Nymphs and dries - which 10ft rod?

green man

Edited:

I'm after a nymphing/Grayling rod to keep me going through the winter.

I was originally thinking I'd get a dedicated nymphing rod, but I'm no longer convinced that that's necessary for tight line nymphing. So, a 10ft 4wt general purpose nymph and dry fly rod would be more useful - to me - year-round.

I'll use it on small rivers to large streams.

I'm thinking Guideline Fario Classic, Orvis Clearwater - that sort of thing.

Suggestions welcome, new or used, in the region of £350.00.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Scotty Mitchell

How small is your river? I used to fish a small river and a 10’ rod was more a hindrance than a help. I used a 9’ for everything.
I only bought a 10’ when I started fishing the Tay more often.
Snowbee Prestige are superb rods for all rounders 👍 the last model can still be found at excellent prices.

Hardrar

I always found 10 foot rods a hindrance too and a strain on the wrist, I use shorter rods when Grayling bugging in Winter, but a heavier line to carry the Tungsten bugs, the line acts as an indicator, had three in half an hour over 2 pounds two Winters back. With a 10 foot rod on the overgrown banks I fish, where the Alders and Willows come right over the stream, an 8 foot is much better.
The Vision Graphene rods are the lightest to reduce wrist strain, if you want to reduce weight, but none of the Euro- Nymoh rods are much use for casting. They are more like Tenkara with a reel.
I feel rods like the Hanak, Greys and Orvis That have extra sections you can insert are far more versatile.

Last edited:

green man

Thanks guys. Food for thought... of which there'll be plenty during the next month!

I'm not going to be casting and stripping, it'll be czech/euro/high-stick (whatever you want to call it) nymphing. In which case, wouldn't a longer rod be an advantage... and at 45 degrees to the water, effectively shorter anyway?

Last edited:

Scotty Mitchell

Syndicate 10ft 2wt. Very good rod. I now use it for dries and French nymphing with a 2wt silk line. Don't even use a French leader as the silk doesn't sag. One of the most important developments for me in my fly fishing life.

Big words there Spider.........that good?

Spider

All accurate mate. I hated using shorter rods after the 10ft. It was a good season for me because I could fish different types of water up and down a river without re-rigging.

Spider

Scott, just to clarify, the silk makes the system. I happen to have the Syndicate though and like it.

Spider

Scott look no further than Peche a Soie. 15m lines is all u need, so it won't cost as much as a full line. They take a bit of time to soften out, but I caught a fish on my first cast with silk :)

Spider

I've never paid for my silk lines Scott, Santa takes care of that. Takes away the pain of paying about 70 quid for a fly line :). Remember to look after it right if u get one.

green man

I think I'll park this idea. I just read a review of my Sage Circa 8'9" 4wt and the guy uses it for nymphs as well as dries, so I'll try the same. His thesis is that the rod isn't just a dry fly rod.

Plus, my rivers are pretty small, many being more like 7'6" - 8' territory, so I'll set the money aside and keep a look-out for a shorter rod for next season... and maybe a salt-water rod... always fancied a bit of bass fishing on the fly.

Scotty Mitchell

That’s a sweet rod.
Of course a nymphing rod will nymph much more effectively, but you won’t find a nymphing rod that will touch a Circa once a line is through it, but you will catch fish nymphing with a Circa.
I think you have made the right choice.

swanlee

Syndicate 10ft 2wt. Very good rod. I now use it for dries and French nymphing with a 2wt silk line. Don't even use a French leader as the silk doesn't sag. One of the most important developments for me in my fly fishing life.
Hello, I'm currently tying to find a solution for quickly changing from a Czech/French/ nymph setup to casting a dry. Did you go for the level silk line or tapered? I've been using a Hends level nymph fly line, but its not great for casting a dry, do you think the silk line will be significant improvement? Cheers, Jon.

Spider

Jon I think the like I got was a 15m ST (single taper). It has a gentle taper but beyond that I'm not sure. I liked using a French leader for nymphs and silk for dries but hated swapping lines/spools and re-rigging. I tried a leader, about 16ft on it, and found I cud cast dry, but then just take the fly off and fish a bedhead. I had a built in 2x bicolour mono and it didn't disturb fish when dry fly fishing. Then I started using wax and removing it (when I wasn't lazy) for dries. The wax doesn't spook them on dries much, it's the line, and the wading and the false casting that scares them IMO. You can also use backing barrels, contact Rabmax, he knows his stuff on all this.

swanlee

Thanks for the reply. I've just seen the other post, where you talk about the revelation of using this setup. Another poster had put up the Howard Crosten video link up. I watched it, then youtube automatically plays the next video, where he's in his tying room/cave talking about nymph indicators. He's surrounded by some bright tying thread, amongst other fly fishing paraphernalia. I thought back to my coarse fishing days and thought some bright thread tied on the line might work. Tied on the same way as using a stopper knot for sliding waggler fishing. Anyway I just had to google what a backing barrel was and it's exactly the same as the idea I'd thought of only minutes earlier - same knot! I was thinking you could keep the tab ends on for extra visibility if required. I even was going to post my "new and original idea." Talk about reinventing the wheel!

Spider

Deffo, I think I got the idea from Howard Croston's composite leader, although that's not silk. I've liked silk from day one, although the sawing sound took a few sessions to get used to, but the line softened out (if that's the expression) soon enough. I was committed to leader to hand (Jeremy Lucas), but his line is useless in wind. I also liked Hends 9m leader. And I made my own line /long leader, which I would still use (Troutbitten). Silk suffers too in the wind too, like any line, but it's got a bit of zip that helps. So I had heard that it sagged too much for FN, but that's a load of sh1te. It's probably not as good as a proper French leader, but mine doesn't hang. I've always caught my share of trout, but this is allowing me to chop and change easily, and my lovely 4wt rods are seeing little action. When I changed to a 5wt one summers evening I definitely got more drag and my catch rate plummeted, although it was hard going that evening anyway to be fair. But I won't be swapping back to normal lines in a hurry, and silk plus very a long leader has moved into pole position for me now.

Troutbhoy

Spider, I have the Syndicate 10ft 2# and a JL 2 weight line & I love it but last year I took the plunge & bought a Phoenix silk fly line for my 3 weight glass rod & now I would find very hard to use another plastic line now but I would love to get another one in a 2 weight, what would be your preferred leader with this setup?