NEXTackle advance 9’ #2 - first real build

running bear

Evening all

I’m thinking about building this kit from BFC fly fishing. Has anyone any experience of this kit?

I’ve built some rods 30 years ago, shrimping rods from Avon blanks - although these were built to be purely functional (i used glass fibre resin on the whippings!), so bulletproof, but nasty. So I’ll be on here for lots of guidance and advice on whatever blank I choose.

Andrew

running bear

I've just ordered the 10ft 2wt LL nymph so fingers crossed.
Looks like these kits come with rings, seat, handle and blank. So I’ll need a winding check, thread, epoxy/glues?

So, If I were to buy the strippers co poly thread set (resin, adhesive and thread sealer) , a spool of whipping thread and a winding check to match the blank I’m more or less sorted for my first build?

I have a rod turner (fly dryer with attachment), brushes, blades etc.and will build a whipping jig.

running bear

Looks like these kits come with rings, seat, handle and blank. So I’ll need a winding check, thread, epoxy/glues?

So, If I were to buy the strippers co poly thread set (resin, adhesive and thread sealer) , a spool of whipping thread and a winding check to match the blank I’m more or less sorted for my first build?

I have a rod turner (fly dryer with attachment), brushes, blades etc.and will build a whipping jig.
I should add, I have hot melt for the tip ring, two part epoxy for the seat etc.

Lewis Chessman

Hi, running bear. You may find that the kit includes a black rubber winding check. All PacBay sets I've bought have one but they're basic things.
The trouble is that you need to know the blank diameter where a metal w/c is going to sit and to be pretty exact if you intend to replace it. You can get away with a little bit too large but if the w/c I.D. is too small you're stuck. If you want a metal one you'll need to measure with the reel seat and cork set on the blank, then send off for it, which takes time. You could get on with other sections while you wait, though.

If you buy a colour-preserved nylon thread you won't need thread sealer (though I appreciate it may come in the pack anyway).
I'd get a bottle of isopropyl alcohol from a chemists for cleaning up. A burnishing tool is useful - see recent thread for options.

If you can, get measuring pipettes from the chemist, too. The coploymer rec. mix is 1.5 mls + 0.6 mls (way more than enough for one rod coating) and you need to be quite precise in the measuring. The seller says there's some leeway but it's a pain if you find the last coat won't set hard.