Nicest looking reel

micka

I often like to look at this site for tackle. Some nice reels and some at sale prices:

Mick

sean freeman

I’ve just sent this off to John Mackenzie for preservation. It’s in a very bad state of repair and without treatment the oxidation will just cause it to fall apart. It will be a sympathetic restoration in an attempt to keep it fully original. The agate is what makes it special, cracked unfortunately!

B038435B-2C45-442A-AD98-63542BE233E6.jpeg

28DA769C-111E-4522-AAFC-9B88512C6126.jpeg

streams

I must be a heathen I don't see fly reels like most of you do I use two Daiwa lexa reels and one danielsson dry fly all do a great job look ok maybe the danielsson has the edge over the lexas

Hardrar

I must be a heathen I don't see fly reels like most of you do I use two Daiwa lexa reels and one danielsson dry fly all do a great job look ok maybe the danielsson has the edge over the lexas
I collect them, but they all get used, there are members on here with 300 plus reels, it’s a bit like having a nice wardrobe of clothes to choose from, some days it’s an Ari’ others an Abel or a Morrit, Vosseler, Islander or Finnor.

paulfish_1

Excellent thread this one! I’m am really really fussy when I’m buying a reel. I want it black or at least not too bling and shiny. I want it to be a workhorse that’ll last me years. I don’t want over engineering on it. I also prefer a classic look. My still water trout reels tend to have been cassettes like BFR and Orvis clearwaters. Price of spools and the amount of lines I carry dictate this. Same applies to my pike reels.

When it comes to rivers and other species I’ve bought and sold a fair few reels over the years. Nothing stupidly high end as I’ve never been able to justify £500+ on a reel.
I have drifted between click pawl and different drags but it’s not really a deal breaker either way for me.

Reels I’ve loved....
Original Orvis battenkill LA made in England. (Should never have sold this yin)
Vosseler DC 2
Battenkill disc
Sage click
Old Marquis #5
I am currently using a Danielsson dry fly for my #5 river stuff. Bought it not long ago and I’ve got to say I love it. Right up my street and delighted with the purchase. I’ll be investing in a FW next year for my sea troot fishing.

Some I’ve hated....

Greys GRX
Lamson Liquid
Another model lamson I can’t remember. Lightweight and made of cardboard!

The wish list.....

I have always fancied a custom Abel.
For the salmon I’d like a loop classic or one from Murray Stewart.

Tight lines
Paul

shortcircuit

On the disc drag issue- this is interesting too!
In the US, most of the steelhead anglers will only use a click and pawl reel!! Bearing in mind a Steel head is acknowledged as the hardest, fastest running freshwater fish. Why?? Because the more resistance they feel the harder and faster they run, which results in break offs snags etc
I always thought that the reason click and pawl was preferred was because disc drag reels would be prone to freezing up. Most steelheading takes place in foul weather, particularly the Great Lakes steelhead fishing, which would have below freezing temperatures a lot of the time.

Unless you have a fully sealed drag of course, but that is serious cash.

ohanzee

I want one reel that I can use day in day out and switch spools in seconds, drop, scrape, stand on, and still function perfectly, hold line without coiling and control fish with drag and rim, and after all that...still be the most minimal tribute to functional engineering I can afford, I'd pick one of these over anything on the market today.....

download.jpg

Gdog

I collect them, but they all get used, there are members on here with 300 plus reels, it’s a bit like having a nice wardrobe of clothes to choose from, some days it’s an Ari’ others an Abel or a Morrit, Vosseler, Islander or Finnor.

Some people must be minted to own that many reels, I only ever owned 5 or 6, mind you that's crept up to 12 now, still got a long way to go.

Last edited:

running bear

Some people must be minted to own that many reels, I only ever owned 5 or 6, mind you that's crept up to 12 now, still got a long way to go.
You don’t need to be minted, see process below
1. Can you access ebay?
2. Do you like a drink?
3. Can you log into eBay when you’ve had a drink?
3. Do you have an alternative address you can get purchases delivered to?
4. Is your partner lacking knowledge with respect to fishing tackle premium brands? ‘What, this old Lamson/Hardy/Sage/Abel/custom build?’
5. Do you have a bank account or credit card that your partner doesn’t know about? (They have one btw).
6. If you’ve answered yes to all those questions, you too can be the proud owner of loads of expensive line holders. Ironically the more you own, the less they are used and the more you preserve them, hence keeping their value. A wise man once said, ‘You’ve got to speculate to accumulate’.

sean freeman

You don’t need to be minted, see process below
1. Can you access ebay?
2. Do you like a drink?
3. Can you log into eBay when you’ve had a drink?
3. Do you have an alternative address you can get purchases delivered to?
4. Is your partner lacking knowledge with respect to fishing tackle premium brands? ‘What, this old Lamson/Hardy/Sage/Abel/custom build?’
5. Do you have a bank account or credit card that your partner doesn’t know about? (They have one btw).
6. If you’ve answered yes to all those questions, you too can be the proud owner of loads of expensive line holders. Ironically the more you own, the less they are used and the more you preserve them, hence keeping their value. A wise man once said, ‘You’ve got to speculate to accumulate’.
You’ve nailed my buying process, the realisation that hits in the morning when you’ve spent a fortune on a reel and now have to work out how to hide it is priceless. I have that much tackle that she doesn’t know what’s new and what’s old now though!

running bear

You’ve nailed my buying process, the realisation that hits in the morning when you’ve spent a fortune on a reel and now have to work out how to hide it is priceless. I have that much tackle that she doesn’t know what’s
Thankfully my missus doesn’t care that much what I spend money on (as long as it’s not something 20 years younger) but yes, sometimes I wake up after a few and think ‘one yes, but wtf did I buy two?’

Dingbat

All ye needed was a Tipp man to sort ye out and now ye are flying!

I hope ye beat Limerick, I have an inexplicable dislike for them, maybe because every second handpass they give is a throw. Or because they are annoyingly talented

Covid be dammed - off to Kennedys on Sunday to cheer Limerick to glorious victory.

Latest posts