Not my usual thing.

splinters

Most of my rods are in bamboo but I needed (wanted) a spare for the boat. This is a ten foot four piece #5
Blank from Mick Bell, seat from Taniwha. Wraps are garnet silk with fine round gold trim.
#1.JPG1603742590849.jpeg#3.JPG#4.JPG
I ran out of Threadmaster Lite and had to change to Flexcoat. It seems less forgiving than the Threadmaster. Hard to keep the bubbles out and not very good at self leveling. Anyone else have trouble with it?
S.

Lewis Chessman

Masterful, Simon. which of Mick's blanks is it?
As for FlexCoat, I've been whinging about FC Lite for two years now. I'm just too stingy to throw the damned stuff out so keep using it! ;)
I've not had issues with bubbles but certainly have with self-levelling.

Whose gold trim is that? I like the width - is it one turn of a wide thread or several turns of fine?
Do you find that the metallic thread can separate from the cotton core to show a sort of spiral effect? It's a problem I've found if I pull too hard on the tag ends - which I sometimes do in trying to keep the entire whipping level. I'd have to check to see what thread I was using, though.

splinters

Masterful, Simon. which of Mick's blanks is it?
As for FlexCoat, I've been whinging about FC Lite for two years now. I'm just too stingy to throw the damned stuff out so keep using it! ;)
I've not had issues with bubbles but certainly have with self-levelling.

Whose gold trim is that? I like the width - is it one turn of a wide thread or several turns of fine?
Do you find that the metallic thread can separate from the cotton core to show a sort of spiral effect? It's a problem I've found if I pull too hard on the tag ends - which I sometimes do in trying to keep the entire whipping level. I'd have to check to see what thread I was using, though.
James, it's just fine round gold from my fly tying bench, Griffiths I think, or maybe Lureflash. It does unwind a bit doesn't it. I gave it a couple of anti cockwise twists to counteract the spiral effect as I wrapped it. That tightens it into a smaller profile as well. The hook keeper has two single wraps 'holding' it and the outer signature wrap has three single wraps in the middle. All others are two turns.
The blank is the xl50. I think I'll play with different dilutions of the Flexcoat to see if I can make it work better. If not what's left will go in the bin. I see from his videos Mick is using Novachem's 8002 lv medical potting and encaspulation resin. UV cured in seconds. Interesting stuff.
Simon.

Lewis Chessman

Thanks, Simon. The tip about counter-twisting the thread sounds ideal - I'll try it myself next time.
I have a Bloke-built XL50 9' 6'' #6 which is a nice medium-fast rod in the 'classical vein' (if one can say that about graphite!). I'm sure the 10 ft #5 will make a lovely boat rod with a fair bit of give in the tip and not too much resonance on casting.

Tbh, I didn't find adding IPA to the FC-L very helpful myself - maybe more likely to get bubbles? I don't recall it extending the work-life of the epoxy mix.
More important, I think, is keeping the mix warm to keep it thin and bubble-free. However, warming it does seem to me to cause it to cure quicker. It will thin a bit but gel faster after a reheating, in a process of declining returns.
If you use a pot-warmer and can keep the temp constant it may perform better than a flash-heating/cooling cycle.

I've yet to use Liphook's suggestion of chilling half of a mixed batch in the freezer while one works with the other half as I tend to get 15-20 mins work time per mix, but that may well be the best option.

glosterboy

It might be a spare but its a really nicely done.
I really struggle to get epoxy looking anywhere near as nice as that, I find varnish much easier to work with but its a lot slower.

JayP

That finish looks great and I love the wrap colour and trim, might do something similar on the XL 5# I've got waiting to be started, sage green with metallic copper trim might suit

As for Flex Coat GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR never got on with it and went to Threadmaster lite, but have ordered some Gen 4 finish as it seems to be getting glowing reviews across the pond

Latest posts