Nightmare days fishing!

JobberDun

I went to Norton Fishery today for a catch and release session.

The weather was not that good, but I took the chance to get out fishing just in case I have to stay indoors and start tying my own flies!

The place was very busy, so it seems people had the same idea as me.

It was windy for me (still new to fly fishing) but I made the effort.

Well, it turned into a nightmare session!!!

Seeing as the sun was very bright I decided to fish on the bottom.

After one hour I got a brown trout, but I foul hooked it. Not certain if it has a go at my fly or it was just unlucky!

And that was it for the day, not another touch all day.

I only saw one other person catch a fish all day, and there were eleven of us at one time fishing.

I started on the bottom, then went midwater, then fished a dry fly with a buzzer underneath. Finally, I tried lures.

Lately, I have been doing really well on this water, but today was a real shock.

What also doesn't help is building fishing platform with scaffolding poles and decking boards. I lost count of how many times my line went around the scaffolding poles or stuck between the decking boards.

Another moan, why have a trout fishery and have trees\bushes next to the fishing platforms! Again, I lost count of how many times I had to retrieve my flies from them!

Hopefully, that will be my bad day for this year.

Russ

Last edited:

PaulD

Another moan, why have a trout fishery and have trees\bushes next to the fishing platforms! Again, I lost count of how many times I had to retrieve my flies from them!

Hopefully, that will be my bad day for this year.

Russ
May I suggest you give fishing rivers a miss. (y)

wobbly face

Sounds a bum day for you Jobber Dun but that's fishing! As a rule trees don't move unless it's windy. They give protection to a water and provide food for the trout with insects that get blown in the water. They also help disguise the angler, always check behind you before casting and practice makes ..... nearly perfect. Platforms stop the banking getting eroded by feet. Granted they could be better and some have chicken wire over them to stop you slipping when wet, chicken wire is great at destroying a fly line....... get and use a line tray.
As to the poor fishing, could just have been too many anglers creating too much disturbance. As for false hooking the brown, it happens but at least it pulled your string. Your next outing could be a red letter day.

easker1

After Boris's speech to night I would make the most of what you had, it looks like it will be a long time before you get out again, easker1