Fly Fishing Forum banner

Next Year

7K views 100 replies 29 participants last post by  wjg 
#1 ·
I try to be optimistic about life in general and I would hope that a successful Vaccine roll out will see a lifting of these Covid restrictions , allowing life to get back to somewhere near normal.
As 2020 comes to an end and with 2021 nearly upon us - I find myself thinking about things I'd like to do next year.
Getting back to fish Corrib is high on my list , but I would also like to try out some new Loughs , I have heard good things about Loughs Ree and Arrow .
A trip abroad with the lads for some fishing too maybe . I have enjoyed my previous Stillwater fishing trips to the UK so thats a possibility - or maybe somewhere in Europe, like Polands San River - or trout fishing in Iceland.
Anyone else on here hopeful about next year and planning anything ?:)
Or will it be more doom and gloom?:(

G
#3 ·
I try to be optimistic about life in general and I would hope that a successful Vaccine roll out will see a lifting of these Covid restrictions , allowing life to get back to somewhere near normal.
As 2020 comes to an end and with 2021 nearly upon us - I find myself thinking about things I'd like to do next year.
Getting back to fish Corrib is high on my list , but I would also like to try out some new Loughs , I have heard good things about Loughs Ree and Arrow .
A trip abroad with the lads for some fishing too maybe . I have enjoyed my previous Stillwater fishing trips to the UK so thats a possibility - or maybe somewhere in Europe, like Polands San River - or trout fishing in Iceland.
If your going to Arrow let me know as my brother in law lives almost on the shore.. And knows it well.. ?? I'd be happy to meet you for a cast as well..

#7 ·
I fished Arrow a few years ago, I just happened to be driving past it so I booked a lovely B&B on the shore. The lady who owned it lent me her boat it was a beautiful place. Unfortunately it was totally wrong weather, flat calm and bright sun, so didnt touch a fish but I know it's renowned for its mayfly season.
S.

#8 ·
Next year fishing wise, I’d like to:

Continue fishing the modest stretch of local river I’ve been enjoying this year.

Get far enough up the waiting list on my favourite local reservoir to become a member, if not then at least continue to be able to fish it on day tickets.

Manage the odd day trip fly fishing a bit further afield.

Have a holiday somewhere I can fish “traditionally” for wild brownies in upland lakes, something I’ve done very little of. Maybe in Wales, a country I’ve barely visited and never fished in.

Not very ambitious maybe, but within my limited means these days and I’ll be happy enough if I manage the first three. Events this year have demonstrated that nothing can be taken for granted......

G
#10 ·
Next year fishing wise, I'd like to:

Continue fishing the modest stretch of local river I've been enjoying this year.

Get far enough up the waiting list on my favourite local reservoir to become a member, if not then at least continue to be able to fish it on day tickets.

Manage the odd day trip fly fishing a bit further afield.

Have a holiday somewhere I can fish "traditionally" for wild brownies in upland lakes, something I've done very little of. Maybe in Wales, a country I've barely visited and never fished in.

Not very ambitious maybe, but within my limited means these days and I'll be happy enough if I manage the first three. Events this year have demonstrated that nothing can be taken for granted......
I hope you get all you have asked for.

#21 ·
Hopefully a trip to Vancouver Island for some salmon and steelhead fishing next September. I have some cousins living there and they're all avid outdoor enthusiasts. If I time it right, they've promised to throw in some Bucktail hunting as a bonus. Fingers crossed, we have an effective vaccine by then and we're back to some semblance of normality. ?

#35 ·
An optimistic thread to end the year - great idea! :)

First and foremost, I'd like to take some positives from this year. I have done b*gger all fishing and the two trips I had did not inspire me. Hoping for something different next year. However, the first lockdown in wonderful weather did allow a re-evaluation for many I hope of what is important. Apparently, only a small percentage of people want life to return to exactly what it was pre-Covid.

That said, next year is looking promising and with my wife giving up work at Christmas (not worth the risk as a part-time drama teacher) I'm looking forward to going away OUT OF THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER in our married life. Hoping to get to North Wales and my special mountain lakes where I can wrap a fly line around my neck without anyone seeing ;) If I can fool a couple of wild sub-pound brownies I'll be ecstatic.

#36 ·
Next year my main goal is to keep improving and exploring my home waters: there is about 20 miles that I can access and I must only have fished a fraction of that. I would also like to improve my euro nymphing: I am catching a few fish when I try this method, but I know I should be catching far more. I think I could do with a refresher lesson.

I will also try and get out on the Siur more this year if I can, I only got to fish it three times. Must also spend a bit more time on the Anner as it is near where I grew up.

G
#38 ·
I'm looking forward to a lockdown-free year in 2021 and getting my boat back on its berth on Corrib.

I'll almost certainly miss the early part of the season, as if things go to plan, I'll be having a knee replacement operation towards the end of February, beginning of March, but the minute I can drive the car again, I'll be down to my boat and out on the lake most afternoons. What a beautiful thought, imagining my boat cutting through a nice wee wave, in a south westerly breeze, on my way to my first drift. The anticipation is almost as good as the fishing. Almost.

And it'll be a bonus if the airlines start flying between Ireland and Australia again, as my wife will be able to use her air ticket at last, which she's had since April past, to visit our son his wife and our "new" twin granddaughters, who will be one year old next month. That also gives me a 6-week licence to do WTF I like. :D

#39 · (Edited)
A fella could do a lot of damage in 6 weeks :)

I had a bit of luck last week - my wife won a Kayak on a Facebook raffle by a new local Kayak shop.

I contacted them and they agreed to upgrade the Kayak to the Fishing Model . I can't wait to use it - might be handy on the Corrib to get into those difficult spots - the spots where all the Big Trout are.;):)

#46 ·
A couple of days trout fishing (with an overnight or two) on rivers I've yet to fish for trout: Annan, Upper Tees, Clyde.

Hoping our annual trip to Pitchroy on the Spey in May will be on next year - cancelled this year.

Just finally got my money back for cancelled June Islamorada/Florida trip for accommodation and flights but like Bob I'm wary of flying until vaccines really turn things around with Covid. Also, just hearing that Easy Jet are even going to charge for overhead luggage now I can see the airlines trying to recover losses incurred during Covid by all sorts of rip off tricks.

So might return to the Kyle of Tongue to fly fish for sea trout and bass in the estuary and brownies in the hill lochs and perhaps a second chance of dapping on Loch Hope - only caught finnock last time. Such a beautiful part of the world.

Mick

#57 ·
Ever hopeful! I had a trip to fish tenkara in the Italian Alp with Vito Rubino cancelled in July - the thought of a second attempt at the trip this summer is definitely keeping me going this winter!

#58 ·
Sean,

Write this down in big blood red capital letters because it is born of experience from travelling in BC. There is one thing the locals will tell you. "You must go and visit/see xxxxxxxx. It's not very far." Their version of not very far is something in the order of 300 miles! You hear that "It's not very far" and set the alarm!

The other thing is to watch your fuel, assuming you will be driving. Filling stations have a habit of being 200 miles apart. When the needle hits half a tank fill up at the next one you see.

The third thing to have handy is a small torch. This is to look up house numbers at night. BC has the weirdest system of numbering their houses I've ever seen and the street could be ten miles long in the first place. It is quite possible to have number 1421 and next door is 1490. What the hell happened to the other 79?

Have fun. If all goes well I'll go in 2022.

#65 ·
I would just like a repeat of 2020.I managed to salvage a great year from the lockdown..Only missing out on my week up north.But I still managed 8 Salmon on the Fly and had some tremendous trout fishing..I will try to get another week organised, but time is running short in many ways..Roll on the vacine.

Jim

#66 ·
As with Jim, I managed to salvage some good sport and good fish from after we were able to return in May to now. Chalkstream and small stillwater fly fishing, and also coarse fishing on still and running water. More of the same would be welcome next year. What I lost out on was reservoir bank fishing in the spring, which is something I look forward to each year. I did get out on a ressie in June and July, 1 trip each bank and boat. But while I caught a few fish, if honest I wasn't really on my game either time. So more reservoir fishing in 2021 please !

#67 ·
I had to cancel a trip to Avon/Vail Colorado with my best friend and we were both gutted. We hoped to do it next year however with reports of overcrowding on the rivers we are looking at a split trip taking in Missoula and Great Falls in late September, however with my eldest daughters wedding and my friends business being severely impacted by Covid we may need to reconsider in which case we'll look at Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

On a local basis I won't be re-joining SDFFA as I managed to get into Salisbury after being on the game waiting list for 5 yrs so I'll have new waters to explore. Other haunts will be Merthyr Tydfil waters on the Usk and Taff and more boat trips to Wimbleball and Blagdon if I can fit it in.

#86 ·
Yes, I had some using egg patterns but to confuse matters some guides differentiated such rainbows from young steelhead which had not yet made their first marine sojourn. They said they looked and behaved differently - having never fished for these species before and not being a fish biologist I couldn't say if they are different sub species. But they are lovely to connect with on light tackle.

BTW I had caught wild rainbows in the UK south of Bakewell in small tributary river in Derbyshire but they were no bigger than 1/2 lb - fin perfect as you would expect.

Mick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.