north country flies

whitehorses

im thinking of buying north country flies,yorkshires soft hackle tradition ,is it worth buying it has anyone read it

ackroyd

Is that Edmonds & Lee? Or Pritt? I have the latter and I consider it an excellent read. I'm almost certain that the former was recommended some time ago by Oliver Edwards and that is good enough for me. I have it in mind to buy a first edition sometime.

whitehorses

Is that Edmonds & Lee? Or Pritt? I have the latter and I consider it an excellent read. I'm almost certain that the former was recommended some time ago by Oliver Edwards and that is good enough for me. I have it in mind to buy a first edition sometime.
the author is robert smith published in 2015

LukeNZ

the author is robert smith published in 2015
It is an excellent book doobry. I highly recommend it. Every page is worth reading, you won’t put it down until you have got to the end. Very well written by a man who has the skill to do the proper research and put it all together in a very readable definitive reference work. Get Robert’s address and buy it direct - he will message and sign it for you, I am sure - if you ask nicely. Tell him I sent you 😉

Last edited:

grandad keith

It's a good reference book and for those interested in the history and origins of north country fly patterns. Robert has collated all works on the subject, put right some wrongs/errors.
If you look on you tube Robert is doing a series of tying videos of some of the flies in Pritt .

chidokan

Letters to a salmon fishers sons by chaytor also includes some early salmon patterns used on the Tees...

Mrtrout

I bought it last year from Robert Smith, £27, it’s a nice book Doobry you’ll enjoy it.
S.

whitehorses

I bought it last year from Robert Smith, £27, it’s a nice book Doobry you’ll enjoy it.
S.
thanks i already have it ,i was just stumped at the price of it on amazon ,obviously a typo there ,i havent read it fully yet but have glanced through it ,and cant wait to knuckle down with it on a cold wintery night

arkle

Agreed, but Mr.Smith came in for a lot of flack on here about it, not long after it was published, I think he left the forum after that. I got my copy, from Paul Morgan at the BFFI in 2015/6 where he was showing people the papers that were the inspiration for the book & VERY interesting they were to.