Next Year

rockslider

I priced a few days on the Big Laxa up in the north of Iceland and it was pretty saucy . Some of the other rivers up there are not too bad . But add in Jeep Hire and flights and it ran into the thousands.
The last time I looked , Jeep Hire alone was about 1000 euro for a week.
I must do a bit of research - there must be a cheaper way of doing it.
get a big gang of us together, then split up and fish where you like, im sure iceland cant have that many fisheries officers, sure they should only get one of us!

micka

A couple of days trout fishing (with an overnight or two) on rivers I've yet to fish for trout: Annan, Upper Tees, Clyde.

Hoping our annual trip to Pitchroy on the Spey in May will be on next year - cancelled this year.

Just finally got my money back for cancelled June Islamorada/Florida trip for accommodation and flights but like Bob I'm wary of flying until vaccines really turn things around with Covid. Also, just hearing that Easy Jet are even going to charge for overhead luggage now I can see the airlines trying to recover losses incurred during Covid by all sorts of rip off tricks.

So might return to the Kyle of Tongue to fly fish for sea trout and bass in the estuary and brownies in the hill lochs and perhaps a second chance of dapping on Loch Hope - only caught finnock last time. Such a beautiful part of the world.

Mick

haggstock

Hopefully a trip to Vancouver Island for some salmon and steelhead fishing next September. I have some cousins living there and they're all avid outdoor enthusiasts. If I time it right, they've promised to throw in some Bucktail hunting as a bonus. Fingers crossed, we have an effective vaccine by then and we're back to some semblance of normality. 🤞
Amazing place . Friendly , lovely , like the U.K. should still be . I took a half day salmon mooching charter . After a dozen fish up to 14lbs the skipper said , do you want to stop just catching but go try for a big one ! Have a look at the Islander reels made locally whilst you’re there . Do the whole tourist bit as well See the Orcas , the Gardens , kayak with seals and fish and chips at Barbs in the harbour !! The Ferry up and down from Victoria to Seattle is cheap and a beautiful trip too .

sean freeman

Amazing place . Friendly , lovely , like the U.K. should still be . I took a half day salmon mooching charter . After a dozen fish up to 14lbs the skipper said , do you want to stop just catching but go try for a big one ! Have a look at the Islander reels made locally whilst you’re there . Do the whole tourist bit as well See the Orcas , the Gardens , kayak with seals and fish and chips at Barbs in the harbour !! The Ferry up and down from Victoria to Seattle is cheap and a beautiful trip too .
Sounds awesome, my fiancée and I are planning a three week trip from Vancouver to Calgary for our honeymoon. Of course a few stops will be made at famous rivers and outfitters! A visit to buy an islander reel is on the cards too.

haggstock

Sounds awesome, my fiancée and I are planning a three week trip from Vancouver to Calgary for our honeymoon. Of course a few stops will be made at famous rivers and outfitters! A visit to buy an islander reel is on the cards too.
It’s awesome ! What sums it up is the Canadian Customs post in Victoria harbour . I’d been working , suffering some corporate global team building shite in Seattle , and stayed on to take the ferry up from Seattle to Victoria . On arriving in my scruffy leather jacket and jeans I presented my British Passport . The officer said purpose of visit , I said been working in USA , I’ve come here to try the fishing , he said “ Correct Answer , welcome to Canada ! “ . Smashing people . All the way back to forty years ago when a bus driver in Niagra Falls heard my wife’s northern accent , then called her “love “ . You’ll have a terrific time .

BobP

You'll need to go via Kamloops. Brilliant lake fishing for the local rainbows. If you can, try the Clearwater river north of Kamloops. I see that the tackle store in Little Fort is now doing boat trips down the lower Clearwater and into the Thomson River. Worth a go. 2021 should be a big Pink Salmon run and Hope is as good a spot as any for those. A decent sink tip line around a 6 or 7 and any fly you like as long as it is pink. Pink is a must for pink salmon.

In Vancouver there is Dave Steele's tackle store in North Vancouver only a few minutes from the Sea Bus terminal. Definitely worth a visit for local information.

mackiia1

Does she know about all these stops.??😁
I remember my honeymoon in the USA - I knew lots of people in Boston , cousins and guys from school who had emigrated.
They took me fishing and golfing while their wifes and girlfriends took my new Mrs. shopping and sightseeing. 😃
We would then all meet in the evening for dinner and drinks. Perfect.
One of the guys held a BBQ for us and there was 24 people from my home village at it.
Great holiday.
We spent a week then in NY on our own - after 3 days I was bored Sh1tless.🙄

Last edited:

Mies

Sounds great, H. Sounds like I'll be spoilt for choice. I've planned for two weeks but I'll probably extend that to three. We have a friend, a retired RCMP chap with a cabin on the Chilcotin river and he's invited us up for some fishing but it's a bit of a haul so I doubt we'll be able to squeeze it in. Looks like I might have to make it an annual visit (y)

Mies

I remember my honeymoon in the USA - I knew lots of people in Boston , cousins and guys from school who had emigrated.
They took me fishing and golfing while their wifes and girlfriends took my new Mrs. shopping and sightseeing. 😃
We would then meet in the evening for dinner and drinks. Perfect.
One of the guys held a BBQ for us and there was 24 people from my home village at it.
Great holiday.

For such a massive country it's gas who you run into. I was driving across the Golden Gate bridge once and glanced over at the car along side me. The lad driving was a a year behind me in school . We nearly wrecked the cars waving and shouting over at one another :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

sean freeman

We would then all meet in the evening for dinner and drinks. Perfect.
Great holiday.
Had the exact same experience when I went to visit family in Boston in 2017. I was with my two brothers and we absolutely loved Boston, great atmosphere at night and a more relaxed pace compared to NYC. We stayed at the Boston Omni Parker for two weeks and our hotel in Greenwich Village in New York cost around the same for four nights! Too busy for me. Never even checked for a tackle shop either but I’ve been told there is a good one not far from the Empire State Building.

Sound like we’ve picked well with British Columbia! I’ll probably stop off for a cast and get attacked by a grizzly knowing my luck!

mackiia1

Had the exact same experience when I went to visit family in Boston in 2017. I was with my two brothers and we absolutely loved Boston, great atmosphere at night and a more relaxed pace compared to NYC. We stayed at the Boston Omni Parker for two weeks and our hotel in Greenwich Village in New York cost around the same for four nights! Too busy for me. Never even checked for a tackle shop either but I’ve been told there is a good one not far from the Empire State Building.

Sound like we’ve picked well with British Columbia! I’ll probably stop off for a cast and get attacked by a grizzly knowing my luck!
BC is brilliant. I fished there in 2009 with 7 other lads. We flew into Seattle Tacoma Airport and drove up. Beautiful part of world.
The guides warned us about bear attacks and what to do if we stumbled into one - apparently Black Bears were plentiful but only the odd Grizzly where we were.
2 completely different ways of reacting by all accounts - never got to test the advice , actually never even saw a Bear.

russfx

I try to be optimistic about life in general and I would hope that a successful Vaccine roll out will see a lifting of these Covid restrictions , allowing life to get back to somewhere near normal.
As 2020 comes to an end and with 2021 nearly upon us - I find myself thinking about things I'd like to do next year.
Getting back to fish Corrib is high on my list , but I would also like to try out some new Loughs , I have heard good things about Loughs Ree and Arrow .
A trip abroad with the lads for some fishing too maybe . I have enjoyed my previous Stillwater fishing trips to the UK so thats a possibility - or maybe somewhere in Europe, like Polands San River - or trout fishing in Iceland.
Anyone else on here hopeful about next year and planning anything ?:)
Or will it be more doom and gloom?:(

Ever hopeful! I had a trip to fish tenkara in the Italian Alp with Vito Rubino cancelled in July - the thought of a second attempt at the trip this summer is definitely keeping me going this winter!

BobP

Sean,

Write this down in big blood red capital letters because it is born of experience from travelling in BC. There is one thing the locals will tell you. "You must go and visit/see xxxxxxxx. It's not very far." Their version of not very far is something in the order of 300 miles! You hear that "It's not very far" and set the alarm!

The other thing is to watch your fuel, assuming you will be driving. Filling stations have a habit of being 200 miles apart. When the needle hits half a tank fill up at the next one you see.

The third thing to have handy is a small torch. This is to look up house numbers at night. BC has the weirdest system of numbering their houses I've ever seen and the street could be ten miles long in the first place. It is quite possible to have number 1421 and next door is 1490. What the hell happened to the other 79?

Have fun. If all goes well I'll go in 2022.

sean freeman

Sean,

Write this down in big blood red capital letters because it is born of experience from travelling in BC. There is one thing the locals will tell you. "You must go and visit/see xxxxxxxx. It's not very far." Their version of not very far is something in the order of 300 miles! You hear that "It's not very far" and set the alarm!

The other thing is to watch your fuel, assuming you will be driving. Filling stations have a habit of being 200 miles apart. When the needle hits half a tank fill up at the next one you see.

The third thing to have handy is a small torch. This is to look up house numbers at night. BC has the weirdest system of numbering their houses I've ever seen and the street could be ten miles long in the first place. It is quite possible to have number 1421 and next door is 1490. What the hell happened to the other 79?

Have fun. If all goes well I'll go in 2022.
Great advice, nice one! That’s the year we’re planning on going. Getting married June '22 and planning on doing Canada in the summer for three weeks and NZ for two weeks over Christmas!

Divorce shortly after if the trips go as planned 🎣:ROFLMAO: