Fly Fishing Forum banner

Nicest looking reel

21K views 170 replies 42 participants last post by  Mrtrout 
#1 ·
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but what reels do we think are the nicest to look at?

ive just ordered a guideline fario which i think are lovely, recently looked at the hardy mtx-s which i thought was a beauty also.

so lets here the reels we are swooning over?

#5 ·
Nice reels the Farrios especially the 4-6 model but overpriced IMO
I still swoon over my Sage 3540/4540s but not made anymore.
For current reels the FWDD is pleasant.
S.
was the 4-6 i bought in anthracite, yip the fwdd are nice i have a few, i also like my asr and the other ultralites.

always wondered why the other high end makers didnt make many cassette reels like the asr.

#27 ·
I saw a backwinder somewhere lately for around £600, can't remember where! I'm planning on buying an Eden cane though and want something classic for it, some of the L.H. Design reels look like they'd fit the bill.
As an unapologetic brookie fan though.. my SDF! ?
View attachment 33065
I had a new in the box Backwinder in silver, I sold it on eBay for £225!!
Wish I'd kept it now.
S.

#28 ·
Don't think I have one- I have two very early Abels, a baby big game 0 first week of production and a TR 1 the same, love both. An Ari 2 but the Remco are nice, I have a Kaplun built Hardy Marksman in the Matt finish bearings are still silky smooth, but have ceramic sealed replacements.
Kaplun Highlanders are stunning. early Loop karpens are nice, have a Loop 2 produced in the first week of production.
I like all the original Vosseler DC and RC reels
Wood Material property Fishing reel Electric blue Strap

#29 ·
Don't think I have one- I have two very early Abels, a baby big game 0 first week of production and a TR 1 the same, love both. An Ari 2 but the Remco are nice, I have a Kaplun built Hardy Marksman in the Matt finish bearings are still silky smooth, but have ceramic sealed replacements.
Kaplun Highlanders are stunning. early Loop karpens are nice, have a Loop 2 produced in the first week of production.
I like all the original Vosseler DC and RC reels View attachment 33066
Ive just got hold of another new RC2 from eBay last week, due tomorrow I hope, I'm going to try again to like it, they are pretty.
It was on all week no bids and I got it at starting price when I bid in the last ten seconds? I was very surprised.
S.

#38 · (Edited)
Some years ago I used this image as my Avatar on the forum . . .

It's a cropped image from a grayling dorsal, a fish that I caught from the Sava in Slovenia. Toby Merrigan, before he set up Funky Fly Tying, liked the image and asked if he could use it. He did and had a small number of Abel 3Ns annodised with a section from the photo. I have one . . .

Abel 3N.jpg

#43 ·
Some years ago I used this image as my Avatar on the forum . . .

View attachment 33075

It's a cropped image from a grayling dorsal, a fish that I caught from the Sava in Slovenia. Toby Merrigan, before he set up Funky Fly Tying, like the image and asked if he could use it. He did and had a small number of Abel 3Ns annodised with a section from the photo. I have one . . .

View attachment 33076
Would love that Graphic on a TR 2 pity not made any more.

#42 ·
For me some of the best looking reels are made by ROVER. I think they are wonderful pieces of engineering and I love to see pictures of them here on the forum.

I am not sure that I would buy one though as the sort of fishing that I do or used to do before the friendly virus appeared needed my reels to be work horses that could take a bashing and also have a very good easily adjustable brake.
I have Abel, Tibor, Mako, Charlton, Van Staal, Orvis, Hardy, Vossler and also other brands. Good heavens I feel like a (tackle) tart. They are all round and do the job. I would not say that they are particularly nice looking.

Pete

This post has been deleted
#56 ·
This has been a fascinating thread to read. And in reading it I'll confess my love for lovely tackle, rods and reels.

But can I ask when do fishing reels move from being a practical item of tackle to something akin to an 'objet d'art.'

I ask this because one poster above said "I would be scared of using that reel." I am lucky enough to have some very nice salmon (and trout) reels and any salmon anglers knows that when you are lucky enough to land a salmon you have to put your rod down there and then - on rock's, coarse gravel etc. which can compromise those lovely cosmetics - maybe not so dangerous for the trout angler - but then again.....

Rob will know better than anyone that boat fishing where target fish can strip you down to the backing means a good DD is pretty much essential (though many times we have to strip to stay in touch with lively fish). But the painted gravelly bottom of boats designed to stop the angler slipping is utterly unforgiving to nice reels.

Finally, could we have a bit of a confessional please. Have any of the lucky owners above when one of their new prized possession has arrived that day in the post (and I bet many keep saying to their better half each day - "has the post arrived yet?" suddenly before they retire to bed go to get that 'objet'd'art' to have a last little twiddle with it - perchance with the hope that they might sleep soundly and dream about said reel???

(BTW if anyone vehemently denies this I will still not believe them!)

Mick

#61 ·
I'm not into reels to collect and don't like overly fussy design, marked up in brown trout or other such Abel colours... in fact apart from one platinum reel all of mine are black, the last thing I want when fishing is 'bling'
probably my favourite owned reel is the guideline fario as mentioned above... bought as a pairing for a Stickman P5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.