Northern Spain trout lakes

surfermike

Are there any organised fly fishing lakes that anyone would recommend in Northern Spain. Just taken up trout Stillwater fly fishing and am going to northern Spain in mid September. Should I take some gear and what are the best places and flies to use. Many thanks in advance.

easker1

Don't Know about lakes but the rivers are supposed to have decent trout in them , especially in the Picos de Europa quite a few lime stone ones, some even get a salmon run got no other info, there was a post some time back about this subject, easker1

sewinbasher

I've fished lakes in the Pyrenees but they were wild not "organised" and contained decent wild browns however I think the season ends in August for both lakes and rivers so you may need to check. I don't think there are any put and take fisheries which is no great loss as the wild fishing is superb.

empty creel

I been around the Navarone region quite a bit.

The Ebro is absolutely superb, a bit like the Test but slightly faster with ultra clear water.
The lakes are 'wild', trees and other snags are common, access is via tracks or on foot, the waters edge is often craggy rocks with deep water very close in.

All waters are patrolled regularly by Policia Foral 2man teams in red 4x4s, on one lake in the Irati they were making full circuits every 3-4hours.

A word of warning, the language isn't anything like Spanish but some of the Rangers speak English quite well.

If you like wild countryside you will love it.
Tip, take a pair of binoculars the birdlife is outstanding :thumbs:

Never saw a fishing shop anywhere except in Santander.

Any more just pm me.

Hope this helps. EC.

surfermike

Thanks for your replies will take some fly and sea spinning equipment with and see what turns up.

psmith

I'd fish the sea - if you look in the harbour you'll see loads of mullet and also stuff we don't get here.

The Picos are wild/remote, stiff climb down to a raging torrent, unless you had a guide I reckon it would be a waste of time, only driven through myself I must add.

If you were serious a bit of googling would uncover "fishing guides". I did such a trip once in Portugal. It was interesting, and all wild fish, but a typical evening would be eight browns to 12 ounces.

Our guide told us of early spring fish in the big river but I reckon they were sea trout kelts.

:eek:

daniport

Hi Surfermike,

I can only comment on the Catalan Pyrenees and more specifically the Lerida province as I am based here. You have a reservoir by the village "La Guingueta" in which they release trout on a regular basis. Its easy to reach and if you bring waders its easy to get about. There is pleanty of accomodation in local towns (Try Esterri D´anau or Hotel cases in La Guingueta). From there you can fish the rivers above and below the reservoir (careful below the reservoir as they release water each day for rafting.. before 11am ok and after 7pm ok)

The other choice you have are the lakes above Val Fosca.. these have wild brownies and Brook trout. You can get close to the lakes by car but then you have to walk to them.. quite a challenge if you are not fit!! but the fishing can be quite good although.

Pm me if you want more info.. if you are about the weekend of the 19th and want help let me know.

Regards

Daniport

ruud109

Hello,

Im Dutch and have been working and living in Barcelona for allmost 6 months now. I brought my fly fishing gear but find it hard to fly fish so far.
I have the Catalunya licence, but get lost with the "zona pesca controlada" stuff.

Dont want to hijack this thread, but there seem to be some folks that know their game here. Is there an easy way to understand which zonas are "zonas lliure" and how to get the addtitional licence for zona controlada? I know theres an online portal in Catalan but i get totally lost.

Though i am primarily a trout fisherman, i would also like to try my turn on black bass. Anyone done this in Catalunya?

Thanks
Ruud