Non traditional methods

silverleapers

What a wonderful read! Reminds me of the things we are doing here in NL, Canada. Atlantic salmon are just another trout.

Have you tried "bombing" them yet? To do this we soak an appropriately sized bomber in heavy Mucelin paste so that it is heavy but floats like a cork. Then one can do tucked type casts so that the fly lands with a smack onto the water surface but it still is on a slack leader after it lands. If you hit the fish right on the head with the heavy dry fly repeatedly it will often make a savage take. This works on stale fish in warm water and fresh fish in cool water. Its hilarious. One guest called me the "lion tamer guide" as I was whipping the fish into submission! This is not a feeding response but rather a territorial response - I think.

Here is an article I wrote about sound and dry flies and how to use sound to help catch fish hiding behind ledges and rocks and blinded by sun , etc.
http://www.eurekaoutdoors.nf.ca/dryflies/2011_Presentations.pdf

Sound can be a critical tool used for hooking salmon.

Cheers;
Silverleapers

jeorge

Thanks for the article! I`m just coming back from Kola and i need some time to be ready to read it!
About sound- it is a detail of correct presentation! I observed many times how some anglers lost this very important detail of presentation- first sound of "bombing", that starts salmon interest to fly. A lot of casts trying to cast far and another mistakes. Not a cast - but presentation! First cast is very important from this position.

To me it is pleasant that last years I meet many fishers who do not put for itself aim to catch much and much. For them possibility to catch a salmon in different methods is interesting. This year group which set as the purpose to catch a salmon on a dry flies came again. Certainly, it was possible to argue on, whether the dry fly can be considered as the imitating. But the salmon attacked flies in a dead drift both on Chavanga and on Strelna river. Fish was both sea silver fresh and local, resident .
It is interesting that salmon fans of the nymph were especially successfull . Here too there were many questions, but the nymph has surpassed usual salmon techniques in productivity. I hope that I can prepare a material and show it here.

jeorge

Now I already easy concern catching of a salmon on the nymph. I can specially catch it on the nymph. But me still difficultly to change quickly a usual salmon bait for the small nymph. I do not have not enough mobility. My friends tried to change fly quickly if there are no attacks of fish. It helped us to catch some more fishes. In each good place it was possible to catch some more salmons, it is necessary to change a salmon fly for the nymph only. I applied the nymph with an orange body. But it has appeared that this colour is unessential. My friend Massimo successfully caught fishes on the verious nymphs. More often the presentation of the nymph was beyond a nymphing method . But the salmon pecked. Here is a photo of other nymph of olive colour also. It unequivocally has natural colour and a kind. It is interesting that fresh fishes came across. Our friend Antonio caught specially only on dry flies. It used a stimulator and bomber. Both resident fishes and fresh sea salmons showed Interest .Antonio caught so most fishes. On the statistican from the rivers Chavanga and Strelna he has caught 36 salmons and has lost 23

jeorge

Silverleapers! Very interesting article, thanks! I have just returned from fishing from Kolsky peninsula and I want to tell the following. Earlier, I paid attention to blow by a fly on a water at fishing white fish. At salmon fishing I noticed that fish attacks often at once as soon as thefly falls on water. But to throw a flyit is necessary purely. The salmon stops to react to a bait after several blows by a line on a water. First cast often happens the most important. If we correct a line position on water or we use false casts, interest of a salmon to a surface disappears quickly . I asked once my friend Richard about when does the salmon attacks a fly, on which second after cast? He answered that at once. As soon as fly falls on water. He was able to cast so without superfluous noise. During the periods when a water level low, to throw so that fish heard only a fly, it is very important. So was this year on Chavanga and on Strelna. So we need to change our casts and presentation, our tackles too.

Cast

Rising fish

Strike

Hooked

jeorge

Here you see the nymph with a tungsten head. I already mentioned it earlier, and now have found in old photos.
Here again a humpback salmon caught on such nymph in July. And initially I caught it salmons in the beginning of June in high but already warm water.
Feature of a fly- the small size for inactive fish, tungsten head for fly presentation on depth and accent of metal shine in a combination to a blood-red synthetic body.
Color is very popular among Chavanga river salmons.

Last edited:

jeorge

Next two fishes, pacific salmons -humpback, resident and silver were couched by nymph in Chavanga river, Kola.
Method of presentation - cast little upstream and across stream on a slack line, some seconds of dead drift for deeper presentation.
And after fly passed you downstream - gently stop it following by rod tip. Now fly will rise up and fish attacks it.

Last edited:

jeorge

Here you see photos of two other salmons which have been caught in the river Chavanga in July. Both fishes have been caught during grayling fishing. I caught on a wet fly simulating female sedge and in other picture - on a wet black fly, can simulate sedge or stone fly. I cast down stream and a little bit across on a current without considerable lateral drift. That isflies moved close to dead drift. Salmons took it at my first attempt.

---------- Post added at 06:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 AM ----------

Here you see photos of two other salmons which have been caught in the river Chavanga in July. Both fishes have been caught during grayling fishing. I caught on a wet fly simulating female sedge and in other picture - on a wet black fly, can simulate sedge or stone fly. I cast down stream and a little bit across on a current without considerable lateral drift. That flies moved close to dead drift. Salmons took it at my first attempt.

vasil

Two years ago, i used to enjoy my moments on Chavanga when i was fishing graylins on my wet and from time to time i had a decent salmon to interrupt :D
Jeorge thanks for posting info, well done

jeorge

This year I did not manage to use new nonconventional baits for catching of a salmon. But, probably, one supervision will appear useful to fans of catching of a salmon. We already spoke about bombers and other superficial baits. In the end of May I caught on the river Strelna. Some places in rocks are convenient for supervision and I have tried to use a usual fly of Shrimp type on a water surface. If to lift a fishing-rod tip upwards it is possible to leave only a fly on a surface. The leader and a tippet also should be held in air. A current or a wind pick up a fly and it slowly moves on a water surface, creating a wave or moustaches. Salmons rose from depth to 3-4 metres and attacked a fly. It is interesting that fishes attacked several times for one presentation. Character of the fly is not important. I did not use bomber or other floating bait. The main thing was to keep a fly by rod tip in a surface of water with slow movement.

Last edited:

jeorge

At the beginning of the season we had again some difficulties in salmon fishing. Perhaps this is due to the unusually warm and early spring. I decided to come back to the topic of non-standard methods of salmon fishing after our Austrian friend said he caught again salmon by grayling wet fly. He was engaged in fishing for grayling, trout for his scientific research. That's when I decided to pay attention to my camera. Here is the photo submitted content of fresh sea salmon stomach. The salmon was caught on 06 of June 2016 Chavanga River 11 kilometers up stream from the river mouth. The find suggests selective and intensive salmon nutrition at the time of insect hatch. The number of caddis pupae suggests prolonged and purposeful feeding of the fish. So, I think that sometimes it makes sense to change the usual technique of salmon fishing:).

micka

Absolutely superb thread - really thought-provoking. Thanks to all above for their fascinating contributions. As others have said keep them coming.

Mick

lhomme

It's so nice to see pictures again of Chavanga, jeorge, and Fabrizio is known to catch in any circumstances! He's got "culo d'oro", but there is only one "Big Balls"! :LOL: Give him and everybody else my regards and a big hug to you, your father, mother and "sleeping bear". Still love you guys! :love:

Last edited: