Not hooking

Bawnbrack

Frustrating time last night on a trout stream in the North of England.

Found a lovely glide of water with a conveyor belt of food coming down the middle.

Trout happily rising in the foam.

Tied on a small Klinkhammer and cast upstream to them.

Interest my fly on every cast - literally every cast.

But could I hook one? Nope.

Tried everything - striking sooner, striking later, not striking at all.

Eventually became convinced that the fish weren't attempting to ingest my fly but were slashing at it with their tales.

Am I going completely mad? Or is this a credible theory? And if so, what are they trying to do?

Apart from drive me to drink.

Many thanks in anticipation.

4wings

Perhaps a larger Klinkhamer fly? if you have tried everything else alter the size up or down or change for another type of fly.

Bawnbrack

Grayling a real possibility.

It's also possible that I am utterly incompetent.

Thanks all.

Tangled

You can't always tell the size of the fish by the size of rises or attempted takes but if the takes happen often enough you can eventually form a conclusion.

I remember casting at some rises hopefully but not touching anything despite many attempted takes. After a while I worked out that I wasn't casting to a couple or three rising trout I was casting to a couple of dozen! The penny only dropped when I dragged a fly back in frustration and it was grabbed by a tiny grayling. I was in Russia and didn't even know there were grayling in the river. They're lightening fast and despite trying a few different ideas just out of interest I couldn't catch another.

I was disappointed again the next day when I was fishing for salmon and caught a 3lb grayling, a fish I would have been overjoyed with the evening before. It's all about expectations I guess.