Norvise Hook Size

webblade

I'm considering the Norvise. I have the Norvise Auto Bobbin and I love it. I use my rotary in every aspect of my tying and think the Norvise would be a good fit. I'd say 99% of my flies are tied on size 14 and 16 hooks unless I'm tying a streamer for winter fishing the lakes. I'm wondering about access to the size 16 hook when in the Norvise jaws. I know I can get the Fine point jaws but I think they look like they vibrate the vice more than the standard jaws but I may be corrected on this by those that have them. I seen Norm tie a size 20 on YouTube on the standard jaws but would like to hear the views of others on here that own the vice. Are the fine point jaws necessary for a size 16 hook?

senegals

Hi

I'm fairly new to fly tying and chose the Norvise after watching a few or norms videos and liked the concept.

I have Norvise with just the regular jaws and manage to tie down to size 16 but I am tempted to get the fine point jaws as I think they will give me greater access to tie tails at the back of the fly. I tend to just position the hook higher in the jaws to get around access.

The Norvise is a different concept in fly tying in that you use the rotary function to apply thread / materials but it still functions in the conventional manner if needed.

This is a fair review that is worth watching Global Flyfisher Nor Vise review

It a shame you are not local as you could have borrowed it for a couple of weeks to see how you got on with it.

Regards
Bob

webblade

Hi

I'm fairly new to fly tying and chose the Norvise after watching a few or norms videos and liked the concept.

I have Norvise with just the regular jaws and manage to tie down to size 16 but I am tempted to get the fine point jaws as I think they will give me greater access to tie tails at the back of the fly. I tend to just position the hook higher in the jaws to get around access.

The Norvise is a different concept in fly tying in that you use the rotary function to apply thread / materials but it still functions in the conventional manner if needed.

This is a fair review that is worth watching Global Flyfisher Nor Vise review

It a shame you are not local as you could have borrowed it for a couple of weeks to see how you got on with it.

Regards
Bob
Thanks Bob I appreciate the gesture. My heart is definitely set on the vice. Now its just a question of do I order the fine point jaws at the same time. I've seen them in action and it didn't look as smooth spinning as the standard jaws. I have a bonus coming next Wednesday so I will be ordering one from Phil at fly tying boutique. I see he does a base board with it for no extra charge.

icejohn

As people have already said it will be fine for the sizes you mentioned.

I had a conversation with norm a good few years ago now and he said that the pro tiers in usa that tie alot of size 20 or smaller bear in mind it's thousands of flies per year. Needed a new set of jaws once a year because the pressure needed on the jaws to surface area to hold a tiny hook is like 5 times that needed to hold a size 16.

webblade

Received my vise yesterday and tied a bunch of 14 and 16 nymphs on it. What an absolute pleasure to tie on I love it. You get a free base board if you order from Phil he has commissioned someone to make them for him and they're great quality. Haven't tied any curved hooks on it yet but if it becomes a problem with the standard jaws I'll have no quarrels forking out for the fine point I love this thing so much. I didn't find any learning curve with it i was flying after a few flies i don't know if that's because I've watched so many videos of it over the past few months or because I used the rotary feature on my old vise so much anyway. Delighted with it.