Nicest looking reel

boisker

I’m not into reels to collect and don’t like overly fussy design, marked up in brown trout or other such Abel colours... in fact apart from one platinum reel all of mine are black, the last thing I want when fishing is ‘bling’
probably my favourite owned reel is the guideline fario as mentioned above... bought as a pairing for a Stickman P5

shortcircuit

I like the classic look of the Orvis Battenkill

micka

For me some of the best looking reels are made by ROVER. I think they are wonderful pieces of engineering and I love to see pictures of them here on the forum.

I am not sure that I would buy one though as the sort of fishing that I do or used to do before the friendly virus appeared needed my reels to be work horses that could take a bashing and also have a very good easily adjustable brake.
I have Abel, Tibor, Mako, Charlton, Van Staal, Orvis, Hardy, Vossler and also other brands. Good heavens I feel like a (tackle) tart. They are all round and do the job. I would not say that they are particularly nice looking.

Pete
Pete - You are a tackle tart!!!

But pots and kettles - I should keep my mouth shut.

Mick

Last edited:

Jason 70

I like the classic look of the Orvis Battenkill

I use one of these and for price and the looks I can't fault it, they seem popular as they are out of stock regularly. I'm thinking about getting a Hardy Marquis LWT around Christmas time, but that's over twice the price of a Battenkill III. They share pretty much the same looks.

easker1

I have 2 Orvis Rocky mountain reels, mainly because I like the Cassette types these were made By BFR nice simple reels , easker1

shortcircuit

I use one of these and for price and the looks I can't fault it, they seem popular as they are out of stock regularly. I'm thinking about getting a Hardy Marquis LWT around Christmas time, but that's over twice the price of a Battenkill III. They share pretty much the same looks.

I think they look very similar, the Hardy is a bit more old-school looking I guess with the one of the sides being fully closed. I actually prefer the Battenkill for looks, I think it looks less drab.

roger h 10

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but what reels do we think are the nicest to look at?

ive just ordered a guideline fario which i think are lovely, recently looked at the hardy mtx-s which i thought was a beauty also.

so lets here the reels we are swooning over?
Lovely reel, just be careful if you take the spool off,there are 2 VERY small lugs which are nigh on invisible especially if there's any grease on them,these need to be lined up properly or the spool won't seat.

green man

I've just been down the same thought process. Bought a Duchess and a Marquis LWT, but then decided £500.00 was a lot for two reels, especially when - as you say - the Battenkill is only £100.00. So I cancelled my orders.

I ended up on eBay, buying a near-mint Hardy Ultralite #5 and spool for less than the Marquis. Quite light (3.7oz) and machined, with a lovely click and made in Alnwick, this was my first decent reel about 30 years or so ago, so it feels like being reunited with an old friend.

Still can't take my eyes off that little Duchess though.

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 15.16.40.png

(Not my photo.)

Mrtrout

I've just been down the same thought process. Bought a Duchess and a Marquis LWT, but then decided £500.00 was a lot for two reels, especially when - as you say - the Battenkill is only £100.00. So I cancelled my orders.

I ended up on eBay, buying a near-mint Hardy Ultralite #5 and spool for less than the Marquis. Quite light (3.7oz) and machined, with a lovely click and made in Alnwick, this was my first decent reel about 30 years or so ago, so it feels like being reunited with an old friend.

View attachment 33137

(Not my photo.)

which Hardy Ultrelite was it Kevin?
S.

green man

which Hardy Ultrelite was it Kevin?
S.

It was like the one in the photo, Steven - the matt black Ultralite Disc #5 from about 1990. I sold mine about ten years ago for £85.00... silly me, but I think I was after my first Abel at the time. They're on eBay now for about £225.00. I figured if I bought one with a spare spool it wouldn't feel like I was losing as much. Plus, I'd already saved money by not buying a Duchess and a Marquis LWT. I admit, it's scraping the barrel of logic!

Jason 70

View attachment 33137

(Not my photo.)

Nice looker.

I've got some vouchers so it's not costing my hard-earned, but I'm still undecided. The Hardy? Or another Battenkill, then I'm able to get a Reddington for my Pike rod and just waste the rest on sundries.:) Plenty of time to have a think.

Hardrar

This has been a fascinating thread to read. And in reading it I'll confess my love for lovely tackle, rods and reels.

But can I ask when do fishing reels move from being a practical item of tackle to something akin to an 'objet d'art.'

I ask this because one poster above said "I would be scared of using that reel." I am lucky enough to have some very nice salmon (and trout) reels and any salmon anglers knows that when you are lucky enough to land a salmon you have to put your rod down there and then - on rock's, coarse gravel etc. which can compromise those lovely cosmetics - maybe not so dangerous for the trout angler - but then again.....

Rob will know better than anyone that boat fishing where target fish can strip you down to the backing means a good DD is pretty much essential (though many times we have to strip to stay in touch with lively fish). But the painted gravelly bottom of boats designed to stop the angler slipping is utterly unforgiving to nice reels.

Finally, could we have a bit of a confessional please. Have any of the lucky owners above when one of their new prized possession has arrived that day in the post (and I bet many keep saying to their better half each day - "has the post arrived yet?" suddenly before they retire to bed go to get that 'objet'd'art' to have a last little twiddle with it - perchance with the hope that they might sleep soundly and dream about said reel???

(BTW if anyone vehemently denies this I will still not believe them!)

Mick
Guilty as charged M’lud!

On the disc drag issue- this is interesting too!
In the US, most of the steelhead anglers will only use a click and pawl reel!! Bearing in mind a Steel head is acknowledged as the hardest, fastest running freshwater fish. Why?? Because the more resistance they feel the harder and faster they run, which results in break offs snags etc Rainbows behave similarly. I’ve landed plenty of 20 plus rainbows on Youngs Sharps Penn and Hardy click and Pawl reels Back in the 80s

On another tangent as Orvis Battenkill reels, easily outsold every other reel made, several times over, I do have a collection of Battenkill BBS reels in 2, 3 and 4 sizes. These have never let me down, look great and hold their value very well, but why oh why did they stop producing them??
As sales were not far behind the Battenkill and are still in very high demand second hand.
If they started production again today they would still sell extremely well!

Hardrar

Lovely reels, but Orvis did well to remove the plastic clicker that was found in the BBS. I had two snap on me during colder weather.
Mine are the English made ones and they are some sort of rubber, done thousands of wind ins, still like new, maybe the Chinese ones were not so good?

micka

Guilty as charged M’lud!

In the US, most of the steelhead anglers will only use a click and pawl reel!! Bearing in mind a Steel head is acknowledged as the hardest, fastest running freshwater fish. Why?? Because the more resistance they feel the harder and faster they run, which results in break offs snags etc Rainbows behave similarly. I’ve landed plenty of 20 plus rainbows on Youngs Sharps Penn and Hardy click and Pawl reels Back in the 80s

On another tangent as Orvis Battenkill reels, easily outsold every other reel made, several times over, I do have a collection of Battenkill BBS reels in 2, 3 and 4 sizes. These have never let me down, look great and hold their value very well, but why oh why did they stop producing them??
As sales were not far behind the Battenkill and are still in very high demand second hand.

I have several of the original Battenkills in trout sizes - were they made by BFR? I know the CFO's were originally made by Hardy - now made by Abel.

Mick

running bear

I like the classic look of the Orvis Battenk
Guilty as charged M’lud!

Agreed, the BBS’ are great reels. My fav reels for 3 and 4 weights, I’ve six but would gladly buy another six if they were back in production, and I pick up spools and reels now and again on eBay.

I’ve a few of the newer click and pawls but they aren’t in the same league, I’ll off load them all when I get enough BBS sources second hand.
Similar to the original battenkill mid drag, the reels that have followed just aren’t as good, either in machining, looks or performance.

Hardrar

I have several of the original Battenkills in trout sizes - were they made by BFR? I know the CFO's were originally made by Hardy - now made by Abel.

Mick
Yes made by BFR, Abel isn’t just quite the same and now Airflo are involved I really hope their customer service remains as good!
I scored a really early BG 0 a week or two back that needs parts to convert to LHW and they couldn’t be more helpful, they always are and were interested in the serial number.

sean freeman

Yes made by BFR, Abel isn’t just quite the same and now Airflo are involved I really hope their customer service remains as good!
I scored a really early BG 0 a week or two back that needs parts to convert to LHW and they couldn’t be more helpful, they always are and were interested in the serial number.
After owning a few different CFO’s I’d say the Abel made reel was the best made, lovely machining and anodising! Really regret selling my two.

Mayfly group own Abel and Ross with Airflo being the latest acquisition, if anything they’ll take Airflo to new heights and have plans for a U.K. service centre for Abel and Ross reels. Excited to see what they come out with, I know the Ross lads have had a design input on forthcoming Airflo reels.