Non Fishing look at Harlaw and Threipmuir Reservoirs near Balerno 23/09/21

craigluscar

Took myself across the water to have a look at these two fishing reservoirs The more accessible is Harlaw .The car park is about a hundred yards from the bailiffs hut . Like most waters with the warm weather catches have been down but the bailiff was saying it has started to pick up with the cooler weather in fact an angler just on with his second cast was into a good fish ,I told the bailiff the lad would lose it shortly as he was leaving an amount of slack he walked along to his net and handed his rod to his pal while he put up the net the line went completely slack and the fish was off ! Fish were rising so it would not take him long to catch another . The permits are online only from Malleny. There are some nice stretches around the water and I could see 3 fishing from where I was standing . It would seem to be a well run fishery . Threipmuir is a much larger water altogether in fact the walk from the car park at the west end is well over 400 yards not the sort of walk at my age that I fancy even with basic equipment . I did walk down to the dam at the west end and could see the water is down about 5 feet. On the west side of the dam The Bavelaw Marsh runs into the main reservoir. Both reservoirs are bank fishing only but I did see a boat on Threipmuir . Malleny own the rights on the North shore so I presume the boat came from the south shore I would say the loch is tailor made for boat fishing and would be a good asset to the fishing fraternity

scobo

Fished Threipmuir a few times in the 80's.
It was very dour back then but there were some cracking brownies in it.
Harlaw was a bit easier with the rainbows.