Nippers

Tangled

I used nail clippers for 30 years, they do the job and cost nothing.

But I dumped my last one in the Rio Grande, went a bit mad and bought this - it's excellent. It's 420 stainless steel has a zinger that has a 1m tape measure instead of wire, an eye cleaner, hook sharpener and nail knot tool. And a clipper. £14.

BobP

I'm going to remind those people who defend the £85 for line snips about this next time the price of rods/reels/fly lines whether or not Rio comes up and those self-same people will be condemning those who choose to spend a few quid on the aforementioned. I seem to remember saying people were not obliged to spend £100+ on a Rio fly line and got a heap of abuse for it.

sculpin_crusader

I believe the main issue was the cost of a line that may only last one year. I’m pretty certain no one would want to be buying Abel nippers for £85 if they lasted one year; they are built to last a lifetime, or until you lose them.

sean freeman

Doubt you’ll find many lost ones as the majority wear them on a lanyard, I bought the Abel lanyard as I’m a super tart but any would do the job. I think I paid around £70 for my fish graphic ones when the exchange rate was favourable. Bought them and a Ross Evolution LT for effectively half price. 👍🏻

Those days are long gone and now we pay through the nose because we the people decided to **** our economy in the name of freedom.

original cormorant

Doubt you’ll find many lost ones as the majority wear them on a lanyard, I bought the Abel lanyard as I’m a super tart but any would do the job. I think I paid around £70 for my fish graphic ones when the exchange rate was favourable. Bought them and a Ross Evolution LT for effectively half price. 👍🏻

Those days are long gone and now we pay through the nose because we the people decided to **** our economy in the name of freedom.
£186 for a pretty one with a lanyard now!

Hardrar

I like the Fishpond ones as good as anything, I’ve used.

The flat replaceable blades can be re-sharpened and there is no overhang to obstruct your view When clipping off.

delray

I used nail clippers for 30 years, they do the job and cost nothing.

But I dumped my last one in the Rio Grande, went a bit mad and bought this - it's excellent. It's 420 stainless steel has a zinger that has a 1m tape measure instead of wire, an eye cleaner, hook sharpener and nail knot tool. And a clipper. £14.

And just below the item is a link to a copy, maybe, £10 for 2 incl 2 zingers! Look similar, I wonder.

sunshine

I‘ll stick with my C&F 3 in 1 clipper. Although it’s a blade to anvil clipper, it works well enough for me. The hook eye cleaner (a.k.a. needle) is positioned well enough, and the (detachable) fly threader is a life saver when trying to thread a #20 fly in less than perfect light. Comes with replacement blades.

Last edited:

Cam

I bought a pair of Abel nippers a few years ago, with the lanyard. At the time they were not cheap.

Sportfish did not have the colour I originally ordered so offered me any other colour. I didn't want to appear greedy so went for a solid red colour (they were more expensive than my original choice, but not as expensive as the fish scale versions)

They are now very expensive to buy.

Mine hang around my neck on the lanyard, if the lanyard were to snap they would fall down into my waders. They do cut well and have held their edge, they are invaluable for smaller flies and failing eyesight.

Would I buy them again? Probably, but hopefully when they were on offer !!:D

Hardrar

I carry three, just in case I lose one or the other malfunctions! Fishpond C & F and Hardys.

An old friend of mine used to always use his teeth! He could catch fish all day in any water with the most basic of gear! He used to win Matches everywhere :-Sea Coarse and Game, had the magic touch, was a master, he would rock up with an ancient 13’ glass rod + Mitchell 300 and get drawn next to the sponsored guy with the 4+ grand Shimano pole and proceed to outfish him 10:1 !

markemark21

I'm soo tempted aswell to get some Abel nips but that price though!
And nearly got the orvis on offer the other day with £25 discount code but brought a cap and drying patch instead lol

Hardrar

I'm soo tempted aswell to get some Abel nips but that price though!
And nearly got the orvis on offer the other day with £25 discount code but brought a cap and drying patch instead lol

I prefer the fishpond nips, as they have removable blades that can be sharpened and nothing protrudes beyond the flat blades. Do easier time see where you are cutting.

markemark21

I prefer the fishpond nips, as they have removable blades that can be sharpened and nothing protrudes beyond the flat blades. Do easier time see where you are cutting.
I have to say I'm a fishpond fan so I'll check them out

markemark21

adchoices.png

Uttings and fishing mega store usually have them?

Thank you