wife won a Kayak on a Facebook raffle by a new local Kayak shop.

I contacted them and they agreed to upgrade the Kayak to the Fishing Model . I can't wait to use it - might be handy on the Corrib to get into those difficult spots - the spots where all the Big Trout are.;):)

Last edited:

Mies

A fella could do a lot of damage in 6 weeks :)

I had a bit of luck last week - my wife won a Kayak on a Facebook raffle by a new local Kayak shop.

I contacted them and they agreed to upgrade the Kayak to the Fishing Model . I can't wait to use it - might be handy on the Corrib to get into those difficult spots - the spots were all the Big Trout are.;):)

I'll keep an eye out for you.... :whistle:

Latest posts