Nunwick, Red Tag & Eve's Fancy.

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
A set of three for the North Tyne and published in Kelson's Tips. The Nunwick named after Nunwick Hall the home of the Allgood family was originated by the Rev. James Allgood as was the Red Tag and the Eve's Fancy was originated by M. Eve Allgood. All tied at size 2/0.

Nunwick.

Tag
- oval silver tinsel and light blue floss.
Tail - GP topping and Indian Crow (substitute used).
Butt - Ostrich herl.
Body - two turns claret floss followed by scarlet and light blue Seal's fur in equal amounts.
Ribs - silver tinsel.
Hackle - light blue cock hackle from blue Seal's fur.
Throat - light blue cock hackle.
Wings - GP tippets in strands, Guinea Fowl (Gallina), Teal, grey Mallard, GP tail, Barred Woodduck, Goose dyed scarlet (two strips), Bronze Mallard & GP topping over.
Sides - Jungle Cock.

Red Tag.

Tag
- oval silver tinsel and scarlet floss.
Tail - Ibis (subbed with Goose dyed red), Barred Woodduck.
Butt - Ostrich herl.
Body - two turns of crimson floss followed by scarlet, crimson and light claret Seal's fur in equal sections.
Ribs - silver tinsel.
Throat - light red claret and light blue cock hackles respectively.
Wings - GP tippets, Guinea Fowl (Gallina), GP tail, grey Mallard, Goose dyed yellow, light blue & crimson, Bustard and Bronze Mallard.
Horns - blue Macaw (blue and red used here).

Eve's Fancy.

Tag
- oval silver tinsel & scarlet silk.
Tail - GP topping and Barred Woodduck.
Butt - Ostrich herl.
Body - two turns of medium blue floss followed by dark blue Seal's fur having a dark blue hackle along it.
Ribs - silver tinsel.
Throat - dark blue cock hackle.
Wings - four or five GP toppings (six used here).
Horns - red Macaw.

Meant to add that the Nunwick in the above pic is a slight variant where I added some claret Goose into the wing as well as the red Goose. The original Nunwick I tied is the one in the pic below.

Thanks for looking.

cheers

mark

Last edited:

baca157

Simply stunning Mark. How many toppings in that Eve’s Fancy?

Cheers,
Sebastian

baca157

Thanks Sebastian the dressing asked for four or five but I put six in which fills out the wing a little bit more and I'd expect a difficult fly to tie in the smaller sizes to get looking right at least.
Blimey! I struggle to get two toppings on top of each other, not to mention 6! Do you have a special method for doing this so they don’t go all over the place?

wingman

Blimey! I struggle to get two toppings on top of each other, not to mention 6! Do you have a special method for doing this so they don’t go all over the place?
Yes I use the whole of the topping crest without taking anything off it. Right at the end of the crest the stem is flat which reduces any twisting and turning that might happen if you say tied in the crest further down the stem (which is bulkier) i.e. stripping away some of the fibres and cutting the stem to reduce it's length. So primarily I select topping crests of numerous sizes and similar shape so that when tied in they elevate in length and create that nice tapered wing effect. So in essence this has at least two positives, one being the crest will be more stable at the tie in point and two it will create less bulk at the head keeping head size to a minimum. You can add cellire after each crest is tied in to avoid movement but I tend to find well waxed thread seems to keep things pretty much stable.

wingman

My daughter has just started to make things out of resin and I was telling her about the flies that you tie and how they'd look good in a key ring (y)
I've not actually seen very many fully dressed salmon flies set in resin Paul_B but I'm curious how well the various components would preserve. I've seen plenty of trout flies and feather wing salmon flies set in paperweights and they don't look to bad and in fact I have an Iron Blue Dun in a resin cube that a very kind forum member sent me and it looks very good. The fully dressed flies are best presented in frames I suppose to show them to their best but a key rings is certainly a nice idea. She should try some smaller flies first to see how she gets on. :) In fact I have a couple of flies she can play around with if you're interested, one a feather wing and t'other a married wing type.

Last edited:

Paul_B

I've not actually seen very many fully dressed salmon flies set in resin Paul_B but I'm curious how well the various components would preserve. I've seen plenty of trout flies and feather wing salmon flies set in paperweights and they don't look to bad and in fact I have an Iron Blue Dun in a resin cube that a very kind forum member sent me and it looks very good. The fully dressed flies are best presented in frames I suppose to show them to their best but a key rings is certainly a nice idea. She should try some smaller flies first to see how she gets on. :) In fact I have a couple of flies she can play around with if you're interested, one a feather wing and t'other a married wing type.
At the moment she's just concentrating on making home type signs with led lights and dried flowers but I'd like to take you up on the offer if or when she gets around to getting a key ring mould (y)

baca157

There are two “issues’ with setting flies like this in a resin. First is the the resin can mess up the wing a bit so have to be very careful when pouring it. Second issue is more serious - bright coloured materials lose much of their colour once the resin penetrates the fibres. Here is a photo of a wine bottle holder with few of my trout flies set in a resin. It was made by a friend of mine.
0C0A5081-14FF-4EE8-ABC2-A6A04B422FA1.jpeg

Staying all that, I would love to see a big classic salmon fly set in a resin.

Cheers,
Sebastian

wingman

There are two “issues’ with setting flies like this in a resin. First is the the resin can mess up the wing a bit so have to be very careful when pouring it. Second issue is more serious - bright coloured materials lose much of their colour once the resin penetrates the fibres. Here is a photo of a wine bottle holder with few of my trout flies set in a resin. It was made by a friend of mine.
View attachment 31754

Cheers,
Sebastian
Some good points there Sebastian and seems pretty logical on the face of it and the materials will be reflecting the light differently due to them being embedded in the resin. I would like to see some examples of fully dressed salmon flies that have been done just to give an idea of the difference it makes to the various materials like floss bodies etc. It sounds like it could be a delicate process to get it right though as you mention above.

Paul_B

View attachment 31754

Cheers,
Sebastian
I now fancy fly coasters for the fly desk, computer desk and the caravan 😍

baca157

Some good points there Sebastian and seems pretty logical on the face of it and the materials will be reflecting the light differently due to them being embedded in the resin. I would like to see some examples of fully dressed salmon flies that have been done just to give an idea of the difference it makes to the various materials like floss bodies etc. It sounds like it could be a delicate process to get it right though as you mention above.
I may do an experiment and send one of mine to him to try to set it in a resin in some of his things made of wood(y)

Cheers,
Sebastian

Latest posts