Nicest looking reel

mackiia1

All ye needed was a Tipp man to sort ye out and now ye are flying!

I hope ye beat Limerick, I have an inexplicable dislike for them, maybe because every second handpass they give is a throw. Or because they are annoyingly talented
Yeah - Liam Cahill has introduced a level of belief ,controlled aggression and workrate that I haven't seen in a Waterford team before.
I always thought that we had very good players - just never enough belief and teamwork like the other Top teams have.
If we play like we did in the first half v the Cats , we will be beaten out the gate .
Play like we did in the 2nd half - then we have a chance of winning.
When limerick play at their best they are a very good team.
Should be a great game.

petevicar

For me some of the best looking reels are made by ROVER. I think they are wonderful pieces of engineering and I love to see pictures of them here on the forum.

I am not sure that I would buy one though as the sort of fishing that I do or used to do before the friendly virus appeared needed my reels to be work horses that could take a bashing and also have a very good easily adjustable brake.
I have Abel, Tibor, Mako, Charlton, Van Staal, Orvis, Hardy, Vossler and also other brands. Good heavens I feel like a (tackle) tart. They are all round and do the job. I would not say that they are particularly nice looking.

Pete

Hardrar

Some years ago I used this image as my Avatar on the forum . . .

View attachment 33075

It's a cropped image from a grayling dorsal, a fish that I caught from the Sava in Slovenia. Toby Merrigan, before he set up Funky Fly Tying, like the image and asked if he could use it. He did and had a small number of Abel 3Ns annodised with a section from the photo. I have one . . .

View attachment 33076
Would love that Graphic on a TR 2 pity not made any more.

Mrtrout

I saw a backwinder somewhere lately for around £600, can’t remember where! I’m planning on buying an Eden cane though and want something classic for it, some of the L.H. Design reels look like they’d fit the bill.
As an unapologetic brookie fan though.. my SDF! 😁
View attachment 33065

I really like the porting pattern on that Sean, a bit Ross like.
I think Ross and Abel have merged now?
S.

sean freeman

I really like the porting pattern on that Sean, a bit Ross like.
I think Ross and Abel have merged now?
S.
The SDF is a lovely looking reel in my opinion, fish graphics aren’t for everyone but even in standard black it looks good!

Ross, Abel and Airflo are all part of Mayfly Group now. Explains Airflo’s rebrand and I believe the Ross designers are having an input on the new yet to be released Airflo reels.

Mrtrout

The SDF is a lovely looking reel in my opinion, fish graphics aren’t for everyone but even in standard black it looks good!

Ross, Abel and Airflo are all part of Mayfly Group now. Explains Airflo’s rebrand and I believe the Ross designers are having an input on the new yet to be released Airflo reels.
I thought Ross were but that’s news to me about Airflo, thanks.
My friend has an Abel in grayling graphics which is rather nice.
S.

Hardrar

Hi Hardrar,

I'm not sure what reels you had, but the reel in my picture is an ARAS Turbo made by Ari't Hart in Holland. IThey were only ever made in one size, and they weren't anti-reverse...............
I bought two sets of Aras just like that, three sizes and they were one offs. Three were definitely AR I paid about £2000 or so quite a long time back, when he was making to order, they were finished with Red anodising highlights. The 1’s were tiny, pure collectors sets, but just the same as your picture.

Hardrar

I saw a backwinder somewhere lately for around £600, can’t remember where! I’m planning on buying an Eden cane though and want something classic for it, some of the L.H. Design reels look like they’d fit the bill.
As an unapologetic brookie fan though.. my SDF! 😁
View attachment 33065
Like the Zebrano spacer on the rod, I supplied some for my last rod build from Adam Rawson, makes a change from Burr woods.

sean freeman

Like the Zebrano spacer on the rod, I supplied some for my last rod build from Adam Rawson, makes a change from Burr woods.
Yeah it was just something a bit different! The rod is a Stickman P5, awesome bit of kit!
My Barclays probably have the most interesting reel seats out of anything I own.

D6B95F9B-C968-492C-B90A-8BDD42A1AEC3.jpeg

64FBF2D9-2BD4-4EF6-BE55-F54F06160630.jpeg

Hardrar

Yeah it was just something a bit different! The rod is a Stickman P5, awesome bit of kit!
My Barclays probably have the most interesting reel seats out of anything I own.

View attachment 33118

View attachment 33119
Similar idea as the quicksilver rods, flexes right down to the reel seat?
I’ve a few of those silicone bagged nets, but I’ve found fish jump out of them, they’re a little stiff in cold water and fish won’t settle like they do in a soft micro mesh net, Grayling seem to really dislike them for some reason.

sean freeman

Similar idea as the quicksilver rods, flexes right down to the reel seat?
I’ve a few of those silicone bagged nets, but I’ve found fish jump out of them, they’re a little stiff in cold water and fish won’t settle like they do in a soft micro mesh net, Grayling seem to really dislike them for some reason.
Yeah you can feel the action right into the grip. The Barclays have a lovely parabolic action.

I like the fine mesh net on my handypak net, the rubber netting on the Brodin has gone very stiff so I’m going to order a newer supple bag like the one on Fishpond nets or maybe like the one on my McLean weigh net.

micka

This has been a fascinating thread to read. And in reading it I'll confess my love for lovely tackle, rods and reels.

But can I ask when do fishing reels move from being a practical item of tackle to something akin to an 'objet d'art.'

I ask this because one poster above said "I would be scared of using that reel." I am lucky enough to have some very nice salmon (and trout) reels and any salmon anglers knows that when you are lucky enough to land a salmon you have to put your rod down there and then - on rock's, coarse gravel etc. which can compromise those lovely cosmetics - maybe not so dangerous for the trout angler - but then again.....

Rob will know better than anyone that boat fishing where target fish can strip you down to the backing means a good DD is pretty much essential (though many times we have to strip to stay in touch with lively fish). But the painted gravelly bottom of boats designed to stop the angler slipping is utterly unforgiving to nice reels.

Finally, could we have a bit of a confessional please. Have any of the lucky owners above when one of their new prized possession has arrived that day in the post (and I bet many keep saying to their better half each day - "has the post arrived yet?" suddenly before they retire to bed go to get that 'objet'd'art' to have a last little twiddle with it - perchance with the hope that they might sleep soundly and dream about said reel???

(BTW if anyone vehemently denies this I will still not believe them!)

Mick

Mrtrout

This has been a fascinating thread to read. And in reading it I'll confess my love for lovely tackle, rods and reels.

But can I ask when do fishing reels move from being a practical item of tackle to something akin to an 'objet d'art.'

I ask this because one poster above said "I would be scared of using that reel." I am lucky enough to have some very nice salmon (and trout) reels and any salmon anglers knows that when you are lucky enough to land a salmon you have to put your rod down there and then - on rock's, coarse gravel etc. which can compromise those lovely cosmetics - maybe not so dangerous for the trout angler - but then again.....

Rob will know better than anyone that boat fishing where target fish can strip you down to the backing means a good DD is pretty much essential (though many times we have to strip to stay in touch with lively fish). But the painted gravelly bottom of boats designed to stop the angler slipping is utterly unforgiving to nice reels.

Finally, could we have a bit of a confessional please. Have any of the lucky owners above when one of their new prized possession has arrived that day in the post (and I bet many keep saying to their better half each day - "has the post arrived yet?" suddenly before they retire to bed go to get that 'objet'd'art' to have a last little twiddle with it - perchance with the hope that they might sleep soundly and dream about said reel???

(BTW if anyone vehemently denies this I will still not believe them!)

Mick

I confess I did once buy an Ari 11 it was so beautiful I kept it on my bedside table so it was the first thing I saw in the morning.
Sad I know. :p
S.

running bear

Now you are talking. Simple standard arbor elegance, like a CFO, perfects, a made in England BBS, etc. A beautiful English rose, not these augmented, tarted up, heavily made over tramps, which belong in the Sunday sport (does it still exist?) or a lap dancing club.

micka

I confess I did once buy an Ari 11 it was so beautiful I kept it on my bedside table so it was the first thing I saw in the morning.
Sad I know. :p
S.
Not sad Steven but wonderfully human and many of us can empathise with it and have done the same or similar.

Mick

Latest posts