Nymph Rod recommendation pls

Bawnbrack

I fish small northern streams and am going to try my hand at euro nymphing for grayling.

I’ve been told that I need a 10ft 3 weight or thereabouts.

Now given I am a complete novice when it comes to euronymphing, can anyone recommend a rod that isn’t going to break the bank?

£100-200 range. Something I could whack onto EBay if we don’t get on 😂

b13rux

I fish a small midlands river, and the issue of the river is too small, a longer rod can be a bit unweildy. A 10ft sounds about right.

i use a guideline LPS 9’6” 2wt and it’s awesome, I paid £180 from GAW for it and haven’t looked back.

although I am going to build a custom 10’ 2wt.

I’ve also used a wychwood drift and for £100-£120 for the 10’ 3wt if you can find one in stock you really can’t go wrong 👍

daniport

I have the 10 foot 2 weight nano nymph from Maxcatch and have to say its a cracking rod for the price. Very light and plenty of back-bone. Handles trout to 3-4lbs and has the soft tip to protect light tippet. At £102 its a bargain.

jaybeegee

Shakespeare aglity 2 .10ft 3 wt is a decent rod if you can still find one.
Great rod that, I sold mine and bought an Orvis Helios 2 which I couldn’t get on with at all, tried a Maxcatch then. Now I have a Snowbee Prestige which suits me better….not a patch on the Shakey though.
B

running bear

Great rod that, I sold mine and bought an Orvis Helios 2 which I couldn’t get on with at all, tried a Maxcatch then. Now I have a Snowbee Prestige which suits me better….not a patch on the Shakey though.
B
I went the opposite way, bought the very same shakey to give euronymphing a lash, couldnt get on with it. Sold it for the price of a pint, proper job actually, it was a good pint so still happy.
Then bought a prestige...omg what a difference, it was like night and day, even with the shiny reel seat.

Neither of us are right or wrong, but i see less consensus on nymph rods than anything else, which really shows that for such a feel discipline it really is a matter of individual taste.
But talk about 10' #7s and there's only arguments about good and great rods.

jaybeegee

I went the opposite way, bought the very same shakey to give euronymphing a lash, couldnt get on with it. Sold it for the price of a pint, proper job actually, it was a good pint so still happy.
Then bought a prestige...omg what a difference, it was like night and day, even with the shiny reel seat.

Neither of us are right or wrong, but i see less consensus on nymph rods than anything else, which really shows that for such a feel discipline it really is a matter of individual taste.
But talk about 10' #7s and there's only arguments about good and great rods.
I should perhaps have said for the money…the Snowbee is three or four times the price, but not in my opinion a very much better rod….except in colour scheme! 😁
B

bbamboo

First I had the aglity1,then purchased the newer aglity 2. I liked the aglity 2 better I must say. For the price they are a steal.

Overmiwadrers

My advice is any decent 3 or 2 wt . Depending on the river I am fishing I use a 7ft wt Hardy favourite , a sage 7ft 10 txl , 9ft 2wt hanak Czech nymph 4 , or a streamflex plus 9ft6 inch 3wt . It depends on the river width , tree cover etc etc

O M W

steve1968

There was a snowbee prestige 10’#3 that didn’t sell on eBay last night, keep an eye out as it might get relisted.
It’s not mine but I do have the GXS version an I can’t fault it .

shortcircuit

Shakespeare aglity 2 .10ft 3 wt is a decent rod if you can still find one.

I have one myself, they are nice, very slick finish on the rod for the money.
I think they are lacking a bit of feel compared to some higher end rods (unsurprising)
I fished a Marryat Tactical Pro Nymph once and it's an unreal rod

bbamboo

I have one myself, they are nice, very slick finish on the rod for the money.
I think they are lacking a bit of feel compared to some higher end rods (unsurprising)
I fished a Marryat Tactical Pro Nymph once and it's an unreal rod
Not used or seen one of those ,but Google shows a price of 450 so yes I would hope there is a difference.
👍

BlueFrog

My go to nymphing rod is a Greys StreamFlex 11ft 3*, it would take D8 & a chain to get me to part with it.
I've heard many comments on length, I find the 11ft a dream to use the extra foot the newer model brought has worked for me, in fact at times I would cherish a 12-13 ft.
I've a Snowbee Diamond 9ft 3* which to me is ideal for smaller rivers.
Just my 2p.

spotty herbert

My go to nymphing rod is a Greys StreamFlex 11ft 3*, it would take D8 & a chain to get me to part with it.
I've heard many comments on length, I find the 11ft a dream to use the extra foot the newer model brought has worked for me, in fact at times I would cherish a 12-13 ft.
I've a Snowbee Diamond 9ft 3* which to me is ideal for smaller rivers.
Just my 2p.

Are you using the greys 11ft #3 on a large rivers and the Snowbee 9ft #3 on small rivers / streams?

Cheers

Sean

dave b

Within your budget the two standout second hand rods for me are the Greys Streamflex and the Snowbee Prestige in a 10ft 3#. If you can get hold of a Streamflex plus 9ft 6in 3# its also a beautiful dry fly rod.

For smaller rivers and streams look no further than the Daiwa Lexa 8/9ft nymph special, its also a cracking little 8ft dry fly rod. The Snowbee Prestige 9ft 2# is also a beautiful rod if you can find one.

knoonan

I have a Sage ESN 10ft #2. It is a lovely rod but I hardly ever use it as I am a dry fly addict PM me if you are interested.

bbamboo

The way I see it is 10ft makes a very nice nymphing rod that can be pushed into use as a dry fly rod , perhaps not the best length for the latter but you can get used to it. A 9.6ft may be a better comprises if you fish the dry fly more than a nymph. It's a good length of rod if dry fly is your preferred method but you occasionally need to nymph.
For me 9ft is my go to dry fly rods perhaps the 9ft can double up on small streams for nymph and dry.

luddite

The way I see it is 10ft makes a very nice nymphing rod that can be pushed into use as a dry fly rod , perhaps not the best length for the latter but you can get used to it. A 9.6ft may be a better comprises if you fish the dry fly more than a nymph. It's a good length of rod if dry fly is your preferred method but you occasionally need to nymph.
For me 9ft is my go to dry fly rods perhaps the 9ft can double up on small streams for nymph and dry.
Agreed, well put.

Latest posts